Laptops....????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob chaw

Reaction score
I'm in need of a New Laptop...

Thinking of getting a HP.

good amount of memory and such..

(i use photoshop, illustrator- and of course check the web....)

who would you guys recommmend buying from (store) ??

what do you think of the warranties that some stores sell?

and/or should i consider another brand?

thanks,:)

rob

Rob,

My Toshiba I have at home is about 3 years old and is still a great machine...

At work we now must have 50 + dell Latitudes all different models and options...

They are great machines and are relatively cheep...

i can not comment on the HP and I know nothing about them.

Todd Z

I work in IT at a medium sized company. We run all Dell machines. (over 350 laptops currently deployed) I am a big Dell fan, we have very few come in with hardware issues, and their tech support is great. (for businesses anyways) There are some deals on the new consumer Studio line to be had. At the company we run Dell Latitudes, very stout machines, at a great price.

Dell also always has great deals if you purchase from them directly on the website. Currently running a twelve days of Christmas thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I hate HP. I had one that I just replaced. Wonderful except the power port came loose from the motherboard. It was a common problem, but HP never did a recall. I fixed it twice, then ditched it for an Acer. I bought an Acer for my wife last year. Cheap, light, dependable. So I got myself one on sale. $399.00 at Best Buy. They just put it on sale again. It even has the number pad on the right side. So far I love it. If you want a bargain, I wouldn't spend over $400. Depends on what you're looking to use it for. Dell also has sales around the $400 mark, just keep looking. Or do what I do, use a deal site like deals2buy.com. They do the shopping for you. Myself, I'd rather buy a bargain one and replace it very few years than to invest a bunch of money into one that will need upgrades in 2-3 years anyway. jmo

Rob,

I bought HP dv9500 a bit over a year ago - its a 17" display "desktop replacement". All I can say is that its a great box. I did have a motherboard issue with it (they had a BIOS problem that caused the proc to overheat) in about a week after I bought it. So I had to send it back for repairs, but no issues with tech support and a quick (1 week) turnaround. Works perfectly since then.

I'm a programmer and over the years worked with a few brands and from my personal experience, IBM and HP are the most solid ones. Not to contradict Sean, but I have to say - I had nothing but trouble with Dells. Issues ranged from bad monitors, bad motherboards (replaced more then twice), leaking batteries...but I didn't use Dell in about 3 years now, so maybe they did get their act together lately.

Edit: Forgot to actually answer your questions.

- I did bought from HP Store but through the FatWallet.com (gets you about 10% back).

- I didn't buy any extra warranties other then what it came with (1 year w/ mail-in repair) and I would not suggest buying any extra warranties, because most of the problems with a computer will be encountered within the first year, so if it didn't break after a year, most likely you will be fine after.

Alex

Ditto on the warranty, Alex.

I never buy an extended warranty through a store or manufacturer. Any good Visa card will have a warranty manager service. It doubles the warranty up to a year for free. And if you want extended warranty, you can get it through Visa cheaper than anywhere. I've used it many times with absolutely no hassles. Like now I have a Vivitar camera that quit working. They got bought out and the warranty is no good anymore. Warranty manager said they'd take care of it!

I have been using a dell inspiron 1525 for 6 months. You can configure it from $500 to $700. Dependind on what you want in it. It has been a great machine. Got mine in june on specail with the last of XP home premium, $500.

15.4 wide screen TFT. Excellent grafics for the price. 2gig hz and 2 gig ram.

Iam well pleased with it. Second dell laptop I have bought. The inspiron 2650 bought for wife is still going strong after 4yrs.

I have 3 HP units: one laptop and two desktops at home.

I have two Dell desktops at work.

My experience with Dell has been okay but they seemed slow right out of the box and have remained that way. No service problems yet.

My HP laptop is running Vista Ultimate with 3 gigs of ram. It's amazingly fast and over the past 2 years I've had zero problems and is a beautiful pearl white in color. The desktops are both about a year old and are also very fast, well equipped and have no issues.

I didn't buy extended warranty on any computer I've ever owned and have no regrets about that at all.

I would say buy the unit with the features you want or need from a top name company at the best price you can find. I feel that they're all decent.

I would recommend dell and moreover the <a href="http://www.dell.com/dfo?s=gen&cs=&~srd=true&sk=scratch%20and%20dent&scat=all"target=top>dell outlet store</a>.

Hps are good, I've had three of them and all of them have worked great. If I had to recommend one though I'd recommend an alienware. Ive had mine for a little over a year now and havnt had a problem yet. I posted the link below. Unforuntatley you can only buy them in store in Florida I think.

http://www.alienware.com/products/area-51-m9750-notebook.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M9750&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT :cool:

I like my dell inspiron e1505 but the battery needs to be replaced... seemed like it died as the warrent ended.... :(

other than that no issues, love it...

plan on getting a dell mini next year

If you're mainly buying it to use with Photoshop and Illustrator, have you considered a Mac?

I bought a very nice, custom built, HP, and had nothing but problems with it. 1st the mother board had to be replaced, then the keyboard, then the bluetooth card. I finally gave up and got a Toshiba. It's a fine laptop, however if I were buying today, I'd get a Dell.

All the HP problems were fixed under warranty, but what a hassel and I just couldn't trust it to keep running. Besides, the warranty ran out.

I also have a HP Desktop, and it's been perfect. So, maybe the quality is limited to the laptops.

HP makes great looking laptops for the money, but I can only say that I had terrible luck with mine. I don't plan to buy another HP laptop in the future.

Doug in NC

The last company I worked for (in home computer repair) we always joked that HP is what kept us in business. Toshiba or Dell are my choices.

We have three Dell laptops. The oldest is four years old and abused by my 16 year old daughter. All are good machines. The newest is my Dell XPS M1330. It is a fast machine and light-weight. It is great for travelin and has about every feature you can think of. The 13-inch screen may be too small for photoshop, but there is also a 15-inch version.