Just a Lil Rant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
I am a dog lover and have a very soft spot for beagles because my little guy is a beagle mix. With that being said this is why I am ranting...

Saturday I went out to a barn fire get-together about a half hour from where I live. It is very rural in that neck of the woods and hunters / hunt clubs can be located everywhere. On my way back I almost hit a little beagle in the middle of a back country road where there are tons of hunt clubs located. This poor guy was collarless, starving, covered in mud and thorns, and his tear duct was infected. I couldn't just leave him so I took him home and gave me a bath and watched him eat the last of my turkey from the holidays. This guy packed it away! (no worries I fed it to him over a period of time so he wouldn't become sick etc..) After talking with a bunch of people (mind you I am no hunter nor familiar with the culture) I discovered that this is a common problem... That some, not all or most, hunt clubs acquire many many beagles to chase out deer etc. and after the season if they are to old or unhealthy etc. they let them loose to fend for themselves. They just send them off to death! They don't take them to the SPCA or try to sell them or retain their loyal servants as pets.. no.. they just kick them out of the kennels and let nature beat the the animal till the dog gives up. I have been told this by a bunch of guys I work with who are hunters. They are avid dog lovers and hunt without them but know that these practices occur... It is simply gross and has me steaming! :angry:

***I don't think any less of hunters, hunting, etc. I understand that this done by a sliver and should not reflect the whole. But I needed the rant.

We need tough laws against people who abuse or abandon animals in this country. Personally I'd be happy to see the death penalty because you know all these people are sickos. They don't deserve to live.

The death penalty for abandoning animals? Are you on PETA's payroll? You DO realize that PETA's mission is to achieve "total animal liberation", and under that, they consider owning pets "slavery".

If you have no allegiance to PETA, than that sentence was irrelevant, but the stupidity of PETA, and the people who support it out of sympathy (without knowing its true purpose) need to be mentioned at every opportunity.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. They thought the dog had served its purpose, and let it go. Not very "humane", but when is humanity ever "humane"? It's an irony that those 2 words share a common root. They cast out the dogs out of laziness, as it is the easiest option, but when you think of it, what other option for disposal do they have? They could have shot the dogs, but they were at least humane enough not to do that. They could have called up some associates of Michael Vic, but they weren't cruel enough to do that. Taking the dogs to the SPCA is basically a death sentence (even PETA kills animals) as they are sub-par strays, so in face of no other option, they let the dogs roam free. While not a great option, it's still better than executing them.

(Besides, if they turned in such a large quantity of dogs, peta would be after them, which would cause them untold legal fallout, which would ultimately affect the dogs as well.)

Out of a bad situation, some hope was found when you picked up the dog, which was the best possible outcome.

I don't believe in having disposable heroes, faithful objects which become refuse when their prime is over, but sadly some people do.

This parallels the discussion of trading off cars on a whim. The car is still good (as the dog presumably is), yet for no real reason other than whim (deer season ends, the car is 5 years old) the car is just cast asunder. Casting aside something which has served you well is never a good option, but had another option been chosen, you would have never found the dog. (i.e. execution) Just as if SST and his like-minded-thinkers had recycled their cars into scrap, I would never have been able to come upon them as cherished used cars. (side note: please recycle your toyotas...no one should be fated to drive them)

I don't agree, as I have hopefully put across, with the method of exile being the best method for disposal. However, as there are benefits from this method--as opposed to some other, more convenient methods--perhaps you can see that it is the "best" option (sadly) out of those available. Would you really want someone who could cast a pet aside to have it as a pet? I wouldn't. If you care enough to pick up a stray, then you are better suited to have the pet, even if you do just drop it off at the local shelter. The "best" option is certainly not the right one, but we can make do with it, and come out on top. I sicken to the thought of such reckless abandonment, but it is their right to do so, and as such you won't find me taking people out who drop their vehicles off at CarMax. Hopefully you won't be blowing the heads off of people who suddenly end up one beagle short at the end of hunting season.

Not a member of PETA. Can't even stand PETA. Just don't like assholes that abuse animals or that are to cheap to have the dog properly taken care of. Like I said, there is something mentally wrong with those people and we don't need them breeding.

Woppy, I feel your pain as I am a beagle lover as well. I volunteer here in Louisiana with a local beagle rescue that takes abandoned beagles and keep them until adoption. There are two major feeders into this beagle rescue, one is the release of "unfit" hunting dogs and the other is runaway pets dropped off at shelters and pounds (could also be from hunting dogs, but no telling). The beagle rescue is on a call list for all shelters and pounds that Euthenize unclaimed or unadopted animals after their keeping limit. Most shelters that euthenize, kill the animals after keeping them for a month or a quarter of a year, it varies. The beagle rescue is called if a beagle is going to be put down and they go pick it up and continue attempting to get it adopted. It is a wonderful organization and it is where I got my beagle from. The beagle rescue goes to PetSmart and Petco every saturday with a handful of beagles and tried to get them adopted. I have a fishing camp in north Louisiana and there are hunters all around as it is a rural place and beagles are the most common "country dog" that I see running around with no tags.

This rescue and my love for beagles has made me a firm beleiver in pet adoption. It makes me angry when people go spend hundreds, sometimes over $1000 on a pet when there are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of pets that get euthanized yearly. If you are thinking about getting a pet, please seriously consider adoption. If you are looking into getting a certain breed, there are breed specific rescues that you can get a full blooded dog, just without papers most of the time. Most rescues allow you to foster the pet before you adopt to make sure that it is a good fit for the pet and the adopting family.

Anyway, I am going to stop ranting. Everyone just please consider adoption.

Seen below is me and the pup. Her name is Goose. When I move into a house in the next year, I will be adopting another one. His name will be Maverick. I will then have Goose and Mav.

[Broken External Image]:

Kevin, putting a domesticated animal down, is better than turning them loose in the wild. They were not trained to fend for themselves. In the wild is a slow cruel death. The owners do not have the right to make the choice of release to the wild. JMHO

I won't be blowing heads off. Even if I want too... I'm focusing on trying to find this guy a home. What a hell of a life this guy must have had till now.

For most of use that have dogs, they are more than pets, they are a member of the family. When we see or hear of a dog or any animal treated like that, it breaks your heart. A animal like that was not breed to be out in the wild to fend for them self and won't make it without help from us humans. Maybe the ruling should be to turn them out in the wild with just the clothes on their back and see how long they could take it without some help. The laws need to a lot stronger. Here in Kentucky that should fall under at the very lest animal cruelty and could be prosecuted. If I were you Woppy, I report it to the police and hope justice could be served.

I guess I may seem a little harsh. Our dog turned 13 yesterday, and we have had her since she was 3 months old. She has some problems walking, but that doesn't stop her from wanting to go with me when I take the grandson to and from school. She is part Chow and Australian Shepard and weighs 72 lbs., so we have to go in the 94 Town car and not the 01 ST. Anyway I found that she has a growth in her lungs and nothing can be done about it except to make her comfortable. She is doing real good now, but I know that could change any time. I guess that is why it burns me up yo hear when someone does something like this. You dud the right thing!

Turning them loose gives them the opportunity to be found and possibly adopted, as is evidenced in these posts. Many will die during the process, but the percentage is still less than the 100% fatality rate of just putting them down.

I'd rather die to the wiles of nature than to the cold hand of an executioner.

Still this is an animal that is used by its owner for 1 purpose, it is sad the owner does not reciprocate , ohh Waite they do, kick them to the curb to die.....

I think dieing slowly to starvation , hit by car or another animal attack is more cruel then putting them down.

Todd Z

Lol! Jordan I like the name duo! Goose and Maverick is classic.

My guy is named Rocco. I've temporarily named this new guy Balboa. :p I love those movies.

The wife and I have a retired racing greyhound and help the adoption group by working "Meet & Greets" and playing foster home occasionally for other racers just off the track. Fortunately over the last 20 years adopting ex-racers has gotten more popular and I'm told that about 90% get placed.

They used to either put them down or simply quit feeding them until they were dead.

Alrighty, after reading all of the arquments on this post i would like to put my 2 cents in. First of all taking a domesticated animal and releasing them into the wild is cruel and inhumane. Yes, dogs are in a nut shell still an animal. However, you can not take a dog that has had food provided for them and shelter provided for them and expect them to survive in the wilderness. A wolfs prey drive and a domesticated dogs prey drive are totally seperate. Here in the K-9 world when our dogs can no longer detect odors or can no longer continue to serve the ONLY time we put them down is a LAST RESORT. (i.e. to aggressive for non handlers to controll,or we can not find someone to adopt them after first trying present/former handlers or outside agencies that could use them for training purposes) 99.9 percent of the time our dogs are adopted out. We dont just release them out into the wild and fend for themselves. They cant fend for themselves any longer once they have been domesticated. Its a challenge enough for us to purposley bring the aggression out let a long have a domesticated animal bring it out within themselves in the wild in a manner of survival for an extended period of time. Just because your dog at home will go after a squirrel doesnt mean they can nor will survive out in the wild on their own. If that was the case than you would see hundreds of well fed dogs out there in the wild.

Another thing, "putting a dog down" is not a cruel thing. The dog feels no pain in the entire process. They simply drift to sleep and into death. Its a sad part of life but thats just what it is..its the LIFE process. At least they go down comfortabley and not starving to death, not scared out of their mind, not cold, wet, hungry, tired, injured, bleeding to death.

This is sick!!!

Find the @sshole who dumped him, and take his @ss out in the woods and chain him to a tree. Come back a day later and see if he liked it. Not the same thing but close enough for the jerkoff to get the point.

Chad

How 'bout them jerk hunters that spray paint a 'phone number on the

side of the dog? They just let them run and maybe after

hunting season someone might call them and say "I got your dog...come get

it."

Now, those are the good ole assholes.......:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin L -

"Taking the dogs to the SPCA is basically a death sentence (even PETA kills animals) as they are sub-par strays, so in face of no other option, they let the dogs roam free. While not a great option, it's still better than executing them."

Would you say putting a terminally ill in hospice care is no choice at all, they should rather be left to die in whatever pain their illness brings? No? then think about what you just wrote...

Wow, what a heated thread on a Sport Trac forum... I guess I'll put my 2 cents in too... It sickens me to no end when people abuse animals.

I love my Beagle & German Shephard as if they were my kids. I also found a Beagle walking down the road skinny and in poor shape. I managed to catch and bring him home. Took him to the vet and got him all better with shots and nuetered. He now lives a happy loving life with my one of my friends.

The vet said that here in Maryland the ammish raise them and let them run the fields chashing out vermin from the crops. They are basically "farrell dogs?" I have seen a few beagles since but they won't come near humans?

no excuse for the "owners" behavior :angry:

as johhny o did we adopted a retired racing greyhound. we have learned that the owners of our great grey treated him well while he was in his racing career (first place in his first race!). at least within the past few years, rescue groups have worked well with the tracks as far as placing them for adoption and making sure they are cared for. this should happen more often!

there are other options insted of pet "disposal" buy an inconsiderate person (i am being nice)

[Broken External Image]:

Woppy, just curious, if you were to keep that Beagle you found, how would you get rid of its "bad habits" as a hunting dog so that it is safe in the house with children and what not?

Latest posts