Info On 6 Speed AutoTran Issues.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
"The transmission issue is being looked at by Ford Engineering. It is an adaptive strategy problem as you have heard. There is currently no fix for it and Ford has told us not to attempt any repairs. Your Explorer does not have this transmission though. It is a 5 speed 5R55S."- My Service Manager

This was sent to me by my Service Manager today. I was pretty concerned when he told me my vehicle was a 5 speed and not a 6speed....because I know different!

I had my '07 (with 9,000 miles) in last Friday to take care of the transmission problem. This may sound like a dumb question...but, where I can look to see the model/serial number for my transmission???

Thanks.

"Sorry, didn't know you had a new vehicle...was looking in history and saw an 03. As far as unhooking the battery, no, it will not help... the TCM KAM must be erased and then the transmission adaptive strategy has to be performed. That will reset it from new and usually lasts about 1000 miles. The problem is because the mechatronix looks at the electronic inputs while you are driving and changes the shift strategy to try to match your driving but in reality it also picks up stray signals at odd times that don't belong to the transmission creating strange shift patterns or harsh downshifts and even delayed engagement when first starting out. It's difficult to explain but it's like the TCM (Transmission Control Module) has a mind of its own...or artificial intelligence as it were. It seems like it's too smart for it's own good. Personally I think the mechatronix is trying to take over the world!!! So be careful when and where you drive...it may take you places you've never seen or heard of!!!" - My Service Manager

Above is his most recent reply!

I forgot that I bought the 03 ST here and they actually thought I had both the 05 F150 and the 03 ST on the road:p In fact I traded the ST of the F150 and then the F150 for the STA! Love the STs!

psycareyo -

So thats what's happening. I have been struggling with my tranny since new - having all the symptoms you describe. Have taken it back twice for the TSB and it only lasts a short while.

So - am I hearing that Ford is also stumped and there is no real permanent fix?

Jimmy,

You would be correct. Ford is "stumped."

PLACE YOUR BET:

who will develop a fix for this issue first?

1) The Dingo.

or

2) Ford Motor Company.

I vote for option 1!

I want free stuff now!

lmfao! I've already done it. Jeff and Griff can vouch. They've both ridden with me enough to verify that mine operates as it should. :)

i gave up on mine after 2 attempts to repair at the un-friendly ford service dep't.

it's great when i have someone in the car that is not aware of the problem, and they think we just got tapped in the ass. :lol:

I'd say mine is pretty friendly. I've had issues with them in the past when we hired this new assistant service manager. The guy is pretty useless. Causes our department tons of issues because of his inability to schedule anything. I don't know how this guy puts his shoes on in the morning. My service department hates me I think! I'm always complaining when they get their friggin dirty fingerprints on my headliner or steering wheel. It's just not professional. So far they've yet to touch the inside of my STA. We do have one of the best service managers in the city though. Always able to put customers at ease and get the job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it that you are talking about the Hard shift once coming to a stop....Mine just started doing this slightly today after 6k miles.

Yeah, mine does the hard shifting at low speeds but it also doesn't always kick in gear when my foot is on the gas. It just revs up like I let the clutch out and I have to manually shift the gear select to 1,2 or 3 just to get the damn thing to move. It's been better the last few weeks.

psycareyo,

You just described my tranny. I barely touch the pedal and it won't shift to 2nd till about 2500rpm. then it slams into gear.

Ford is just pissin me off with this.

Dingo... what's a guy gotta do to get this thing fixed?

Dingo - can I have a hint on some key words? Maybe a date of the post? You have posted over 3100 times. :eek:

Throw me a carrot man ;)

Mine started this crap at 10,000 miles almost on the button. The last 600 miles, it is worse every time I drive it. I really like this truck but if this cant be fixed and fixed for sure, as soon as the Pontiac version of the ElCamino hits the showrooms, I will trade. I love my Fords but for any automaker to produce a transmission for 3 model years that has the same problem over and over is just stupid.