History Channel never ceases to amaze me.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was

manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars

of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was

to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New

York.

This would have been the largest shipment ever delivered to Mexico. But

as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an

iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly

awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was

so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they

still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th. and is known,

of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

What a crock !!! The Titantic sunk on April 15th not May 5th. Cinco De Mayo is Mexico's independance day.

...Rich

Tracket Paul,

I don't need to lighten up. I know it was a spoof, I'm just amazed that there are people who believe that crock of BS.

...Rich

While the Titanic sunk on April 15 (actually it hit the iceberg on April 14 then sank in early morning hours), May 5 was the scheduled delivery day of the mayonaise to Mexico.

For more mayo humor, rent the movie "Undercover Brother" sometime. :lol:

Wow, I thought it was just a joke, and presented as a joke. I didn't think Nobleman or anyone that read it after his post thought it was real, or that Nobleman posted it to try to dupe people. But then, I am pretty much "lightened up". ;)

Roger,

I do not need to lighten up. It belittles the people of Mexico and those with Mexican ancestory who treat Cinco De Mayo (The 5th of May) as we treat our July 4th.

There are people who post this kind of BS here and it flows like water until someone checks it out on Snopes.com and finds it was just that, BS. People openly discuss the story and obviously believe it until the truth comes out and then they all claim they knew it was a fake, or they thought something sounded fishy.

While you may know it was a spoof, there are many people who would accept it as factual and that's where the problem lies. My reply was only to debunk this joke as pure fabrication so that nobody would actually believe there was a shred of truth to the story.

...Rich

While you may know it was a spoof, there are many people who would accept it as factual and that's where the problem lies. My reply was only to debunk this joke as pure fabrication so that nobody would actually believe there was a shred of truth to the story.

Don't most jokes try to start out as something serious just to suprise the listener with a "Punch Line"? Sorry that there are actually people that are so oblivious to the fact that 5 is not spelled "sinko" but cinco and Mayo does not mean mayonaise but the Spanish word for May.

I have never took one spanish class in school. I choose my herritage of Germany/Switzerland for my second language class.

It was a joke for crying out loud.

Tom

OMFG, you must be kidding me. Now I must go on.

Dijon, France... They make mustard there.

French's makes mustard.

The Mexicans whipped the French on Cinco de MAYO.

Corona is an excellent way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

If you mix mustard and mayo, you have dijonnaise.

If you mix Corona, Mayo, and Mustard, you make a mess.

It also makes an effective laxative.

Special Forces uses the mixture to remove blood stains from the desert sands, after camel spiders burst out of camel stomachs.

Saddam Hussein loves to munch on doritos.

Doritos and mustard give you diarrhea.

Diarrhea may be accompanied by vomiting.

Corona, Mayo, and Mustard will remove diarrhea stains from your toilet.

Coincidence?? I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen and Nobleman,

I completely understand the translation and the play on works "Sinco" (Sink as in Titantic) and "Mayo" (as in Mayonaise). I don't particularly like jokes that have ethnic and racial overtones and tend to belittle people based on their race, religion or ethnic background.

This particular joke/story makes fun of Mexicans and their language by implying they would be so ignorant as to name a holiday, Cinco De Mayo in honor of the sinking of the Titanic. It's the kind of story that a 3rd grader would make up.

Some people of Mexican decent may not take offense from the joke/story, but there are some who would. Those kinds of jokes may appear harmless to you . but not to others, and therefor have no place on this forum.

...Rich