Ouch! Have gas prices hit you yet?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehfay, consider this possibility as well: A neighbor, rising earlier than you each morning, wanders over to your driveway with a small gas can and a hand pump. Each morning, he steals 1-2 gallons of gas from you, just little enough so that you don't notice, and perhaps attribute it to bad gas mileage. He does this nearly every morning for weeks.

I wouldn't put it past people, and even though I too live in a relatively crime-free neighborhood *knock on wood* I think it this case my one expenditure on a locking gas cap will be worth it, if only for peace of mind.

Where is the best place to order a locking gas cap? I just filled up today form costco for 2.71, the lowest ive seen it ANYWEHRE here in LA. The next cheapest price i saw was 2.98!!!

Prices seem to have jumped here in Phoenix by 30 cents in the last few hours. A couple of convenience stores were selling it at 2.69/gal at 9am this morning... they're now selling the same gasoline for 2.99/gal. :eek:

Conrad check in with Rusty, a site sponsor. That seems to be where most people are getting theirs for about $35. Click under specials and scroll down, you'll see it.

I am pretty sure I have read our trucks have a siphon-proof fill pipe. If this is the case, buying a locking gas cap would just be a waste. My truck is parked in a garage at night, and on a military base during the day, so I feel pretty safe. Most of the guys in my office leave their windows down during the day so their cars won't be hot inside when they go home (I only leave the rear window vented myself though).

I got gas after work, $2.79. While I was pumping a guy came out of the store and raised all the gas 30 cents/gal. Me and the guy across from me smiled at each other and I said "It's a good thing we got here when we did".

Saw prices as high as 3.69 this evening. Several stations near my home ran out. Other stations had very long lines.

The sad part: Most of this is pointless. The public is overreacting to hyped news reports, and it's putting a strain on local supplies. Case in point: People in the Atlanta area are panicked over reports of gulf coast pipeline disruptions. Not sure why, considering most of the gas we use comes in via seaport, not pipeline.

I agree, the public is fueling this to some extent. Everyone I know keeps topping off their tanks, assuming they will save a bunch of money if the price goes up again. Driving to the gas station and waiting in line for 30 minutes probably burns a gallon of gas, just so you can save $1.50 on four gallons of gas. You'd have to put 8 gallons in just to break even. :blink:

My last fill-up was on Saturday, and I paid $2.50/gal. I still have almost 1/2 a tank left.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not change my refueling habits... I'll not succumb to panic buying and only purchase fuel when my tank goes below 1/4 tank.

Rumors of a gas shortage in Tampa caused some stations to charge over $6/gallon, and there were lines down the street. Funny thing is a few miles down the road gas was $2.69/gallon with no lines. It was on the news tonight.

well its running about 2.80 to 3.00 bucks here in south carolina ....but its not the price we need to worry about........hell none of the gas stations has any gas....! all of the regular and the plus seems to be out on my side of town....i heard on the news that the piplines that feed the east coast were damaged during katrina...and one has been rigged to allow a 25% flow for the refineries.....so maybe we will get some here in the next few days.....hopefully, cause my trac loves tha gas.......and its funny you guys should mention it....i just went today and purchased a 22 dollar locking gas cap. i guess i get a little untrustworthy when prices get so high!:unsure:

Here in Hohenwald, Tn., (I call it Hole-in-the-Wall), prices have went from 2.49

on Monday morning to 2.99 tonight (Wed.) Personal friend of mine at the local BP/

Amoco said it will hit 3.25 to 3.50 dollars a gallon by Saturday. He has been

on the money so far this year.

Bushel of wheat for a barrel of oil. That's my opinion!!!:cool:

Well, some of us do have an option if gasoline runs out. We can go to the E-85 station to fill up. It won't be cheap, but it will get us from point A to Point B. ;)

I filled up both cars and a 5 gal can on Monday at $2.499. Saw this comming I must say. Totally pathetic. I hope these greedy bastards get whats comming to them. I am all for capitalism, but this is not capitialism, it's tyranny!

Between the hurricane damage to the supply chain and the holiday weekend, gas prices are going to run up. I'm confident that in a month or so prices will come back down but I doubt gas will ever go below $2.50 again.

I filled up this weekend at $2.42, but it's time to fill up again. Saw my first local $3+ gas price this morning on the way to work. 100 miles a day adds up fast.