My Transmission and my wife

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Since you TOLD me you did that.... Then thats what i know....

I also know that the Reverse clutch is HELD active while the tranny is in some forward gears to make the planetary work properly, SO that clutch gets beat doing the gear drop...

Todd Z

todd,

i am pretty confident that the few occassions i did down shift was not enough to kill the tranny. but then again you are the expert !!

ford ackowledged it was faulty from production. i guess they were wrong :huh:

less,

i always have tranny issues ?

do you homework on the tranny problems with the gen2 V-8.

also you say ALWAYS. i have owned way more vehicles in the last 10 years, then you probably had in your life. NEVER a tranny problem except my 04 & 07 s/t.

so it is wise to keep your comments to yourself :wacko:

After 22 replies. Interesting tone in some responses. Assumed that the 5 speed was bullet proof but may not. Here is what I learned: I will stop using the transmission for slowing down using the 3 and 2 positions. I will keep using the OD as I feel fit. I will stop manually shifting (1,2,3,d). I have only done this very rarely. The downshifting practice still doesn't make sense this is harmful but opinion supports that this may be the case. I guess I stuck in the 70s where we used to put B&M shift kits in our tranyies. I would have thought today's tranyies are better than those of the 70s. If 1,2,3 postions are meant for towing, don't understand why not towing makes it hard on the trany but since I am going to stop the practice, I don't need to understand.

To Todd Z: Thanks for just keeping it simple with some facts.

The brake issue is something I wish I hadn't mention.

It should be noted that who ever said they come out of OD on hills is doing it correct, either direction. You don't want it to shift up and down a lot going up and your brakes can't handle big hills going down on their own. That's why signs tell trucks to use low gears on the way down.

Gary,

You tell me one thing in person and on the phone, But type something different here.....

I can only go on what you told me...

If you now say it was only a couple of times, Then so be it, But please give me correct information then...

Todd Z

todd,

never said i did it on a regular basis. if i did and you were aware of it, why would you purchase it with all the extra miles i put on it after the tranny was repaired?

if i constantly "abused" it and you were aware, i think you are smart enough to stay away.

with respect, i will no longer discuss this on line.

less,

04&07 were work vehicles. your point? btw, they are treated as well as my owned vehicles.

i meant to say, i currenty own more vehicles now (7) then you owned in the last 20 years :lol:

so like i said, it is wise to keep your comments to yourself ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I wouldn't ask people what people think and then get pissed when they tell me!! JMO!

'07 ST:D

You tell me one thing in person and on the phone, But type something different here.....

I am starting to see a pattern now.

It is a Ford, eff'it, I will run the crap out of it and abuse it.

Ohh, it is a Toyota, I will baby it. That makes them last forever.

Tom

tom,

when you take a swing at me, what do you expect?

your lil' world is calling you :rolleyes:

Amazing how the same two members both get there pantys in a twist and tottally fubar a thread, Kiss and make up ladys.

Wish my Trac had a 6-speed ZF in it, or else a beefed up Turbomatic 400.

Anyway, shift away however you feel, Russ. Most of us drive how we like, not how others tell us to.

Besides, if the transmission blows and the brakes croak, either way you will be helping to stimulate the economy. If the money bothers you, just call Obama and tell him you are a wall street investor or a banker and you'll get a few more big fat stimulus checks! :banana:

Although I can see how manually downshifting the automatic transmission when coming to a stop each time can put more stress and undue wear on the internals, I really don't feel that manually running up through the gears on take off hurts the transmission. Are you adding to the wear and tear of the shifter, sure you are, but are you putting more stress on the transmission itself I really don't think so.