Info On 6 Speed AutoTran Issues.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta luv it when members Texas Two Step around a question on here. :lol:

Well.......I'm now getting 26mpg on the freeway.....wanna know how? Go see post 1243741 :p

either way, ford, GET IT RIGHT :angry:

it is so damm frustrating.

if i owned my trac i would be so pissed that they can't fix it.

I remember that post - I thought Dingo was kidding :huh: "Drive it like you stole it".

At these gas prices, that's an expensive fix. :(

Dingo wrote in his post (in part):

"... Basically, if it learns that you drive like an old lady, it shifts like one. Same if you drive like me. It shifts hard and fast. Where you have the problem is when it learns you drive like an old lady. It continuously wants to keep you in the highest gear possible for fuel economy, 'cause, well, it has learned you don't like to go zooooooom. It doesn't keep itself ready for zooooooom. If you drive it like you stole it, it stays in more of a ready state.

Bottom line: If it thinks you're a race car driver, you can drive like an old lady whenever you want. If you drive it nice, you can rarely get it to shift like a race car. If you do about half and half, it gets confused in it's tiny little brain and keeps you in a high gear for granny driving, but upon stopping or slowing, it gets antsy and thinks you're about to race..."

My concern is that this method will force the tranny to shift at higher RPM - thus decreasing fuel economy. If I'm wrong, explain to me. The way I drive now, I get 16 -17 mph city and 24 hwy. That's no bad at all for a V8 - BUT the tranny thing is aggravating. I want to make sure that if I "drive it like I stole it", it doesn't create a higher RPM at shifts and gives me worse mileage.

If it works, and I start driving like an old lady again, will the problem come back?

Understand that I'm not doubting that Dingo's method works, just trying to make sure I get the better mileage too.

In any case, I agree with gary s - Ford needs to fix this problem!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Dingo's method and the following weekend I got pulled over for doin 65 in a 35. The officer asked me why I was driving so fast....so, I proceeded to explain about my transmission problem and a friend told me to disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together and wait 30 min. and then go drive the truck as though I stole it.

The officer asked for my license and registration and went back to his car to run a make on my plates. The officer came back and said; "Ok, your free to go, it's just that I've pulled over four other trucks like yours today and they all gave me the same excuse". He then thanked me and said his son just bought a new STA with the same problem. ;)

Well......since the fix, I've traded my mpg's for mpm's.....driving like a maniac for fear of what will happen if I start driving like an old man. :lol:

Dingo.. My ST is an 01, so it does not affect me, but since your fix works, now we need to get Ford to accept the fix. THEN, we as a group of owners can "Volunteer" to "Perform" the fix at local Ford dealerships.. (Wouldn't it be a lot of fun to drive the pi$$ out of someone else's ST?) Well, it was just a thought...

Maybe Dingo can do a project where we can just have a button on the dash to reset the friggin computer so we don't have to hastle with taking the battery terminals off all the time. :cool: