Home/Office Network Printing Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that HP makes one of if not the best multifunctions. The only other brand that I would even consider is a Canon.

edit: I don't hink Canon has a network ready printer though

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have 3 Hp all in 1's...

The only thing I have to say about the HP is if you make a ton of copy's, Like business use, you will wear out the scanner....

ALSO check the price of replacement cartridges FIRST !!! Some models are cheep and some will ruin your credit ratting...

Todd Z

Rodger,

Most printers made for the home (or small offices) require a print server of some type. At home, your PC usually fills that role. If you want your printer to stand alone (not connected directly to a computer) though, you still have couple of options.

One option is to get a small network print server that would go inline between your router and your printer (the Netgear Model PS101 is one example). A second option would be to get a printer that is network-capable. These will have a built-in network controller, or a slot to add a network interface card. Network-capable printers are usually higher end, though, and might not fit your budget.

As far as all-in-ones, I've owned several HPs and have really liked them. They make a bunch of different ones with something that should fit your printing needs and financial tolerance.

I have an older model HP all in one printer. It's about 3+ years old now but has never given me a lick of trouble.

I also have an NEC 1260-SuperScript Laser printer that is about 6+ years old and still runs flawlessly. I just bought a rebuilt toner cartridge, the first replacement since I bought the printer new. Each toner cartridge is good for about 6000 pages.

...Rich

I have an HP 6110 print copy scan fax and love it. The newer models have Bluetooth (no cable to print) and wish I could have waited.

We recently bought a network-ready HP-7310. It prints, scans, copies and faxes. It even makes two-sided copies. It plugs directly into a router with a CAT-5 cable. It's been great so far, we love it.

I guess it all comes down to what bells and whistles you want, and how much you want to spend.

Thanks very much, guys. We already have a HP K60 All-In-One that is connects to our desktop, and it works great. It's just that we need to be able to print from our wireless networked notebook. If anyone can tell me how to print it that would be great.

Rodger,

If your desktop and notebook are networked, and the HP is hooked into the desktop, this is fairly easy. You need to make sure that "file and printer sharing" are enabled on both the desktop and notebook (found under the LAN Connection Properties). You also need to "share" the HP (right click on the HP's icon in Printer and Faxes). Finally, your notebook needs to "find" the printer. If the desktop is already "mapped" to the notebook, this should happen automatically (if it doesn't happen right away, and you don't feel like waiting, reboot the notebook). If the desktop isn't networked, that needs to be done first.

What you're asking about is exactly the configuration that I use. My desktop and wireless router are upstairs. My HP is connected to my desktop, and my desktop is connected to the router, and everything is networked together. Lastly, and this seems kind of obvious (but not to some people), the desktop has to be running in order to have access to the printer from the network.

Woops. Hang on a sec, I had a brain fart. Your notebook won't "find" a printer, you have to add it.

Once a printer has been shared you can access it from other computers on the network. To do so:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers And Other Hardware.

2. Click Add A Printer.

3. In the Add New Printer wizard, when asked whether the printer is a local or network printer, select the latter.

4. In the next screen, select the option to Browse For A Printer and click Next.

5. Select the appropriate printer from the list and continue with the wizard.

Steph,

kefguy is correct. You don't need a network compatible printer, you just need to share out the printer to the other PC's on your network. The only real drawback is that you must have the PC that has the direct connection to the printer turned on or none of the other PC's will be about to access the printer.

...Rich

I am on my second multi-function machine. Both have been HP. Currently use a 7110.

Both have been 'OK'. Faxing and printing are good. The scanning software is kind of clunky though. I have been used to using a more robust scanning software in business application, but I guess I 'make do' with the clunky software for my home personal use.

laser fax/scanner/printer/copier from Brother, $399 at Staples. I just bought one for my parents. i have used Brother faxes and small lasers for several years in my business and find them equal to similar HP's for durability and performance.

This is very easy to answer. HP 3310, built-in wireless networking, print, scan, fax, copy (3210 doesn't have the fax but it isn't wireless either). Watch for discount codes/coupons for Staples. I bought mine after the first of the year for ~$280 after sale price and discount coupon. This particular unit rated the top rating at some website that I was at recently for MFP's. This is their high end home unit.