My Transmission and my wife

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Lynas

Reaction score
I have an 08 with a V6. I have this habbit (because Ford Sport Trac brakes suck) to occasionally shift or down shift my transmission. I enjoy taching out the engine once in a while but don't exceed 5500 RPM. The high octane performance tune really kicks when I do that and its fun. My wife gets upset that when slowing down, I actually take it out of OD, then to three and then two 2. I told her, if manually shifting or downshifting (mild engine braking) then Ford would not have put a 1, 2, 3, D and an OD switch. I have a class III hitch (small square) and would not tow with this ST but dont see how using the transmisstion actually hurts it. I can't believe the 1,2,3 are reseved for just towing or getting stuck, or in slow muddy conditons. My ST has never seen mud, much less drive in it, but I did haul 10 pounds of dirt in a bag. Once!

So....what do you fine folks think? About the shifting part. not the dirt hauling part. And one other thing, in Texas, there is no "my" transmission, it is "our" transmission. I just learn that from her this very day.:blink:

IF you think your brakes suck you should get them looked at. I have an 08 v6 4x2 and the brakes on mine will put you through the windshield in a heartbeat. I tow a trailer and 2 quads with mine on a regular basis adn the brake performance has always been excellent.

That's a great way to ruin the transmission and put more strain on the motor and tranny than needed. I say give her the ST and go find a manual transmission to play with.:wacko::lol::p

Russ,

Tyler, a 17 year-old kid at the time asked the same question a couple of years ago. He may still be lurking. At that time all the old-timers chastised him, and all agreed that what he and you are doing is a very bad thing.

This will cause excessive wear on the transmission. If you wanted a manual transmission you should have bought a manual transmission (which I think means not the '08 ST, right?).

As for your argument that "Ford wouldn't have out 1, 2, 3 and D there if not to be used", well then the same could be said with R. It's there right? Why shouldn't you be able to go 50 MPH down the highway and slap it into reverse to slow down really fast? Of course, that example sounds absurd, but frankly, so does "down shifting" an automatic....just varying degrees of absurdity there.

Stop doing it. Your wife will be happy and your ST tranny, which are notoriously fragile to begin with, will last longer.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't tow, OD, 2 & 1 are for when your PCV elbow blows and your truck stalls as you're hurtling towards stopped traffic and the emergency brake and the brake pedal alone aren't cutting it.

I asked this same question, since downshifting on hills was so convenient that I extended it to daily driving, and was told that the other gears are there for towing and emergencies...and I attest that they do work in emergencies. Using downshifting in an emergency was a far better option than the tan nissan sedan that I would have otherwise hit, and that is why Ford gave them to us.

Bottom line....Russ do yourself a favor knock it off.

You will notice that your truck will run much quieter by not doing that. In your case you are creating an issue where your truck will develope a shrilling/shreaking noise from the right side of the passenger cabin. This noise will not go away easily and will continue even once the truck it parked. Driving the truck the way it was intended will prevent many future headaches. It's a small price to pay to enjoy nice smooth & quiet operating truck.

My motto:

"Happy wife, happy life!"

Grow up a bit! It sounds like you are driving like a 16-year old!

Brake shoes are a hell of a lot cheaper than a transmission anyway. If you think our brakes are weak, you need to learn more about our sucky transmissions.

Only pull a automatic down a gear or two in an emergency. Such as down hill engine breaking, to slow a runaway or not to over heat the brakes

If you have enough $$ you can get your trans built wth manual valve bodys and the parts that will hold the torture.

Manually shifitng an automatic trans, does not hurt it, if done correctly. It would be better if you had a manual valve body on the trans though. besides if you put the trans in 1st or 2nd and push the pedal to the floor, it will eventually shift for you anyway. There is a safety swicth that wont allow for you to keep it in there. Manual valves are fun, especially for muddin. Just my 2 cents.

Boodro

I happen to own a 2004 ST that has a rebuilt tranny in it, as a matter of fact it got that tranny around 20K miles due to the old owner doing the same thing...

I NEVER do it, not worth it..

Todd Z

Wow, who would've thought you would get such passionate responses to a questions like that. It's not like you slammed Obama or anything! ;)

I take my Bronco (OK...it's the hubby's Bronco) out of OD when going down hills just to avoid riding the brakes. Everyday I have to go down a fairly steepe grade to get home and the speed limit is only 35. And, like you, I love to hear that dual exhaust rumble. It sounds just like every V8 should sound. Now with my ST, I downshift for most stops for the same reason. Except the ST doesn't have dual exhaust yet but my single Manga Flow exhaust still gives me a little thrill. Yes, I know brakes are cheaper than a new clutch...bla bla bla. Bottom line, I love the sound of the exhaust when down-shifting so I'm willing to keep replacing the clutch just to hear that sound. It may not be logical, but hey, sometimes you just have to say WTF.

If you think the brakes stink you must not have read this forum enough to know the tranny is worse. Although I have to completely disagree with the brakes not being very good. My ST will stop on a dime with 35's.

However you will make a mechanic very happy soon when he is taking $2k from you.

It is very hilly where I live. I downshift out of OD a lot and sometimes down to 3, but that's all and only when coming down hills, not for routine stops.

Sport Trac brakes are vastly superior to Ranger brakes, I had two of those before. By comparison I think ST brakes are pretty darn good.

My wife resolutely refuses to downshift on hills, ever, and I put a lot of front brakes and rotors on her car.

todd,

i don't recall you sitting in the trac with me everyday. :huh:

ford ackowledged it was a problem with reverse !!!!