Ouch! Have gas prices hit you yet?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Turner

Reaction score
I knew the price would surge because of Katrina, but dang I didn't know it would come so soon and so fast. Last night gas was $2.57 for regular. Today $3.09 for 87 octane. Over 50 cents within 24 hours. You have got to be kidding me! :wacko:

Yeah, I got a call from my boyfriend this afternoon and ran out of work to find it before it jumped. I drove past several stations that already jumped, and down the road found one that was still at $2.55 and the guy was changing the price when I was leaving. Phew! Close call. I also ordered a locking gas cap from Rusty. He has them in the specials section for something like $24 plus $8 S/H. Not a bad investment to keep the $60+ in my tank safe. Sadly, for some people, despirate times call for despirate measures. Heck, look at the looters in NO.

And I thought it was bad here! Gas jumped 12 cents in 12 hours here, to $2.57 for 87 octane, $2.67 for 89 and $2.77 for 93. Until last night, the price actually had been stable for about a week.

yup, average here is $3.56 a gallon....

Glad I have a locking gas cap....

Todd Z

It will jump everywhere if it has not done so already.

Bush has authorized the reserve to release some oil. Suppose to help control the price/increse.

We will see.....

I love how the price goes up even when the station did NOT get a delivery... SO they paied 2.00 a gallon for the stuff yesterday, and now charging 3.50.... Bastards...

Will they lower the price right away when the price goes down..NOPE!!!...

Todd Z

well up here in plattsburgh ny, i overheard someone say its 4 50 a gallon. there is no way that is the price. a double in a day? unless they got to deliveries, wtf? no i have to rely on public transportation to take girls out, now i cant make myself look good at college.

A guy just told me that, since this morning, regular gas down the street from work has now gone from $2.57 to $2.69 (in the same day that I said it had already gone up 12 cents from the previous night)! The only way I could drive any less than I already do would be to quit my job, so I guess I'm stuck paying whatever they're charging. :angry:

Just passed $3.00 here- up 20 cents in a day. I have heard the argument that station owners only make pennies on the gallon- well thats 20 more pennies on the same gas. I'm sure they are responding to news that the next delivery will cost more, but can't they wait until its here?

Im with you Bahb. It's a hassle plus I hate forking up the $32 for the cap. But since thats just a little over 10 gallons worth of fuel, I guess I'd better get one. Wonder if Rusty would consider a group buy.

When is the last time anyone had gas stolen from their vehicle? I'm just curious because it sounds like this is the newest trend - gas being stolen. I don't mean to attack those of you now buying locking gas caps. I don't think I'll be getting a locking gas cap for several reasons. First of all, I have never had this happen to me or heard this happening to anyone. Obviously, if this does happen to me anytime soon...I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. Secondly, how much gas can someone actually steal? They'd have to siphon from the ST straight into their vehicle to get all of your gas (so...make sure you park next to a curb where they can't park right next to your gas tank; hoping they don't have a long hose). Third...if they siphon into a gas can...how big of a gas can the normal person get these days. Carrying 20 gallons of fuel is pretty heavy. Maybe I should feel lucky I live in an area that isn't that high in crime. Afterall...anyone could come and steal my soft tonneau cover in a matter of 15 minutes and sell for $75-100, right?

Dunno why Ford doesn't put remote release fuel doors like all the import cars have. Functions as well as a locking gas cap, and no key/lock to mess with.

I just reach down next to my seat and pull up on the release cable to open the fuel door on my Toyota.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone can get a little pump that will drain your tank in a few minutes. I had a Carter electric pump on my old Galaxie that could drain the tank in about 20 minutes if the outlet was left open. It was rated at 72 gallons per hour free flow. I thought then that it would be easy to set up a pump and hose to steal someone else's gas. I never did anyhting with it, and I hope I haven't given anyone any ideas!

I've been in the shop all day and ahven't seen prices first hand, but my brother says it's gone up .25 or more, yesterday it was $2.69, with projections of >$4.00 by the end of next week.

Just passed a 76 station and it's $3.19 a gallon. I just know they will be out to change the numbers later this evening to a higher amount.

It's absolutely ridiculous, now where are all of our "friends" like Kuwait, Israel, Saudi, Iraq, etc.. to return the favor of ever helping them out? It's about time we collect on all those TRILLIONS of dollars worth of I.O.U.'s we have from damn near every nation on Earth.

50 cents a gallon hike since NOON here!!! $3.30. It cost me $100 to fill up my work van! At his rate I'll be out of business in 2-3 days! This place is going to Hell!