New wheels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
I found a deal on some 2012 f150 FX4 wheels and tires and was wondering if they will fit if I get some wheel adapters since the lug pattern is 6x135. The deal is almost too good to pass on but if I can't make them work I might as well pass. The tire size on the wheels are 275/65 on 18x7.5. I'd be thankful for any help.

To go from a 5-lug to a 6-lug wheel requires a 2-piece adapter, which aren't cheap for a good quality set, and I honestly don't think I'd run them on a daily driven truck. I've used several sets of 1-piece adapters on all sorts of vehicles over the years with no problems, but I'm not a fan of the design of the 2-piece.

I have seen the adapters and the reviews are mostly good. Of course there will always see some bad in every product. Prices are not too bad. Much less than I would spend on new wheels. The rims I'm buying are in great shape and extremely cheap. If it doesn't work out I can sell the rims for more than what I'm going to be spending.

The two key measurements are the thickness of the adapters and the offset of the F-150 wheels. I'm not I big fan of tires sticking outside the body and your wheel bearings probably wouldn't be either.

I would also be concerned about the overall tire diameter and the possibility of them rubbing on the body. A 275/65/18 tire is probably right around 32" in diameter. On my '07 ST I am running 265/70/17s which are 31.6" tall but I am also using Rancho QuickLIFT shocks. I had tire rub issues without the QuickLIFTs and the tires you are considering are even larger.

I'll end up putting smaller tires on them to make them fit. As far as I have read the first number is the width of the tire and the second is the percentage of the width that would be between the rim and the outside of the tire. I'm sure if I work with some numbers I'll find some tires that are going to work. If not I'm out a little more than $350with the wheels and adapters, plus the new tires. I'm sure I could sell everything eventually and make some profit.

From tirerack.com the formula for calculating approximate tire diameter would be [(cross section width x aspect ratio x 2) divided by 25.4 (conversion factor for mm to inches)] + wheel diameter in inches = tire diameter in inches. They don't state the formula in those exact terms but that is my interpretation to simplify the calculation.

For a 275/65/18 tire where X = Tire Diameter:

[(275mm x .65 x 2) / 25.4] + 18" = X

(375.5mm / 25.4) + 18" = X

14.075" + 18" = X

32.075" = X = Tire Diameter :haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome info blksn8k! You made me feel like I was back in math class with that explanation. haha Thank you! now I can figure out what size will fit. I will probably try and find something close to stock, maybe a little bigger.

You're welcome. Or you could also cheat and just look up your tire specs on tirerack.com but what fun would that be? :grin:

Did some math and looks like some where around 255/60r18 or 65 is going to work. I'll play with some more numbers and talk to the guys at the tire shop and see what can work. Thanks for all the info blksn8k!:supercool:

Latest posts