Headers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Has anyone installed shorty headers on a gen II V-8? Would headers made for a 4.6L 05-10 Mustang GT fit? I don't want to suffer through anymore warped exhaust manifolds.

If you can get them to fit. Long tubes work best on the 3 & 4 valve, 4.6L.

It might be easier to make the pipeing for shorties though.

I have never personally looked closley at the gen 2 V8 engine bay.

From tech articles I have read. The long tubes perform 60% to 70% better on the 4.6L, than shorties. It likes to breath deep.

Thanks Eddie but I would expect it would be nearly impossible to find long tubes that would fit an Explorer. I doubt if anyone even makes shorties specifically for it but getting a set of shorties made for a Mustang to work would seem a whole lot more likely. I am not necessarily looking for a huge performance gain anyway. I am more interested in not having to deal with warped factory manifolds and the broken studs and exhaust leaks that are the result. If and when mine start leaking again I will probably try to adapt Mustang headers of some sort. Once a hot rodder always ...:grin:

I hear ya.

Because of the disimular metals. I would think ford would go tubular for the flexing.

I tend to think that if anyone made Sport Trac V8 headers it would be JBA, but I only see V6 headers on their site.

Nothing at Gale Banks either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking at Summit Racing's website. They do not list anything for the Explorer but they do have listings for the F-150. I think the headers they have listed for the 4.6L are all for the earlier 2 valve heads, not the 3V. However, they do list several that are shown as direct replacements for the factory manifolds on the later years of the F-150 with the 5.4L. Doesn't say which heads they fit though, 2V or 3V. I might be wrong but I thought all of the later year 5.4L's were 3V. For example, they do have listings for the 2010 5.4L F-150. Might be a better fit than ones made for a Mustang...

I think the Mustang headers would be much closer. I think the heads are the same and that's a start. Secondly, I think the compact engine bay of the Mustang will more closely resemble that of the ST. The F150's bay is much bigger and I'm positive the header's will directly reflect that and capitalize on the extra space.

You could right about the size of the engine bay. One thing that could be an issue is the closeness of the steering shaft to the driver side manifold on the Sport Trac. The factory manifold has an indentation in that area.

I think the 3V heads are all the same regardless of whether they are on a 4.6 or a 5.4. The 5.4 does have a taller deck height on the engine block which makes the engine wider which in turn places the exhaust manifolds higher and wider in the engine bay.

For the guys that are running a supercharger on the 4.6, are you still using the factory manifolds?

BBK makes several versions of "shorties". One is an equal length model for the 3V, 4.6 in a Mustang. Its hard to go by what the pictures look like to know if they fit. BBK hasn't been able to determine if they do fit. Thier suggestion was to order(ha-ha) and try the fitment and to inform them if it does. As long as they aren't damaged in any way, they could be returned.

The one nice feature is that the cats in the down pipes can be used as a direct bolt-on for your system. If you look at the installation PDF, you'll find the steering shaft has to be removed and the motor mounts disconnected to lift each side of the motor to install them.

I agree that long tubes will offer more performance, especially at higher RPM, but the difference between the two as far as HP gains is only 5-15 HP. Significant gains are really to be had if some motor work is done. Ex: ported heads, cams and intake set-up(manifold and TB).

In trying to figure out what to do, I've been comparing my '06 Mustang GT engine bay to the Trac and the Trac has a bit(not much) more room, so it may be possible. Long tubes would require aftermarket cats, O2 sensor extention wiring and some custom fabrication of an exhaust system to make it all work. Remember, there is only so much room under the truck. The Mustang runs its exhaust down along the driveshaft tunnel, ours is routed to one side due to the gas tank being on the passenger side.

I plan on doing all of this during this winter season(motor/headers & exhaust) $$ permitting! The motor work is not a big deal, but the Ford racing intake may interfere with the hood and the fitment of the shorties is a longshot, but necessary to make it work. I, and all of you, will just have to wait for me to see. Unless someone tries it first, keep us in the loop. Bob

Well, all the SC guys on this forum or explorerforum run the OEM manifolds.

I think that SuperchargedSVT had plans for heads, cams and long tubes that he was working the details out for.

Just have Kooks make a custom set.......

Done.

Todd Z

On one of the other boards I saw that one of the guys who was planning to install a supercharged 5.4L had changed his mind and was now planning to go with a 5.0L Coyote. I think it might have been SuperchargedSVT. I think he was even selling a bunch of parts from the 5.4 swap. I will see if I can find that thread again.

So Brenspeed or whoever is doing the supercharger installs doesn't have any header recommendations? Seems like a helluva bottleneck...

From what I understand, the OEM manifolds flow pretty well. I agree that it's a bottleneck though. However, once you're supercharged, there is very little else you can do with the stock internals and transmission.

I really wanted to do headers on my Saleen conversion but I can't afford it lol. I'm not even sure I'll be able to do the cams and BAP as it is. The SC conversion with supporting mods is $9,127.07 out the door. To add the cams, phaser bolts and a KB BAP it's another $1,769.55 out the door.

Custom built long tubes will be over $1500 for sure. Then I'm pushing 450+AWHP and I'm way beyond what my drivetrain can handle. So, then I need to spend $4000 on a built short block, $5500 on a built Tran with TCM and somehow find a way to beef up the half shafts to support the monster TQ.

i will be looking too and need a real header solution. Last day at the tuners tomorrow. E85 conversion done, #60 injectors, 255 lph pump, 24V boost a pump, spinning at 12 psi, they think 500 to the roller is possible, I should have video tomorrow... e85 allows you to tune at 105 octane... Not to mention it's a buck cheaper a gallon over 93

Latest posts