Mac / PC compatibility

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
Hi--

We're considering getting an iMac. If we do, however, we'd want to be sure that we have PC file compatibility--that is, files generated on our iMac would be readable on a PC, and vice versa. File types in question would include MS Word and other Office files, photo/graphic files, music/mp3 files, and the like.

I've asked a couple of people in my employers IT group. One had no idea, had never worked with anything Mac, ever. The other told me that the files would work, but there might be issues with getting them from one system to another. A file that was e-mailed from one and opened in the other would work fine. But if I were to burn them to a CD, for example, there may be issues with the fact that Windows uses NTFS file format and Macs use OSX format, so the disk might not be readable. He wasn't sure if this issue would affect a USB thumb drive or a USB or Firewire external disk drive. And even if this issue exists, he wasn't sure if either Leopard or Vista have made it a non-issue.

I thought someone here might have more knowledge about it. Note that I don't understand the tech specifics on this--I am barely able to spell NTFS, let alone know what it is or how that might be an issue. So if any of you have further knowledge and care to respond, I'd really appreciate it if you were to "dumb it down". :) Should I expect to have any issues at all in taking files from Mac-to-PC, or from PC-to-Mac?

Thanks!

Thumb drives will work on both to transfer files. I'm unsure about cd's/dvd in a data format though. Music/Movies will work on them though.

Word and all other office files will work assuming you install office on the mac.

mp3's will also work fine.

Bill, I work on both PC's and Mac everyday at work. I use a thumb drive to transfer documents (mostly word and excel), music, and images. As much as I don't care for their marketing, Macs play very well with PCs.

The only thing that will be odd is if you work on a Word (.doc) file on a PC, and then open it on a Mac, when you are in Page Layout view, there will be a light gray grid in the background. This is not visible on the PC, only the mac. I don't know why and have been unsuccessful in my search to get rid of it. It does not print on the page, and if you view the page in Normal view it's not there either. I cannot explain it. So, if you don't already, get used to viewing all Word documents in Normal view.

And one last word of advice, with the Mac especially, when you remove the thumb drive, make sure to "safely remove" it by ejecting the drive. Otherwise, it WILL "corrupt" the files on the thumb drive. My PC does not do this, but the Macs will.

Hope this helps.

Jenn

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a iMac G5 & a windows based computer side by side at work.

If you want an iMac to understand Windows file types....you should get "Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac"

This will allow you to run windows OS on your Mac as well as your Mac OS X (with no slow downs) and integrate your files and applications.

Good Luck!

The iMac is a beautiful machine, I just invested in one myself. The beautiful thing about it, especially with the Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor is that you can partitian your hard drive to run both Windows and OSX. If your computer came with OSX Leopord, you should have a program called Boot Camp. This program allows you to install Windows on your iMac and transfer files back and forth flawlessly.

i think.

ST

Thanks all!

Canadian Sport Trac and Shaun.t--But now that means buying a copy of Windows (or Vista) to use on the Mac, in addition to buying Parallels. Right? Any way to do it without spending money on a second OS? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Bill,

If you have OSX Leopord, you will not need to buy parallels, just Windows.

However, if you only have OSX, you can upgrade to leopord for something like $10 with a form given to you by your local MAC distributor. I'm still sittin on my butt with that one, but plan to do it soon. For me, Windows only cost something like $150..

i should mention that Boot Camp is a FREE download from the MAC website if it is not already on your machine...you still need OSX Leopord tho

For me, Windows probably only costs about $150 as well. But that's $150 that may break this computer purchase budget. Which may, in turn, cause me to revert back to a PC.

I have owned PC's since I can remember, back in the 8088 Days. Last year I purchased a macbook. 2 weeks later I replaced my PC at home with an iMac 24". I absolutely love mac. I was able to transfer all of my Outlook contacts over flawlessly from PC to Mac. All document files work fine on both systems. I am the only mac user in my company and have no problem sending spreadsheets, creating PDF's, etc. You can read and write to jump drives, external USB drives, CD's and all other media formats, you just have to make sure the drive is not formated by windows as an NTFS file system. If you do run parallels on your mac you can run windows within a mac window. It's pretty cool. We use it in our DJ booth here. Some software we require is only available for windows so we use a USB to Serial adapter and run Windows on the mac with no problem what soever. You can even copy files on your mac desktop to your windows desktop on your mac (if that makes sense). I Highly recommend it. And the mouse is actually a 3 button, it looks like a single button but there are actually 3 on it.

if you have $50 extra dollars after you buy the iMAC you can buy 'Microsoft Parallels' and it transforms your mac into a pc. it has the same type format and everything just research on it. The only problem i have every expierenced with file changes is getting pictures off google and putting togethter a powerpoint presentation and then having to present on a pc and the pictures not show up. My mac has windows media player on it so music or videos arent a problem.

You shouldn't have any troubles. CDs, DVDs, USB sticks and windows network shares allow you to transfer easily back and fourth and are all 100% compatible. External hard drives work too, but you have to have them formatted FAT32 instead of NTFS or HFS.

As for opening files? For Microsoft Office files you can either buy MS Office for the Mac, buy Works or download the free Open Office. All of them work just great with Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. There doesn't seem to be an option for MS Access.

You will run into trouble with WMV and WMA files if they have DRM code in them. Microsoft wants lock-in so doesn't play fair with the competition there :lol:

Any other files (mp3s, divx, jpgs, avis, quicktimes, flash files, tifs, pdfs, whatever...) you'll have no troubles with any of those.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts