Open Letter From A Dodge Dealer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nik said
I may be completely ignorant of the situation, but isnt part of the problem the UAW and other unions not making consessions and giving up some of what they currently have to help out?

Sure, from a certain POV that is one problem. The other POV is that the unions were guaranteed benefits and certain other terms by their contracts and they should not be obligated to concede them because of a corporation's failure to make a profit.

I can see both sides on this.

But there is the old saying about killing the golden goose. The other old saying is hindsight is 20/20. Both sayings are appropriate here.

In hindsight, corporations simply cant compete on a global scale and give lucrative pensions, high hourly wages, pay for job banks, and deliver to their employees many of the excesses that union employees have come to rely on. Consider me biased (or not), but I feel that's a simple economical fact.

Yes, when times are good, corporations can be strong-armed into giving these things to their union employees. And, in the past few decades even when times were NOT good, the same corporations got strong-armed into continuing to deliver the goods. Thats where the killing of the golden goose comes in.

So, now we have the UAW with a controlling interest in Chrysler. The same organization that shares in the blame for its downfall will be more in control. Is that really a good thing?

I agree they are not obligated, but in the face of the current situation, wouldnt giving up consessions, even temporarily, help out? Even just a little bit?

Union or not CEO or line worker we all choose our careers and how far we will take them. The choice is up to the individual.

Agree with the 'choice' issue. When I was a construction special inspector, I would teach the new young kids that during the summer, work as much overtime and SAVE YOUR MONEY! Cuz when winter comes, there may be no work, especially since you would be bottom of the pole. Now I work for the city and I knew that this current situation (good times) would not last. I was prepared for a layoff long ago. I got missed this round, but there may be another. Carefull planning can make up for whatever career you choose. Instead of laying blame, work on preparing.

Union or not CEO or line worker we all choose our careers and how far we will take them. The choice is up to the individual.

We had a saying in the Navy that reflects this: "Choose your rate, choose your fate".

Nik,

Yes, giving a little would help matters, but more often than not the worker sees the handwriting on the wall and at that point they figure they might as well get all they can get while they can get it.

TJR

Pres Obama stated that the dealerships were being closed because of cost insues and the attempt to save money. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the dealerships pay the company? Don't the dealerships provide service centers for the Company? Don't they buy inventotry from the company? What is the rationale for closing them?

The Chrysler dealer here in my little town (which is not closing, in fact, none of dealerships here are closing) said that almost all, if not all, of the Chrysler dealerships that are closing sell less than 100 cars a year (U.S. dealership national average is @300). And yes, as the dealer above stated, the closed dealers business will go to the better performing dealerships (survival of the fittest).

No opinion here, just reporting what he said.

JerryA makes a good point about saving and planning. I think whats got alot of people in this mess more than others is lack of savings and planning. I admit, I dont have a savings right now either, a 2mo old will do that to ya. I get me 401K statements and see that dwindling so retirement will be out of the question, granted I have a loooooooooong time before I can even think of that so it gives me a loooooooooong time to save. As Americans, we tend to live in the here and now, I want this now, so I put it on credit and worry about paying later. I am guilty of this as Im sure many many others are too. The blame cant be only given to the banks or car manufacturers or even the companies that have left the country to "save a buck for profit" the blame also lies on the American people who live outside their means and max out the equity in their house for our beloved toys, maxing out credit cards and living paycheck to paycheck. Trust me, I know. I work for Citi as a collector on the Sears accounts and talk to more people than I should be in the same situation. Granted, unforseen things happen, but with savings and planning would help ease the situation, though not alleviate it all together. I for one need to start saving for the bad times to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts