how many miles do you get off of your tank?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the winter, I am unable to get more than 250 a tank. During the summer, 325 to 350 and if I drive it slow (Which is almost never) I can do 400.

Tom

I got 395 last week around town. In the winter and summer using heavy AC or heat it goes to about 350-375. I have gone 400+ in the past.

2002 without mods, I average about 325 miles and usually put in 19-20 gallons. I have a pretty light foot and don't have any need to drive much more than 5 over the limit. I have averaged 17 mpg since I bought her. She will do a little better on the highway. I don't make a concerted effort, but have noticed that I usually stay below 3000 RPM when leaving from a standing start. I have always found it amusing that everyday to work and back I'll be passed by folks going 10 or 15 MPH over the speed limit, only to catch back up to them at every traffic light. They're not getting anywhere any faster than I am, but they think they are!:lol:

I have a 2003 stock ST with hard OEM tonneau. I get between 350 mpg and 380 mpg taking 20 to 22 gallons at fill up.

The best I've done was 19.2 mpg highway driving and that was the day I picked up

the tonneau cover.

I try to keep the rpm's no higher than 2500.

When my wife drives mileage go down to about 11mpg and

the rpms are always around 3000.

I personally have seen Jeff's fill ups of gas.

I too can get 22-27 MPG in my ST.... As a matter of fact I have close to 100 witnesses that I had close to 1,000 lbs of cargo driving to Louisville last year and 2 of them say that I was clocking 22-24 MPG on that trip. while they were getting 18-20 with no heavy cargo.

I have recorded as high as 27MPG. and was hoping to hit higher on the Louisville Trip but the cargo and A/C limited that.

Rachel can get in my 03 with mods 350-375 driving it around town, I personally get 300-350. depending how I drive. ( about 15mpg, Rachel is close to 20MPG)

NOW my 04 adren is a thirsty pig... That thing NEVER breaks OVER 300 a tank.

Never figured it out and never cared to.....

Todd Z

I've gotten as high as 21 mpg on the highway, but the average is more like 18-19. That's in a 2003 with 115,000 miles on it.

It all depends on how much gas I put in the tank. I have gotten as little as about 270 miles, and as much as 440 miles and filled up before the tank even got to empty.

A lot depends on where you drive, when you drive, the temperature, etc.

Remember, the Fuel gauge on the Sport Trac is very inaccurate so it should not be used to determine MPG.

I get about 16.5 - 17.5 MPG around town (I don't live or drive in a big city) and about 21-22 MPG on the highway doing 70-75 MPH. I get my best mileage driving at night from about 10:eek:oPM to about 6:00AM. I drove from Waco, TX to Louisville, KY last June and left at 12:00 Midnight and hardly seen a vehicle or hit the brakes until I was nearly to Little Rock, AR.

...Rich

I used to get 375... with larger tires... I dropped to 320 but that is because of the additional weight and speedo needs to be matched. But I always assumed that ST's with a 3.73 rear gear ration got better mileage than the 4:10(which is what i have.) is that false?

There is little to no difference between the 3.73 and the 4.10, but if you check the MPG log, the 4.10 does slightly better.

Tom

2001 with 4:10 gears

We get 330 normal city driving and Waco's not a very big city...

and have gotten 400 miles on highway with 200,000 miles on the trac

What I don't like is when the light comes on I'm suposed to have 50 mile warning but for my truck it's 22 miles and have to call for help. Been stranded more than once.

Susan

There is little to no difference between the 3.73 and the 4.10, but if you check the MPG log, the 4.10 does slightly better.

Fully agree, I owned both, both were stock, the 4.10 averaged 1 mpg better over the time I owned it.

Lately I've been getting about 300-320 miles before the 'Low Fuel' indicator lights up. I think that translates to about 14mpgs. I used to average about 17mpg but that included more highway miles. One road trip yielded 21mpgs on average. I drive her kinda hard though. I have an 04, 2WD, 4.10.

04 ST XLT 2 WD

350-400 with cold air, magnaflow muffler and no tonneau cover. The highest I've gotten is 420. All I do is highway driving.

If I'm not mistaken, the later Sport Trac's have a larger fuel tank. Also wouldn't the blend of fuel where you live make a difference as well?

TJR/Ape My point being, one of the reasons the gas companies always give for gas costing more in California. Is the blend they have to make for our great state. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
DSJ asks:
Also wouldn't the blend of fuel where you live make a difference as well?

I doubt it. Sure, if running E85 there is a difference. But everyone else should be running 87 octane...and that should be the same most everywhere, relatively speaking. ;-)

87 Octane!

Ape Out

P.S. I am not Ape, I just play him here. And now is when all the tuneboys chime in on how they are running jet fuel because they tweaked out their chips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts