How's YOUR Employer Treat YOU?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I said,

I am an expense that will be dropped as soon as someone can figure out how.

I should have added, since it would actually answer the post question, that I'm treated well by my employer. The pay and bene's are great. 21 vacation days (so far) and I too get to sit here and read all the baloney on myst .com. :lol:

The reason for my first comment was that is the case for anyone who works for a large corporation. If fat daddy big bucks can get more with less, of course he will. I would too. :D

I work at Starbucks as a coffee slinger/supervisor. Not a real job and also non-union. Pay is alright (pays my bills kinda) 401(K) is great, full dental, vision and medical if you work over 240 hrs in 3 months (I work at least 45 hrs/wk) and in the 6 yrs I've worked there they have given me about $8,000 in stock for free (YAY!) and the more hrs I work they keep giving me stock for free up until about 10 yrs than you have to sell or lose it but after you sell it starts over again and I can also buy it at discount.

I've also met the best people at Starbucks and also became great friends with most of them outside of work also. Of course like all retail you get the occasional rude person but they are few and far between.

ions that is kewl! We have two local Starbucks that we go to a lot...4 days a week is normal. We know most of the people that work there by name and they know us by our first names.

When I worked in software the sales guys/gals and I would frequent the Starbucks 10x a week..LOL

One in the morning and once in the afternoon. It was the conference room away from the office.

Any Starbucks I've been too the employees are all friendly.

tom, since you mention now that your co-workers all make the same amount of money i have a question. i am sure you are a very hard worker, but since you are all equal, is it fair that your fellow co-worker is a type of person that just gets by and does the bare minimum?

he/she is "protected" since they are in a union, is that fair to you ? don't you think you should be paid more ? or maybe your talent well exceeds this person, i think you should be paid more. my wife is frustrated with this example as she is a union employee. she is very dedicated and a hard worker , but watches others just get by. would you not agree that this is frustrating?

I spent 20 years in the military and retired.

I went to work in the IT department for a large corporation. The corp. wanted to sell off our division and did about 3.5 years later and I was out of work.

On day later I was back to work in the IT department of a large local hospital. They were in some kind of managment crisis and I knew I wanted out within two weeks.

A year later I applied for a an IT management position at another local hospital and got the job. I stayed there over 9 years and was offered a position as a Hospital Information Systems Consultant for a small, but growing consulting firm. About the time I joined the firm, the owners sold the company and within a year the new owners decided they did not want to support the Hospital software that I and about 12 others were hired to support. In stead of doing custom interfaces they only wanted to support standard "Vanilla" istallations. 8 consultants were let go and most of the other quit.

I did some free-lance consulting and started working for a large insurance company going through the final agony of finding and fixing all their Y2K bugs. When they found out about all the PC experience they put me in charge of the PC/Web developers.

Later I transfers from a consultant to an employee. Pay and benefits were great but managment had an old world IBM Mainframe mentality. Several managers were found to be crooks and wore getting kickbacks from some hardware vendors. When this was discovered several got fired,, several got releived an demoted, and there was a general management shake up. That created their own managment crisis and things began to go down hill fast. After nearly 6y years there, i decided to part company with them after I had a blow out with one of the idiots they called a Sr. Manager.

I went back to independent consulting for a while but because of 9/11 travel was inconvenient and costly. I had to lower prices to get work and I was spending to mych time on the road and not getting paid.

In October of 2006, I started working for a large corporation in the Regional IT office as the IT Assistant Manager. Wow, I am amazed at how great this company is. We are on of the top companies out of 20 companies in this organization. I get anything I want or need. Our company uses Sprint/Nextel phones for the walkie-talkies but originally was given an Atel phone. On Mondy I asked my VP if I could get a Nextel Blackberry like the other managers use so I can keep in touch. He said sure. I asked on Monday and got my new Blackberry on Wednesday.

I've been to two management conferences in two months at our Corporate HQ in Bismarck, ND and have done a number execs bof applications for some of our Corporate exec's because they don't have anyone who can, or has time to deal with their databases. They have a lot of data but only a few of us know how to get meaniful information out of the system

Overall it's a great company that is growing and expanding. We have 4 acquisitions that will be done by the end of August which will double the size of our region and my VP says he will be disappointed if those 4 new acquisitions are the only ones we do this year. He wants to do at least 2 more. We have already had to turn several companies away who want us to look at buying them out, but we are too busy closing the deal on these 4 companies that we told them we can't look at them for severeal months.

I think we have the right people with the right mix of skills and everyone seems to be at the top of their game. I know it won't last for ever. Eventually, people will leave or get promototed ,etc and the mix will change and perhaps the new people won't fit in as well, but until then I'm loving it!

...Rich

Gary,

SOOO true, SOOO true,,,

The union guys walk around the job site thinking they are protected, talk about doing as little as possible, and making all the apprentices and new laborers, or young kids do all the work while they stand there and bark out orders...

We had 7 OE on the job, 1 was asked to jump 2 times and had the balls to call the "strong arm man" ohhh I meant delegate, OOHH Business agent, what ever you want to call them, to threaten the contractor...

GIVE ME a break... 7 men working, I think they should be happy since the Hall had no more men any way....

Don't even get me started on the Carpenters...

Todd Z

tom, since you mention now that your co-workers all make the same amount of money i have a question. i am sure you are a very hard worker, but since you are all equal, is it fair that your fellow co-worker is a type of person that just gets by and does the bare minimum?

he/she is "protected" since they are in a union, is that fair to you ? don't you think you should be paid more ? or maybe your talent well exceeds this person, i think you should be paid more. my wife is frustrated with this example as she is a union employee. she is very dedicated and a hard worker , but watches others just get by. would you not agree that this is frustrating?

I am not sure how to read your post. You lack the ability to use CAPITAL LETTERS, so I am not sure where the next sentence starts. I will try to do my best....

I have no idea. All of us are hard workers and work to the best of our ability. We compliment each other with out strenghts and weaknesses and since there is no animosity between the workers, we help each other out. For example, a am currently working with a man that has had hip replacement surgery and also, does not have full use of his arms. He is a hard worker and does the best he can. He isn't "punished" for getting old. In that case, I will lift the heavier items and stuff over my head and let him do things he can do. We take care of each other.

he/she is "protected" since they are in a union, is that fair to you ?

"Protected"? You have been watching too much TV and the anti-union agenda. We are not "protected". The union is there to make sure the company follows the rules. It is not about someone can do anything they want and nobody can fire them.

don't you think you should be paid more ? or maybe your talent well exceeds this person, i think you should be paid more.

My talent does exceed everyone in my department. I have forgotten more than most of those guys know. Even though my talent does exceed theirs, we still perform the same job, therefore, we deserve the same pay.

my wife is frustrated with this example as she is a union employee. she is very dedicated and a hard worker , but watches others just get by.

She doesn't have to work there. She could get a job at another company that is not organized and be as happy as you are.

would you not agree that this is frustrating?

I don't have that problem.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen said
I have no idea. All of us are hard workers and work to the best of our ability. We compliment each other with out strenghts and weaknesses and since there is no animosity between the workers, we help each other out. For example, a am currently working with a man that has had hip replacement surgery and also, does not have full use of his arms. He is a hard worker and does the best he can. He isn't "punished" for getting old. In that case, I will lift the heavier items and stuff over my head and let him do things he can do. We take care of each other

Come on Caymen, is this Utopia? "everyone does thier best', "everyone is a hard worker"???

Give me a break... As with anything there are slackers and non-slackers..... No - everyone does not deserve the same raises and praises... that is what Union guys want us to believe but you know damn well it's BS....

joseymack

My old career (teacher), I was treated poorly. Had to pull teeth to get a day off, even then it was 4 times the work and it would get used against you by some parents and the admin would side with parents. There is virtually no support, and kids now-a-days have more rights than the teacher.....and they know it. And the union was worthless unless you got sued....

My new career (writing and editing text books), I LOVE it. As long as we get our work done on time, we a trusted completely. We don't get questioned about sick/vacation days unless it is becoming an obvious issue of missing too much work in too little time. Pay is strictly performance based. No matter how much a higher-up likes you, it's the work you produce and the projects you choose to oversee that gets you moving up in the company. I love it.

Come on Caymen, is this Utopia? "everyone does thier best', "everyone is a hard worker"???

In my department, yes. In others, I honestly do not knoiw since I do my job and I let them do theirs.

Give me a break... As with anything there are slackers and non-slackers..... No - everyone does not deserve the same raises and praises... that is what Union guys want us to believe but you know damn well it's BS

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

Tom

Im turning 21 in two days Ive worked at 2 large corporations Flowserve and Exelon for 6 months each. I wasnt going to comment on this thread because I dont really have the work experience to really beable to weigh in about how my employer treats me. After reading this though, I couldn't not comment.

Quote:

Give me a break... As with anything there are slackers and non-slackers..... No - everyone does not deserve the same raises and praises... that is what Union guys want us to believe but you know damn well it's BS

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

Just working at these places for as long as I did I could see that this is the general union mentality. They are all great workers, but dont ask them to do anyhting that's over and above whats in their contract. Something else that is baffling is the amount of workers it takes to do a job. Most of what im going to say applys to work crews doing repair or maintenance work, since I havent really dealt with union workers in other capacities. The amount of laborers that are there for the job and the amount that are actually working at any one time is astounding. Many times while preforming Heat Exchanger inspections here at Exelon there is a crew of 5 to 6 guys to do the disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly of the HX. At any one time only 1 to 2 guys can possible be working on one of these things, so they others get to hangout, now I'm not saying they arent all doing the same amount of work total, but that amount of work seems to be to little to warrant 6 guys. 4 guys I'm sure could to the work in the exact same amount of time with the exact same quality of work, with nearly the same amount of fatigue. Unions seem to remove the competitiveness in the work place and the drive to really do better. If everyone is getting the same thing why would you try to standout if there is no incentive. To each his own I guess but I wont be part of one anytime in the near future. And hopefully I got all of my CAPITAL LETTERS right so that you can read this. I guess I'm not sure what purpose periods serve then.

for those of you against Unions:

ever wonder where the 40 hour work week originated?= UNIONS

ever wonder why you get paid time and a half for overtime?=UNIONS

ever wonder why you make as much as you do...=UNIONS raised the standard of living in this country...it kills me when anti-union people..especially in the south talk anti-union but gladly accept union wages.

ever wonder about your safety on the job?=UNIONS

EEO problem?=UNIONS

Unfair labor practices?=UNIONS

ya'all bess think twice before you start bashing UNIONS...either you are too young or too ignorant to remember what this country was like...and is becoming again....just wait until immigration really takes hold...and guess what...they will UNIONIZE after they have had enough CRAP

They are all great workers, but dont ask them to do anyhting that's over and above whats in their contract.

Thats right. You wouldn't ask the floor sweeper to do plumbing would you?

Something else that is baffling is the amount of workers it takes to do a job.

In many cases, much of that has to do with safety and the safety department. In my experience, union shops are more geared towards safety. I have worked in, not for, thousands of plants, and on average, the union shops were more safety minded than the non-union shops.

Unions seem to remove the competitiveness in the work place and the drive to really do better.

Essentially, they make the brown nosers extinct.

To each his own I guess but I wont be part of one anytime in the near future.

Give it time. With the bosses buddy get a raise because he is the bosses buddy and you are trying to get by, your attitude will change.

Mine did!

Tom