OT: Wassup with the Muslim Cartoons?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
Seriously, that kindler, gentler Islamic religion is going crazy again, killing people in protest.

Someone once told me the old joke:

Jesus Saves.

Gretzky gets the rebound, he shoots, he SCORES!

I thought it was funny. I didn't want to kill anyone.

Thoughts?

They weren't videos, they were simply editorial cartoons that appeared in a Danish newspaper last September. My question is, why are Muslims just now getting upset about it?:huh: Seems like a convienient excuse for violence. Yup, Islam sure is a "peaceful" religion.:blink:

Neal Boortz had some interesting observations on Muslim "outrage":

Muslim outrage huh. OK ... let's do a little historical review. Just some lowlights:

--Muslims fly commercial airliners into buildings in New York City. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslim officials block the exit where school girls are trying to escape a burning building

because their faces were exposed. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims cut off the heads of three teenaged girls on their way to school in Indonesia. A

Christian school. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims murder teachers trying to teach Muslim children in Iraq. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims murder over 80 tourists with car bombs outside cafes and hotels in Egypt. No

Muslim outrage.

--A Muslim attacks a missionary children's school in India. Kills six. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims slaughter hundreds of children and teachers in Beslan, Russia. Muslims shoot

children in the back. No Muslim outrage.

--Let's go way back. Muslims kidnap and kill athletes at the Munich Summer Olympics. No

Muslim outrage.

--Muslims fire rocket-propelled grenades into schools full of children in Israel. No Muslim

outrage.

--Muslims murder more than 50 commuters in attacks on London subways and busses. Over

700 are injured. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims massacre dozens of innocents at a Passover Seder. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims murder innocent vacationers in Bali. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslim newspapers publish anti-Semitic cartoons. No Muslim outrage

--Muslims are involved, on one side or the other, in almost every one of the 125+ shooting

wars around the world. No Muslim outrage.

--Muslims beat the charred bodies of Western civilians with their shoes, then hang them from

a bridge. No Muslim outrage.

--Newspapers in Denmark and Norway publish cartoons depicting Mohammed. Muslims are

outraged.

Dead children. Dead tourists. Dead teachers. Dead doctors and nurses. Death, destruction and mayhem around the world at the hands of Muslims .. no Muslim outrage ... but publish a cartoon depicting Mohammed with a bomb in his turban and all hell breaks loose.

Come on, is this really about cartoons? They're rampaging and burning flags. They're looking for Europeans to kidnap. They're threatening innkeepers and generally raising holy Muslim hell not because of any outrage over a cartoon. They're outraged because it is part of the Islamic jihadist culture to be outraged. You don't really need a reason. You just need an excuse. Wandering around, destroying property, murdering children, firing guns into the air and feigning outrage over the slightest perceived insult is to a jihadist what tailgating is to a Steeler's fan.

I know and understand that these bloodthirsty murderers do not represent the majority of the world's Muslims. When, though, do they become outraged? When do they take to the streets to express their outrage at the radicals who are making their religion the object of worldwide hatred and ridicule? Islamic writer Salman Rushdie wrote of these silent Muslims in a New York Times article three years ago. "As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming?"

Indeed. Why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not find any of those pictures offensive at all. Then again, I am used to people making fun of my faith.

Tom

Funny, I don't recall Catholics committing acts of violence back in 1999 when a picture of the Virgin Mary splattered with elephant dung was put on display at the Brooklyn Museum of Art.

What this highlights is how huge the cultural gap between the Democratic West and the Muslim world is. As part of this protest, Muslim nations want an elected, democratic government to punish journalists for excercising free speech. Yeah, that's gonna work.

I don't have any answers, but the practical side of me recalls a line from the movie Patton, when George C. Scott, as Patton, tells his superiors that we might as well fight the Russians while the U.S. Army is already in Europe.

We happen to have an army in Iraq...

How about this cartoon that appeared in the 29 January Washington Post?

[Broken External Image]:

Does anyone find it offensive?

My point exactly, Tom. I find it offensive, also. However, the Constitution that I have sworn to defend for the last 20 years upholds both the author's right to illustrate the cartoon, and the Post's right to publish it in the First Amendment.

There are other ways to express one's dissatisfaction over something like this (boycotts, letters to the editor, etc.). Like I said, this was just a convienient excuse for Muslims to incite violence, much like what happened recently in France.

More info behind this Muslim cartoon controversy:

February 7, 2006

The War Behind the Cartoon War

By Jack Kelly

The Cartoon War began innocently enough. Kare Bluitgen, a Danish writer of childrens' books, complained he couldn't find anyone to illustrate the book he was writing about the Prophet Mohammed. The Danish newspaper Jyllands Posten invited cartoonists to offer their own interpretations. A dozen accepted. Jyllands Posten published their work last Sept. 30th.

Extreme Muslim sects, such as the Wahhabis of Saudi Arabia, regard any depiction of Mohammed as blasphemy. (The Koran prohibits only "idolatry," and throughout the last millenium Muslim artists have painted likenesses of the Prophet.) Radical Muslims in Denmark issued death threats, and the cartoonists went into hiding. On Oct. 20th, ambassadors from 11 Muslim countries asked for a meeting with Danish Prime Minister Andres Rasmussen to complain about the caricatures. Mr. Rasmussen said he was sorry the cartoons had given offense, but refused to meet with the ambassadors because "as prime minister I have no tool whatsoever to take actions against the media, and I don't want that kind of tool."

There matters rested until last month, when four Muslim clerics from Denmark, led by Abu Laban, who has terrorist connections, toured the Middle East. They had with them the 12 original cartoons, plus three truly vile ones (one depicts Mohammed with a pig's snout; another shows him as a pedophile) apparently of their own concoction.

On January 29th, gunmen in Gaza took over the offices of the European Union. In response, some newspapers in Norway, Germany and France published the cartoons to show solidarity with their Danish colleagues. This led to massive protests in the Middle East and among Muslims in Europe.

The editor of Jyllands Posten has apologized for publishing the cartoons, and the leader of the largest Muslim association in Denmark has accepted the apology. But it may be too late to put the genie back into the bottle, because radical Muslims seek to fan the flames.

"We want blood on the streets of England," said Muslim protestors in London, though no British newspaper has yet published the offending cartoons.

Saudi Arabia promoted the controversy to distract attention from the trampling deaths of 345 pilgrims in Mecca Jan. 12th, said "The Religious Policeman," a Saudi Web logger. The deaths attracted little attention in the West, but were big news in the Arab world.

Most of the anti-Western violence has taken place in Syria and Lebanon, where the Danish and Norwegian embassies were burned down.

Syria is a dictatorship. A mob could not have burned the building where the Danish and Norwegian embassies were located without the tacit permission, if not the encouragement, of the regime.

Syria also retains considerable influence in Beirut, where the rioting was not spontaneous. Syria would love to distract attention from the UN probe into the assassination of Lebanese politician Rafik Hariri, in which Syria is implicated.

Iran has been, after Saudi Arabia, the nation most active in promoting the boycott. The International Atomic Energy Agency has referred Iran to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions against its nuclear weapons program. The nation that will chair the Security Council when the IAEA recommendation is taken up, British Web logger David Conway noted, is Denmark.

"Suddenly the pieces fall into shape," he said. "The rumpus suddenly escalated, complete with fabricated offensive cartoons, to so inflame Muslim opinion that Denmark could be intimidated...into voting in favor of Iran."

Most of Europe's political leaders would like to respond with more appeasement. But ordinary Europeans wonder why they must accommodate the demands of bullying immigrants who have swollen their crime rates and welfare<

The Muslims are upset because they requested the cartoons not be "re printed" as a respect of their faith. The cartoons were then "re printed" a short time later and that has erupted into what is taking place now. I also see a post up above that mentions something about Catholics not causing violence. I think if you take a minute to read some history of Catholicism you will see that this religion has killed more people in its name than the Muslims could ever dream about. I am not supporting any of this just stating some additional information.

I think if you take a minute to read some history of Catholicism you will see that this religion has killed more people in its name than the Muslims could ever dream about. I am not supporting any of this just stating some additional information.

True, but Catholicism, like most of the other major religions in the world, has become much more tolerant and civilized over time as society in general has evolved. I said that Catholics didn't incite violence in 1999, not that that Catholicism had never been involved in any violent acts at all throughout history.

If you read through my posting of Boorz's observations above, most of the violent acts he referred to were committed within the last 25 years, with the exception of the '72 Olympics slaughter. It seems that Islam is stuck about 1,000 years in the past.

I don't see any Muslim leaders the actions of the faith. I have to assume it is not only a few, but totally condoned by most. I whole heartedly agree with TrainTrac, they're stuck in 1000 years in the past. They have zero religious tolerance and their negotiation tool is violence.

All I thought when I read about the violence regarding this was: "Wow, how are they (muslims) going to extend the blame for this to the US."

Since the US seems to be perceived as the root of all evil, it always seems like a matter of time until it is blamed for something in connection to the cartoons. Maybe the US supplies the ink that was used in the cartoons...:wacko:

I am a Christian. I take offence to the poo splattered image of Mary. I take offence to the indecency of "modern art" when the artist sticks a crucifix int a glass of urine. But you know what??!

In America, we have the right to free speech. We have the right to Life, Liberty and the Persuit of Happiness. Nowhere does it say that I have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED.

To all the muslims out there that abhore this type of behavior, SPEAK UP!! These radicals are trashing your image far worse than David Koresh did to the Christian Fundamentalist movement.

Does anyone really think that giving these people the ability to make nuclear weapons is going to bring peace to the world?

It might exist with me just not hearing about it, but so far, I have not heard of any such violence by AMERICAN Muslims.

Which, to me, indicates that this isn't so much an issue with the Muslim faith, as it is with the Middle Eastern culture as practiced in their home region.