Moving parts...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaninVa

Reaction score
As I tried to get out of my chair the other day it occurred to me that moving parts do not like to sit still too long. I think this applies to our vehicles as well as ourselves. Many of the problems mentioned here can be prevented by just exercising those parts. It would be a good thing to move all moving parts on occasion. I have thought of many parts that rarely get moved. We all realize that 4X4 systems need engaging on a regular basis but there are so many others that never get exercised. So I thought of a few that might be helpful to our members:

Windows...open and close all windows every once in a while.

Moonroofs...open and close both positions occasionally. also, clean and treat mating surfaces.

Heating and cooling...cycle system through all positions. Don't forget to move A/C vents too.

Doors...open and close all doors using both inside and outside handles. Use your key in the lock every once in a while and don't forget the tailgate lock.

Operate the parking brake. I use mine every time I park.

Seats...operate the seat mechanisms especially electric ones. Fold down the rear seats.

These are just a few that came to mind. I am sure there are more that others can suggest. I hope we can avoid the old adage of "use it or lose it." :banana:

Exercise the 4x4 too in rainy conditions once a month !!!

Todd Z

I thought of a couple of other things...

CD player...in addition to using it...eject and reload a disc now and then.

Leather...while I am sure we are all using a cleaner/conditioner 3 or 4 times a year...don't forget the steering wheel and shift knob.

outside mirrors....move them occasionally.

flip your sun visors once in a while.

if you have adjustable pedals...move them too.

In winter...make sure to cycle your AC compressor on once a month.

Just remember..if it moves, spins or pivots....let it do that every now and then and it will last much longer.

Good post. Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer. :supercool: