Modern Aftermarket Sync Success?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
Has anyone heard any success stories of adding Ford Sync to a modern Ford aftermarket?

Ford claims that sync is so popular that they don't offer it as an upgrade kit to modern cars, I think their kit only works on 09 mustangs. I've emailed Ford (after going through the maze that is their site to find how to do so) but I haven't heard back yet.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a 3rd party product that is comparable to sync? The only problem with that is the difficulty of replacing the Ford head unit with something that does not look awful as the fusion radio is weirdly shaped. At least it is replaceable, unlike the 2012 Escape.

I would have gotten sync on my fusion in the first place, but Ford decided to make a bundle of it with the skylight, which wasn't comfortable for me. I'm seriously considering swapping my 2012 fusion for a 2013, mainly for sync (secondly for ecoboost).

Honestly, The SYNC is DUMB !! I have it in my 2010 and honestly without the Nav in the radio, its just a glorified Blue tooth !! With the Sat radio and Aux In, I don't use Blue tooth Music and all the dialing features.... IT doesn't read texts with the Iphone, ( i hate my android) So for me, Not worth it !!!

I bought a Blue tooth Rear view mirror that has the FM transmitter for my 2003 ST..... Works perfect and to me is just like that features i need of the Sync...

Todd Z

Wow, I'm shocked to hear that there are people on Earth who don't like Sync. So far it's only weakness IMO is how its effectiveness is reduced with other people in the car.

I store a lot of music on my phone, so when I plug it into the Sync it not only charges my phone but gives me voice and steering wheel controls to navigate through all the thousands of tracks. Just using the line-in means that if I want to change tracks, I'll have to mess with my phone while I'm driving. Technically that's legal here in MD, but it's still not a smart idea.

I only have an Android phone, so I'm glad for the Sync voice commands. It doesn't have an iPhone-like button to press on my phone to have it take voice commands. If it did, I'd have to turn off the radio manually, so that the phone could "hear" me. Sync does that for me automatically. I'm not a fan of wearing the bluetooth headset for long periods of time.

I don't care much about the bluetooth streaming audio, Pandora blows through my data cap and drives me nuts when I'm not in a 4g area as the songs have to buffer before they play. But it's nice that it is there. Satellite Radio is nice to have, but it doesn't cut it by itself as often I find all the stations I care for playing songs that I don't care for, and then I need my voice commands to play my massive MP3 collection.

If only the sync from a 2010 Gen 2 st were compatible with the 2012 Fusion I would gladly buy the your sync off you, but the internet informs me that it is model specific and, after that, vin specific. Lame.

Latest posts