how many quarts?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's only about 6 quarts, but you are only changing about half the fluid.

A tranny flush will require between 10-14 quarts, but that will change about 98% of the fluid, but you do not have to drop the pan...and it is possible to do a flush at home without any special machines, but it does require a drain plug to be installed in the transmission pan.

...Rich

I usually buy 6 as rich said and use about 5......

Todd Z

A flush is good. If you dont want that. I have always droped the pan and installed a drain plug on all my auto trannys. I will do 2 to 3 changes within 200 miles of each other.

That has always been good for me.

Many on here will sujest a flush is best for our 5r55e trannys. I say it is up to you as far as how much stress you put your trans through. Towing, racing etc. Some members have done either or and still had tranny problems. Others have done either or and had no problems.

I have done flush when a trans I was racing. The fluid seemed burnt.

I also have an external trans filter. So I do the dual change method, on my trac.

how do you put a drain plug in the pan... I mean.. is there a kit or something that has all the parts? and is there any certain spot to put the drain plug

I like that idea..changing the fluid more often..

What is that recommended filter again? I know I read somewhere there's a prefered one.

Thanks!

Brian B

The location shown in the project is ONLY POSSIBLE WITH THE 4x4 TRANSMISSION PAN.

The 4x2 pan is different. I put my drain plug in the little spot just behind the main sump, but I don't think it's the best place. There isn't anything there for it to interfere with, but it doesn't drain as much as it could if it were in the main sump.

I've been thinking about changing over to a 4x4 pan, though. More fluid and a better location for the plug. Just have to get a matching 4x4 filter to go with it.

In this thread Richard L says you can do a trans flush at home if you have a plug in your pan. I have a plug installed in my pan. What do I need to know to do the flush?

:banana:

Blac Trac,

There was a discussion about flushing your own fluid based a YouTube video: Follow the link to that thread, watch the video. Be sure to read the posts as there were a few minor points left out of the otherwise pretty good video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The location shown in the project is ONLY POSSIBLE WITH THE 4x4 TRANSMISSION PAN.

Why? I installed one on my 4X2 pan per the project, and it works great. I've done two pan drains/fluid-filter replacements.

What little is left in the pan after draining via the plug just runs into my drain container when I drop the pan. Very little mess.

I have a drain plug in my 4x2 pan as well. It's the LOCATION that I was commenting on. The 4x2 pan doesn't have a little sump in the middle like the 4x4 pan. If you put the drain plug in the middle, it could hit the filter or other transmission parts.