Nuclear meltdowns in Japan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest I've heard, it's under control and things are proceeding well. The radiation level in the control room, even though it's 1000 times higher than normal, is still less after an hour of exposure than you get during a 5-minute CT scan.

One reactor has had half the core exposed already, This is the one they're flooding with sea water in a desperate effort to prevent it from a complete meltdown. They lost control of a second reactor next to it, a partial meltdown, and there is actually a third reactor at a related site 20-kilometers away they have also lost control over. We have never had a situation like this before.

This will reach the United States. experts say.

Nukes are forever.

Really? Didn't know that.

Nuclear energy is perfectly safe even in Japan as long as all safety measures are in place. I am wondering if the proper safety measures, controls, and procedures were in place.

I doubt it.

Tom

My experience with the Japanese and their following specifications and regulations are such that I would rather stand next to one of their reactors during a melt-down than one of ours during normal operation. LOL

...and that LOL is not to make light of what I just said...sure, I am being somewhat comical, but there are huge (not radioactive) doses of sincerity in what I am saying.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
One reactor has had half the core exposed already, This is the one they're flooding with sea water in a desperate effort to prevent it from a complete meltdown. They lost control of a second reactor next to it, a partial meltdown, and there is actually a third reactor at a related site 20-kilometers away they have also lost control over. We have never had a situation like this before.

This will reach the United States. experts say.

Where are you getting your news from? Because all the sources I'm hearing and reading are saying that radiation levels are now back to normal.

My experience with the Japanese and their following specifications and regulations are such that I would rather stand next to one of their reactors during a melt-down than one of ours during normal operation. LOL

How much experience do you have in the nuclear energy industry?

Tom

"Nuclear energy is perfectly safe even in Japan as long as all safety measures are in place. I am wondering if the proper safety measures, controls, and procedures were in place.

I doubt it."

"How much experience do you have in the nuclear energy industry?"

and you??????

me, not much at all.

"I know a thing or two about them"

so where do you get your info that japan did not have proper safety measures in place ??

Caymen,

I will be the first to admit that I don't have much experience in the nuclear energy industry, but I do have quite a bit experience in technology, safety and regulatory in general, both in the US and internationally, serving on standards groups, etc.

But I have to admit, I didn't think this was going to be a penis length contest of sorts. I typically don't compete in those. I've found that the ones quickest to "whip out" are usually the ones with the most to prove, or the most eager to prove. I've got nothing to prove.

The point of my post was that from my experience, when it comes to following regulations, meeting specifications, and adhering to standards, the Japanese (on average and given my experience) tend to kick American's arses. Does that hold over to make their nuke plants safer than ours? I can't say. I can only say what I have experienced.

See how easy it is NOT to talk CRAP! All I did was post an opinion based on my experiences. I made no claims, especially no absolute assertions.

TJR

so where do you get your info that japan did not have proper safety measures in place ??

I know from experience that with the proper safety procedures, controls, and measures, leaks don't happen. How bad the leak is is the deciding factor.

See how easy it is NOT to talk SHIT!

It is so easy that you continue to do so.

Tom

again, do you have enough experience to know that when a MAJOR earthquake strikes??

Gary, you got me. I know nothing. This was just a futile attempt to discredit Toyota.

What do you think?

Tom

Caymen,

Talking SHIT is when you say something it is clearly, 100%, not TRUE, can't be TRUE, and in now way, and under no person's POV can be true.

I try to NEVER TALK CRAP!

That's why I try to never talk in absolutes, and always qualify what I say as being based on my experience, or my POV.

Case-in-point, your TALKING CRAP above.

All you had to do is say: "It is so easy that you SEEM to continue to do so.", and you wouldn't be talking crap.

But, your arrogant nature of assuming you are always 100% right has you talking crap...SEEMINGLY all the time!

;-)

Oh, and BTW, which of the below are you really trying to say:

a. Leaks don't happen if all the proper safety precautions, controls and measures are in place

or

b. Severe leaks don't happen if all the proper safety precautions, controls and measures are in place

or

c. Under all foreseeable and probable events, severe leaks don't happen if all the proper safety precautions, controls and measures are in place

I ask because a reckless man would say a, and would in my estimation be "talking crap", while a more cautious man might assert b, and the truly wise man would be able to most back up the statements made in c.

Again, see my point?

TJR

No, you are too critical on everything anyone says and you have been called out about it before.

Leaks don't happen when the control measures are in place. The design of a reactor keeps any types of leaks contained. If there are leaks, then something wasn't built right.

Chernobyl is an example of poor steel being used. Three Mile Island is an example of failure of a valve. Davis Besse is an example of lack of maintanance.

All three of these incidents could have been prevented if the proper measures were in place.

Tom

Latest posts