I'm going to fix my 2-3 flare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
My Trac recently rolled over 60K miles on the odometer, and for the third time in its life is experiencing the notorious 2-3 shift flare. Previously, the issue occurred at 8K and then at 28K, both covered under warranty. In all occassions I recognized the symptom before the problem became severe enough to trigger the O/D light.

This time, when I noticed the flare, I promptly reset the Trac's computer by using the popular method of disconnecting the battery and letting the Trac sit a while. Some say drive the Trac hard afterwards, while others say drive it mildly. I did both and the flare persisted.

After exhaustive research, I discovered that there is a relatively simple fix. Ford has a TSB which involves, I believe, upgrading the valve body gasket/separator plate, and installing a new boost valve. I've ordered these parts from our site sponsor Ford Parts Network (FPN). Of course, the EPC solenoid is suspect so I ordered this as well along with a new bracket. I also ordered a new trans filter/screen and pan gasket, and 7qts. of MerconV. FPN delivered all this to my door for less than $280. This equates to huuge savings compared to what many have been quoted: $2000 for a rebuild.

Why am I typing all this you ask? Because I plan on doing this "rebuild" on my own! While I'm at it, I plan on taking good pictures so I can put together a project worthy enough to be submitted and shared here on our site!

:banana:

On a side note, for the past few weeks, I've been careful not to accelerate off the line above 2000rpms. This avoids the flare which occurs at 2300rpms. Today, I got a little brave and decided to romp on the gas (I figured I'm doing the project next week anyway). Wouldn't you know it, the trans would not flare! Alas, I don't know how long this good fortune will last, and since I already have the parts, I'm looking forward to installing them anyway, next week. I hope to have a "project" submitted a few days afterwards!

Sounds good,

Also don't forget to replace the shift solenoids also..... They can have all the pressure they want from the EPC if they are sticky or not working properly, They will cause a flair too..

Todd Z

Todd is correct. When the valve body valves get sticky, they put additional stress on the solenoid valves and they begin to weaken so much that after the valve body is replaced the solenoids can still cause sluggish shifting.

The cost of the Solenoids will bring your total expense closer to $400, but it's better to replace the solenoids now than to go back and do it later.

...Rich

Trac-511 Can you describe how the flare presents itself, or "feels"? I think many of us might have an assumption, but I'd like to hear it from the source. Thanks.

You may have already found these links in the explorer forum, but in case you haven't...

The linked one is a rebuild thread. The non-linked one is a companion thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154655

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hmmm..... I'd be tickled pink to see a write up on this.

I got the flare, paid for it to be fixed, got the flare, repaired it with warranty 4 times? etc... still got the flare. oh is well. maybe your fix might be something i tackle myself... if it works out.

Good Luck!

Ed it does......

Thats why the EPC and solenoids are the only fix to a flair on 03 and up.... Unless the tranny shop or in some cases rebuilt units get the old parts or as I have seen TOOO many times, they reuse the EPC and solenoids..

Todd Z

okay...just wanting to throw in my support and enthusiasm for this thread. i just responded to your other post on this "flair" topic.

i am experiencing similar issues so i am interested in staying dialed into your effort and result.

i do want to ask what you meant by the statement "became severe enough to trigger the O/D light"...

i have had my "O/D off" message flash on the message center for no apparent reason. after turning off the engine and restarting it is gone. is this an error message related to the "flair"? is there a more detailed description/explaination behind it"

PmcD, the flare I have occurs during acceleration, ~2300rpms, 2-3 gear. At this point, the engine will rev briefly going into 3d gear, then operate normally from there. It's been intermittent, but has, for the past couple of days at least, disappeared after avoiding accelerating above 2000rpms. Again, my symptom was discrete with no violent surge. I could just hear the rev and feel that very brief neutral sensation.

Todd, Richard, interesting point you make about the other solenoids. I will consider replacing them depending on the result I get. At least they're not as expensive as the EPC and I don't think I will have to drop the VB.

Doug, thanks again for the links. I remember them from the other thread. But I have visited that site plenty already. I've read that diary front to back to be honest. A shout out will definitely go out to them when I do my write up.

Fast Eddie, yes I was aware that later models have the upgraded stuff already (at least from what I've read around here), and the dealership installed a rebuilt transmission too. You'd think I wouldn't have to entertain doing this project, but here I am. I'm looking forward to seeing what shape the VB separator plate gasket is in. I will also let out a loud "well now" if I don't see upgraded parts already in there.

Shawn, from what I've read on here and elsewhere, a problem transmission will trigger the O/D. Luckily mine hasn't lit up and I've been able to drive around without worsening results (it's actually disappeared). But if yours is lit up, you definitely don't want to ignore or chance it.

This project is underway.

As I posted on another thread, I've dropped the pan and decided to put a drain plug on it. I also discovered it was missing the magnet. I ordered one but I discovered it won't get here 'til the end of the week. So, I decided to slap a piece of regular magnetic strip on there (from a ~$4 roll..removal of adhesive on one side was required). Now that I think I have everything I need, I want to reinstall everything and have the Trac running by sundown today.

On another note, I see that my transmission already has the rebuilt/TSB relief valve on it.

P.S. Taking good pictures for the project sure is taking up lots of my time! It's all good though. I do feel blessed that I have the necessary funds, tools, location, and did I mention funds, to do this project.

Well, I didn't get to finish the job today. All I do have to do is reinstall the VB, filter, and pan to torque specs, then refill fluid. I could've finished today but I took a nap and my sweet time. I'll start out early tomorrow and get it done already.

As I mentioned before, it turns out my trans has all the rebuild/TSB upgrades already (so, kudos to the selling dealership who installed this under warranty). Namely the revised VB separator plate with bonded gaskets and the relief valve replacement. Obsolete parts that were supposed to have been removed were already gone.

Here's a pic of the new relief valves (old one currently installed):

[Broken External Image]:

The original valve did not have any holes, it was just flat. Again, mine already has the revised one installed. I put my new one in anyway.

Separator plate gasket looked to be in very good shape both sides (no rips/blow outs) and no metal pieces except for the gray slushy stuff. I did replace the EPC, so hopefully this does the trick. I will also replace the trans cooler in-line filter when it arrives then do a flush soon after.

Pic:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished this thing this afternoon and I just got back from a little test drive. Everything works normally! I had to pick up an extra bottle from the local dealership because 7qts of MerconV was a little short. Other than that, the project went problem free.

I still need to keep my eye on it for the next several tanks to see if it holds up. I also need to keep an eye out for leaks.

I did this project over the spread of three days but I could've done it in just one if I concentrated on it. Still, I do not look forward to being under this Trac this long any time soon.

Project write-up coming up soon!

Trac_511....congratulations on getting the job done. I hope that results have proven to be successful and the flare it gone and there is no leaking or negative side affects.

Look forward to the project write-up and I hope that it has some more pictures. My flare is getting worse and I need to get it corrected soon.

Today I finally got around to a terribly creaky rear sway bar and a leaking rear differential cover.

Shawn, I've driven about 700 miles after I did this project and so far, so good. Shifting is more responsive (overdrive?) especially during passing acceleration.

I do have lots of pics and I do hope to get the project written up within the next two weeks.

Hello,

Just wondering if you have the TSB number for this fix. Did this correct the problem for the long term?

My 2003 has the same symptoms again and I would like to take your example to my mechanic and have them complete the installation. Not quite as mechanically inclined as you!

Thanks,

Jay

Latest posts