Oil question for Todd Z! Or anyone else! :o)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlunchbox

Reaction score
Question for you sir! I believe I read it here somewhere but can't find it about using a heavier engine oil? I still but 5w30 in but do have a slight pining upon hard acceleration. Sounds like the tappets maybe. I am told the heavier engine oil helps and I thought you mentioned that you did put a different weight in your trac. Thanks buddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I run 10W30 but its not for pinging...... that sounds like detonation to me.... Try using the next step up grade gas..... if it goes away you, need a tune up or clean MAF, a different tune if running an XCAL, or you have a small vacuum leak...

I run the heavier oil as i always let my ST warm up... it does a lot of idling with work and i drive the snot out of it....

Todd Z

A small vac leak would cause that? I never knew! So I should just stay with the 5w30 then? I don't have an XCAL so I will try the 89octane next fill up. Haven't had an actual tune up since I have had her so thats probably something that needs to be done. MAF hasn't been cleaned either...

It could be..... its a simple check...

Todd Z

I agree with Todd's opinion on detonation. How many miles on this truck? I'd do the simple stuff first - run a bottle of AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver to clean out deposits in fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers. Check your air filter, MAF sensor and throttle body. Pull a spark plug or two to see how they look - many OEs say they're good for 100K, but my personal preference is 50K. If you have any oil questions I'd be happy to help.

Does the 03 have the timing chain tensioner issues that the 01's had? Could it be timing chain rattle? (I heard mine on hard accel like you describe, and that was the issue)

Mrlunchbox,

I would stay with the 5W30. If you have a pinging, oil is not the cause of it. I had 189K on mine, using 0W30, when I had it replaced and I had no issues.

I'd start with Todd's sugestion - Do a Tune-Up.

[Broken External Image]:

I've posted a short article on synthetic oil in the Maintenance section of Projects. If I can be of further help let me know.

Latest posts