Has anyone figured this out?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
I'm planning on using my ST to haul my motorcycle on some long distance excursions come next summer. I've got new tires for my ST, added some additional tie-down points and I've done a few other mods to make hauling my bike either safer and/or easier. But one thing that really bothers me is the fact that the spare tire is not accessible with the tailgate down. Personally I would like to kick the butt of the engineer that decided that. :fire:

Nonetheless, having a tire problem on the open road, and having to untie the bike, position ramps, unload the bike, etc, etc on a leaning truck would be more than a PITA. I could of course have the spare in the bed (and Ill probably do that) but has anyone figured out a mod that allows the spare to be lowered with the tailgate down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking remove the tailgate. Won't work with the bike in the bed. Sorry.:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, the rear tire is sitting almost in the middle of the tailgate. No way the tailgate can be closed with the bike in the bed. Seems so stupid to design a small bed truck that if fully loaded will most likely have the tailgate down.....don't get me started.

Just take the spare down and carry it in the bed with the bike...

Todd Z

I guess what was in my mind was lowering the manual unit about 1.5 to 2" and having a new access hole, which the goal of being able to lower when the tailgate is in the down position. I dropped the wheel the other day, but found the wrench unit to be above and main frame unit. Messing with it did not look simple or easy.

Todd, yes, as I mentined I'll probably carry the tire in the bed, but its not ideal. And I don't like to have another item that I need to secure and deal with.

The vid' doesnt give info of where to get the motor.

Also Im not sure there is room for the motor, to mount.

If I remember the cable driver slot is above the framework.

If not. It might work with the tire turned face down.

I do that anyway so I can check the air pressure.

It might take some cutting and rewelding the frame work.

I like the Idea, though. Not have to get the factory stuff out.

I carry my own tire tool and aluminum floor jack. The factory stuff sucks.

I had suggested a electric motor to Ford at one of the national meets in Louisville. They dodged the question by simply saying.."And how much are you willing to pay for an electric spare tire winch?" I think $100 would not be excessive, but I'm sure it could be done for less.

The other option I thought about was to a reversable cordless drill to turn the existing shaft for the spare tire winch....I did not look at relocating the winch crank, but it might be possible to reroute the crank to the inside of the bed ... perhaps in the corner behind the taillight? Or perhaps make the spare tire crank accessable from under the bumper?

...Rich