Lower ball joint fit too small? help PLEASE!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
Putting in lower ball joints tonight. Using Moog parts, double and triple checked with Advanced that they are correct for my 2001 Trac.

The Problem. Put driver side in (pressed out old out, pressed new one in) and began to screw in ther zerc and the ball jont spun in the socket, not good right? It seems to be slightly loose in the control arm hole. Used a caliper to compare the other new one to my old one and there was a difference between 10-15 thousanths. When putting in the passenger side I experiemented a little and found I didnt even need to press it in, it tapped in with a sledge fully and easily.

Why would there be a difference in size? I think the ones removed were factory, because they did not have the grease fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
.006 oversized may still be too small. May have to replace the entire LCA.

Last edited by a moderator:
What part number do you have on the Moog? Compare with Rockauto or O'Reilly and see if you do indeed have the right one. Moog's eCat shows a K8695 and a problem solving K8695T006 oversize for control arm with 1.749 in. to 1.753 in. I.D. Hope that helps!

Sounds like something got bent or loose..... I remember years ago before i knew this stuff, the brake guys at sears would have me tack weld the lowers to the arm on some cars when this happened....

Todd Z

Thanks for the great help. I was able to find the oversized Moogs at advanced and replaced them this morning. The biggers ones seems to press in good, plus they came with lock tight glue, so it should hold.

Alignment done and truck finished. As always, you guys rock.