How's YOUR Employer Treat YOU?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentheREALone Z

Reaction score
On this forum, I constantly read about union versus management, one person "debating" another. I very often read claims that employers treat employees like c--p (not good). Perhaps you could post, WITHOUT EMOTION, just what you mean, with examples.

I have worked the following jobs throughout my life (names of small companies I have worked for not included...larger companies I have included names):

Highway sign fabrication and installation company: Due to the nature of the company and its business some "job contracts" required some union employees, others did not. I joined the local laborers union so I could work more. Most contracts lasted two weeks to several months. I was treated very well at this job, but then again, my father was a manager at the company and worked mostly in the summers to put myself through college.

Medical equipment manafacturer: This company made IVs, feeding tubes, medical containers, etc. I worked a factory line. It was non-union. I was treated okay. This wasn't rocket-science work, and again I used this job to help pay for college. Saw a bunch of "lifer" types working there, that frankly made me feel sad and sorry for them...but they seemed happy.

IBM: Non-union. First real, full-time job in my chosen profession (computers). Was treated EXCELLENT. This company had the greatest respect for the individual than ANY I have ever worked for. Simply top-notch. Management and executives were stellar too. Could have retired from there easily if I hadn't chased the "IT Goldrush" of the late 90s.

Prudential Securities: Again, non-union and professional. Was treated very well. Excellent corporation that was going through some tough times while I was there.

IT startup: I worked for 7 years for a startup during the IT goldrush. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Some years I got double-digit increases and bonuses, and I also saw my salary reduced by over 50% the last two years I was there. Did they treat me bad? Not really. They treated me and others the way they had to in order to survive. I left before they went under in 2002.

TJRTech, Inc: This was a company I started in 2002 and still run on the side. As owner and operator I have to say, this company treated me the best. Ha! For 2002 and 2003 it was my soul source of income.

Current Employer - Video on Demand company: My current employer makes video on demand equipment and software used by large cable operators like Time Warner, Cox, Comcast, etc. If you have ever used VOD then there is a 60% chance the equipment back at your cable company that stores and streams the video came from our company. I am a design engineer for them. They treat us okay. Also non-union.

Have I ever been treated like CRAP by a "company?"...no. I have been treated like crap by individuals (including management) within a company, on an occassion or two, but nothing chronic.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
My company has its BS rules and vacation, time use stuff, But we get all holidays off, good pay and when I am slow I can surf the net and hang out on this forum all day !!!!

They also promote nepotism and they don't care if you work a second job, or side jobs.

As a matter of fact they purchase stuff from their employees to give out as gifts to clients.

Our medical is ok, and the 401K is Superior to most....

Todd Z

I am an expense that will be dropped as soon as someone can figure out how.

union versus management... I work for Montgomery County Department of Liquor Control in Maryland. Been there 3 years. The whole union vs management thing is kinda weird and wild. Like we have these SLT dues that come out of your check. Well from what I've been told, whether your in the union or not. You still pay the dues. Doesn't make much sense to me, but thats the way it is. And the thing I hate most about paying the dues, it goes up $1.00 every year. Its currently at $19.00 right now. Now as for holidays and stuff. We are suppose to be off for those days, but being in the industry of beer, wine, liquor and kegs. With such a high demand for it. We mainly get screwed about any holiday and have to work. Now only good part is, we get paid 8 hrs for the holiday and all hours we work that day is paid time and a half. So I mean, work for 8, get paid for 20. Not to bad, but it sucks sometimes. Another thing for high demand, we aren't allowed to take off the week before, the week of or the week after a holiday. Also b/c so much has to go out, only 3 drivers and 3 helpers are allowed to take off each day. And with over 30 drivers and 40 helpers, its hard to get time off. SUCKS!~ Guess the only really good side is a 3.5% raise every year your there, plus cost of living % thats anywhere between 0.0 - 7.0%. The benefits are superior. And being the U.S. likes to drink, I don't think we will ever be out of business.

I have always had great managers and fairly enjoyable jobs. With each one, there has always been the typical BS rules and unique ways of operating which gave fodder for lunchtime and happy hour bitch sessions with co-workers. It wouldn't be a real job if there wasn't anything to bitch about.

The only job situation that was crappy was when a previous company was so worried about litigation, it was about impossible to get fired. The incompetents knew it and virtually got away with murder and there was nothing you could do about it.

IBM: Non-union. First real, full-time job in my chosen profession (computers). Was treated EXCELLENT. This company had the greatest respect for the individual than ANY I have ever worked for. Simply top-notch. Management and executives were stellar too. Could have retired from there easily if I hadn't chased the "IT Goldrush" of the late 90s.

If your purchased by IBM not so great though. I know first hand. Less benefits, less salary, lower bonuses, lower commisions, higher quotas, more meetings where nothing gets accomplished, etc.

First 25 yrs, great company($4 B), great benefits, good pay, great peers, great management.

Global competition.

Resigned.

Now, small private company, poor benefits, good pay, no peers, fair mgmt., very long hours.

Times change. You make the best of it.

If you feel you're not being treated as you should be, leave. No one has you handcuffed.

No one treats me like cr-p unless I want to be treated like cr-p.

Ken - very good point. I took all my stock options/stock and bonuses and started my own business.

I had enough with Corporate America. My salary has increased, I'm less stressed and I can take day off anytime I want.

For myself I picked the perfect industry. I love cars and I love graphics.

Many of my repeat customers are race car drivers and I see them almost every weekend during the race season. They also know I'm closed on Fridays...LOL because we are at the track. They know where to find me if they need race numbers or class designation decals. I carry extras with me.

My favorite saying is "The profession doesn't choose you, you choose the profession" Don't like what you do get out and do something you do like. I know too many people that are miserable individuals working for the same company year in and out.

I will only count two jobs because the first ones were not really "real" jobs.

The first job was with an inspection company. We did have good benefits, AWESOME 401(K), and a great pension plan. The 401(k) plan was dollar for dollar up to 6%. The president of the company tried to treat us fairly, but could only do so as far as the mamangers would let him. In other words, if the manager said guy number 1 was a good worker (buddy to the boss) to give him a larger raise while guy number 2 was not as good of a worker (wasn;t friends with the boss) the president essentially did as recomended.

I missed my best friends funeral, several weddings, countless concerts, and just being away from home. We would work 26 hours straight, if needed. The best of all was if you got 40 hours in early in the week, they would call you to tell you not to come in to avoind paying OT when they were charging the customer OT for us to be there for hours on end.

I train a guy to do his job and while he is being trained, he is making more money than I am. I never complained on what I make. I make what I make doing the job I do, BUT if everyone else is making $3.00/hr more than I am doing the same job, I feel it is unfair.

I have missed countless vacations, even though it was planned and scheduled months in advance, while other guys were asking for the day off the day before...and they got the time off.

I can not say it was all hell. I did get to travel the USA, seen places I would never see on my own (Such as the crypt of John Paul Jons in the USNA in Annapolis, MD. Shipyards in Maine, Mississippi, Florida, Virginia, S. Carolina...and others. I got to spend three months in Germany and while there, I was able to visit my grandmother before she died.

Ultimatly, favortism drove me away. Why should I work for less money than another guy because I do not take the boss hunting or fishing. I dontt stop by with a 6 pack to split it at the boss's house. To top it off, I was even certified in more diciplines than the other guy was.

That was a non-union job.

My current employer treats us right how the contract says. I can not get fired because I was late to work, but if I do it too many times, according to the contract, I will lose my job and there is nothing I can do about it.

Benefits are great, 401(k) leaves alot to be desired, and we have a fair pension plan. I like my work hours, I know what I make and all those in my department make the same money and we are all qualified the same. I can refuse OT, weekend work, they can not make me work over 12 hours, and I am not required to work anytime I don't want to that is outside of my regular shift.

I like knowing what I make and what the others guys make. Not having to deal with the brown noser trying to get a weekend off is worth the union dues alone. That is what being union is all about. It is not about throwing a "wildcat strike" is some manager looks at me wrong. It is not about demanding too much money.

It is about equal pay for equal work. Color, race, sex, religon, etc. has nothing to do with your pay.

It is sad that some businesses still give less money to blacks, hispanics, women, etc. It is truly sad that people are still punished for being a person of color or female.

Nobody under our contract has to worry about that...unless they get into managment which is non-union.

Tom

Ken said:
If you feel you're not being treated as you should be, leave. No one has you handcuffed. No one treats me like cr-p unless I want to be treated like cr-p.

Exactly! There is not slavery anymore. No real victims!

For everyone that feels they are getting a raw deal and there is favoritism going on please remember that happens almost everywhere. If you feel you are being treated like a doormat, again and again, then you probably are allowing that to happen.

If you really feel that you are one of the "go to" guys and are being taken advantage of because of it, then you have no one to blame but yourself. Truly indispensible employees that aren't allowed to take time off because they are so vital should recognize that they have the juice they need and can define their own terms...unless of course they simply have that "take care of me", "I'm a victim" mentality.

If your good, if your the one that works the overtime, if your the one that your employer won't let take vacation because the "need you", then you have your employer over the barrell...and when someone's bent over a barrell what do YOU do?

TJR

TJR,

I did leave. I was only waiting my time. Those brown nosers left too. The found out after the jackass left, they actually had to work.

I did take a pay cut when I left that company.

Tom

Caymen,

So it was a conscious decision to stay, maximize the lucrative 401K policy, enjoy the higher salary, all while looking for another job. In return for that you had to work harder and with more dedication than others who you thought got treated better.

Like it or not, that's called "employment at will", and in such an arrangement the employee agrees with the terms of the job and the compensation implicitly by simply continuing to come to work each day. In other words, by coming to work each day you agreed to the terms. One day the terms no longer suited you.

TJR

almost 14 years at my current position. i am very happy and they treat me very well.

great pay, 6 weeks vacation, 401k, and a free sport trac with everything included.

as they know i have a house in florida, and i am ready to roll soon, they are making it very difficult for me to leave ! :D

Family run company. Sooo.... I am worked like a dog and am expected to expect nothing! lol. Family Company = Slave Labor

What is your family business? I am in Williamsburg all the time visiting my parents and sister maybe I can use your services.

I've worked for my company for 17 years in the financial service/financial planning industry.

In the 17 years they have supported my continuing education and the pursuit of multiple designations in the industry.

They offer a 401k with matching and a Defined Benefit Pension plan that is 100% fully funded by the company. Decent benefits and good vacation plan. More sick leave than I ever hope I have to use.

They offer me the opportunity to develop and move up in the company.

They offer all of the typical office Dilbert style BS.

Our Gen Y employees are not worth a damn, when are the Z's coming....

We don't have a union. Our company conducts salary surveys every 2 years and adjusts the salary structure based on industry competition.

Most importantly, no one is holding a gun to my head. If and when I decide to move on I can freely walk out the door.