History Channel never ceases to amaze me.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say screw anybody that can't take a joke. That's the problem with this nation. We have gotten so damn "politically correct" no one can say or do a damn thing anymore without "hurting someones feelings".

Sorry, I thought I was dealing with a little more intelligent and mature group of people. Obviously I made a big mistake in assuming that you all just not realize the joke might offend someone. Now that I see it was intentional, I know what I'm dealing with.

Enough said!

...Rich

It's the kind of story that a 3rd grader would make up.

Yes, that is what makes it funny. I'll tell you what, if it makes you feel better, Tomorrow I will post the following:

"Thank a MexiCAN for your freedom you ignorant, arrogant American B******. Because without MexiCAN's Napoleon would have taken over Texas, and the Dallas Mimes would have been a sissy NFL team. Que viva el Cinco de Mayo pendejos!"

This particular joke/story makes fun of Mexicans and their language by implying they would be so ignorant as to name a holiday, Cinco De...

F me, that's brilliant. Way to overanalyze something. Slow day at work?

Some people of Mexican decent may not take offense from the joke/story, but there are some who would.

Granted, and the party of the first Mexicans would probably laugh at them.

Nobleman,

It is what it is. Don't try to justify it or explain how someone else should accept your poor taste in humor. You can't possibly speak for all the Mexicans and how they would interpret your joke, so just stop trying. Be content that some others found it funny...I didn't and I'm not Mexican.

...Rich

Hey, I heard one the other day about this guy who read a joke on a message board and instead of realizing it was a joke, he thought it was one of those "urban myth" things floating around the Internet, and he jumped on it and tried to set the record straight. Then, when others told him to "lighten up because it was just a joke", he back-peddled and claimed the joke was racist and infantile rather than just blush and say "my bad!"

That's kinda like what it seems like happened on this thread. But I am talking about some other board, and some other thread, not this one! ;)

TJR

Hey, I heard one the other day about this guy who read a joke on a message board and instead of realizing it was a joke, he thought it was one of those "urban myth" things floating around the Internet, and he jumped on it and tried to set the record straight. Then, when others told him to "lighten up because it was just a joke", he back-peddled and claimed the joke was racist and infantile rather than just blush and say "my bad!"

Actually TJR that's just an urban myth. Never really happened. :D:D:D

By the way. I got an email containing Nobblemans original post a couple of weeks ago from a "hispanic" friend. I work with lots of blacks and hispanics and I find they have no problem laughing at their own race or other races. It seems to be mostly white people who's asses have gotten so tight it's affecting their thought process.

Much of the comedy we hear is based off of stereotypes.

Take Chris Rock. Being a Black Man himself, he uses the N-Word many time. He refers to the street trash black as the N-Word too. One skit was actually called "N____s Vs. Black People". Is that offensive? Aparently Chris Rock doesn't think so. He was pointing out difference between the worthless blacks and those that live thier life properly.

I have heard hispanic comedy, much along the same lines as Chris Rock.

It is a joke. Get over it. Laugh at ourselves, and others. When I see another human being, I know whether that person is Black, Hispanic, Asian, or anything else. No need to pretend I don't notice it. If a know a black guy going to the tropics, I don't feel I have to be afraid and ask them how much darker they will get, nor do I have to be ashamed that I just turn red.

We are people. Laught at each other, laugh with each other, and don't take life too seriously. We only have one, lets enjoy it while we can.

Sinko de Mayo.

:lol:

Tom

LOL I just don't get it anymore.

PC this, PC that, PC at work, PC at home, PC on virtual internet.

You know, there are going to be some that get their panties bunched in a wad no matter what. There is a difference between innocent jokes and those that are spiteful and hateful. We seem as a group to be capable of distinguishing the difference.

F PC

TJR, nobleman, TomT,

It does not matter if you, nobleman, or TomT do not feel that the joke should have offended anyone, Just the simple fact that someone may have found it offensive should be sufficient to qualify as something that does not belong on this site.

At least Nobleman had the sense to stop trying to justify his joke, Obviously you think you need to jump in to defend him by iattempting to belittle me because I felt the joke could be offensive to some Mexicans. That's the typical reaction for you and many others here. If someone disagrees or finds your remarks offensive, your response is to fabricate stories and send insults. Rather than address the actual problem, you choose to ingnore the problem and only focus on a discrediting or insulting that person.

If the joke was not intended to make fun of any ethnic group, simply stating that it was just a play on words and was not intended to offend anyone. Even after I pointed out several times that the joke was in poor taste, TomT jumps in an says "Screw anyone who can't take a joke".

If it was only a harmless joke, why are you all so upset that I did not find it funny and felt that it would be offensive to some Mexicans. Instead of stating that it was not intended to offend anyone, you attack me...very typical, The same group of people and the same reactions.

Why don't you imagine you were explaining the joke to a room full of angry Mexicans who took offense when they heard the joke. Or perhaps TomT would like to tell them "Screw you if you can't take a joke".

...Rich

The joke is funny, and it DOESN'T make fun of anyone's ancestry or ethnicity. It's just a clever play on words, and the fact that they can be misunderstood. There are great pun-based jokes for phrases and sayings in all languages.

But while we're on the subject of ones based on Spanish words being misunderstood for English words--

Back in the 1950's, Jose Rodriguez was a big fan of the Milwaukee Braves. When they made it to the 1957 World Series, he desperately wanted to go to one of the games. He took all his savings and drove to Milwaukee, just hoping to be able to buy a ticket. But alas, when he got there, he didn't have enough to buy even the cheapest ticket available from any scalper. Heartbroken, he was wandering around the outside of Milwaukee County Stadium when a police officer saw him and asked what was wrong. Jose told him his story, and the officer really felt sorry for him--but was unable to help him obtain a ticket. At that point, the officer remembered that the base of the flag pole was actually outside the center field wall. "If you were to climb up that flag pole, I bet you could have a pretty good view," said the officer. Well, sure enough, Jose was able to climb the pole, and had a great view of the game.

When he got home, he told all his family and friends about his trip to Milwaukee--and he absolutely gushed when telling about the friendliness of the officer and all the Wisconsinites he met. "In fact, they were so friendly," he told them, "that just before the game started, every single person in the stadium stood up and looked at me, and asked, 'Jose, can you see?' "

:)

At least Nobleman had the sense to stop trying to justify his joke,

Who said I stopped anything? I just actually had to do some work, and find the time to sleep. I'm also not trying to justify anything, just responding to your banter.

Why don't you imagine you were explaining the joke to a room full of angry Mexicans who took offense when they heard the joke.

I take offense on behalf of all Mexicans, to you referring to them as "angry Mexicans". It implies that all Mexicans are angry, and possibly violent and even criminal minded, as the reader may infer that some form of angry mob would form, and that bodily harm would come to the joke teller.

I further take offense on behalf of all Hispanic nationalities, because as we are all one-ish sort of a people, since they are "Angry Mexicans", one can only be led to believe that all Hispanic nationalities must be of the same cut that makes "Angry Mexicans" so angry, violent, criminal, and mob-like.

INSOHEREUNTOTHEREAFTER, I DO HEREBY ALSO ENACT MY MOST FURIOUS ANGER, DISLIKE AND OFFENSE TO THE TERM "HISPANIC". All persons of spanish heritage did not originate on the island of Hispaniola (hereunto referred to as the Dominican Republic), no offense to the proud and great people of DR. And I also take offense to my referring to it as DR, shortening, and thereby belittling, the full name of that country.

When I read into the term, HISPANIC, I see clearly, the phrase: "Hi Sp an Ic!", which is obviously a salutation to spanish people, using the racial slur, in secret code. Clearly, the 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th characters compose a racial slur, they are even in the proper order. Why isn't it "HICIANPS"?

I also see "His Panic" as in a "panic of his". Who is this his referred to in HIS Panic, and what is he afraid of? COULD IT BE "THE MAN"?? Again, it must mean that "Angry Mexicans" are just a form of "Angry Hispanics" who must all be violent, and taking aim at "THE MAN". Thank you for pointing that out Richard.

Oh... and I almost forgot:

Thank a MexiCAN for your freedom you ignorant, arrogant American B******. Because without MexiCAN's, Napoleon would have taken over Texas, and the Dallas Mimes would have been a sissier NFL team than the Cowboys. Que viva el Cinco de Mayo pendejos!

Pass me another Jose Cuervo, I'm not drunk enough!

Here's a question, who found the joke offensive? Anyone? In the back? Be sure to raise your hand, we may not be able to see you (that's a joke against short Mexicans, BTW).

RichardL I gotta say I am always one for some good humor and I found this to be pretty upfront and just kinda funny..... I will retell it... I think there is a big difference in this Joke as opposed to one like "why do all insert -color/race- people blah blah blah. There is comedy on tv now every week which makes good humor on all races from all viewpoints...

Lighthearted fun at differences in races is ok as long as you don't cross the line.... Where do we draw the line? I think it is just something you have to know and feel on your own.

I wasn't going to do this but youv'e forced me:

I had a bunch of Canadian dollars I needed to exchange so I went to the

currency exchange window at the local bank. Short line. Just one guy in

front of me...

The guy in front of me was an Asian guy who was trying to exchange yen

for dollars and he was a little agitated...

He asked the teller, "Why it change? Yestoday, I get two hunat dolla fo

yen ~ today I get hunat eighty? Why it change?"

The teller says, "Fluctuations."

The Asian guy says, "Fluc you white people too!"

There is a brand of Fire Retartent Clothing called Nomex. In Texas some Mexicans, maybe they are angry since they are known by some members as "Angry Mexicans", find offence in that term Nomex because it sounds like "No" "Mex" or No Mexicans!

I am offended by the term "Latin" that is used to refer to some Hispanics. They do not speak Latin and have never been part of that society. How offensive!!!

Quoted from "King of the Hill"

Hank: "So Kahn, are you Chinese or Japanese?"

Kahn: "I am Loation. It is a land locked country in Southeast Asia"

Hank: "OK, so are you Chinese or Japanese?"

I can't beleve those from Laos were not offended and maybe become "angry".

Tom

LOL. And if your easily offended, NEVER EVER watch the Simpson's. Especially if your really religious.

I just love that show.

Tom, that's almost as bad as the Asian that goes to the optometrist, who tells him he has cataracts. Asian guy says "No, I got Rincoln Continental".

grump

I was not going to reply.... But it's a slow day at work, so...

I do appreciate what Richard is telling and he has a point, some people might be sensitive to jokes involving a race or nationality, some others ignore them.

You know I'm Mexican, first I thought the joke was kinda funny, the use of words. I try to distance myself from stereotypes (both about my race and other races). I do not believe the intention of the joke was offensive, but if it was I certainly don't care, I'm not one to empower something like that by allowing it to offend me.

I think there's too much PCism nowadays, but the line between what's acceptable and what's offensive is blurred, and it varies from person to person as joseymack said.

Ethnicity is also blurred sometimes, my wife is mistaken often as European because of her accent (she learned English with a Russian teacher and a bunch of Iranian and French students), her skin is white and her hair light brown. Some people has mistaken me as Lebanese or Italian, and there's a colleague from the south of france that would look like a stereotypical Latino...

So I guess this issue is also open for debate and like politics and religion everybody has a good point...

Peace