Got my New '07 ST Today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYJohn

Reaction score
SO today I picked up the new ST. For the most part I'm very pleased with the V8 engine but for some reason it doesn't always kick in when I hit the gas. Sometimes it excellerates slow and other times it basically launches from a red light.And I cant get the tires to screech even with the traction control off. The seat belt reminder chime does not shut off which becomes annoying after a while so that will have to be dealt with later on. And putting on a K& N cone filter will be hard since the air sensor and the stock filter cover is all one piece. My guess is you'll have no choice but to replace the air sensor if you want to put on a cone filter.Other than that the ST feels great and looks great. I'll get some pics up over the weekend.

Maybe the tranny just needs to be broken in and learn your driving style. Man, I shouldn't put 'tranny' and 'broken' in the same sentence around here. Congratulations!

John, The intake is a pain, but available for the earlier explorers.... ABout 300 bucks.... Ouch...

As for the performance.. This is called Ramp in.. Ford lowered the ramp in of the v8 for economy... I am sure that can be changed, But I drove 6-8 different 07's, and they all did that... Give It some time, Or a good new computer tune .... :D:D

Todd Z

It is all due to throttle by wire. My 05 Mustnag hs TBW and I hate it. Get used to it, the only way to change it is with a tune using an aftermarket tuner (SCT II, Diablo, etc.)

Is there a comp tune available for the the 07 yet? I had a superchip in the old ST and I'd love to get one for the new one. And with the intake, all the shops in my area told me I'd have to wait at least 6 months for something to be available. I don't know if I can wait that long!!

NYJohn,

Great Topic! My 07 does the same thing! I'll keep a look out for any upcoming chips and give you a heads up if I find anything; and if you don't mind let us know if and when you find something....

G Pep

Welcome to the club. My "ramp in" is sporadic. I'm tired of it. It's as though the engine always wants to start in 2nd gear, no matter what. To save fuel? It's annoying. I hope it stops. I don't know if anyone has anything out yet to tune the computer.

Read your book for instructions about belt-minder. You need to do a sequence of steps in order to turn it off. Like setting ignition to Run, and then a few steps including latching and unlatching the seat belt 9 times. One instruction metions that you must do this under moderate speed. So, you have to drive and do all this stuff, it seems scary to me that Ford would want you to do that, but they probably just want to scare you into wearing the belt, anyway. I was an EMT and know that seatbelt + airbag = walk away from a wreck. I also know that no seatbelt + airbag = neck brace or paralyzation. Which would you prefer?

:D

I was at a dealership in Hamburg, PA called Schlenker Ford. My dad and I went. He has a 03ST and is going to order an 07ST after driving mine. The ride, power, and no wind noise are the 3 things he loves. Nothing is wrong with his 03, he's just in love with the '07. Anyway, Joan, our sales consultant, asked if I had been to mysporttrac.com and read some of the posts about the 07ST. I told her I was a member. The dealers are mentioning our forum to customers for more info on the ST!

I've spent the last 3 days searching for everyhing from chips, to exhausts,to air intakes, grill inserts, etc, etc. I've been tohalf the custom shops here in NYC and they are no help. Now if I had an escalade and wanted Lamborguini doors, then they could help me. I'll keep an eye out also G Pep. As for the seat belt minder thing, when I get on the highway I usually always put my belt on but most of the time I'm stuck in traffic going not more than 20 MPH. I've actually seen 2 car wrecks where a seatbelt would have or actually did more damage. One - where an SUV broadsided a small car knocking the driver into the passenger seat. If he had a seatbelt on the bumper of the SUV would have taken his head off. The other involved my father where he drove into an overpass support. The engine pushed through the dashboard crushing his leg. If he DID NOT have a seat belt on, the force probably would have thrown him into the passenger seat sparing his leg. I know these are 2 rare exceptions but It's something to think about.

Yep, NYJohn they are rare exceptions. Then there was the accident my dad was in. A state of OK DOT truck broadslided when a tire blew, hit my dad's front-driver side corner at an angle, and drove the front pillar into his head and the steering wheel through his chest; and he had no seatbelt on.

We would like to think that IF there were no seatbelt one might have a chance to be thrown clear, or pushed away by the other vehicle.

Unfortunately, Physics doesn't work like that. An object at rest tends to stay at rest, and object in motion tends to stay in motion. When t-boned the side impact doesn't immediately push someone away, that's the secondary affect. Same with a headon on collision.

TJR

have a chance to be thrown clear,

I always liked that reasoning. Anyone ever fell out of a chair or have fallen off a ladder? It hurts...doesn't it. Imagine how bad it would hurt the be thrown out of your vehicle then land on your face on the concrete.

Tom

I always liked that reasoning. Anyone ever fell out of a chair or have fallen off a ladder? It hurts...doesn't it. Imagine how bad it would hurt the be thrown out of your vehicle then land on your face on the concrete.

or face first into the overpass support that was driven into after you smash the windshield with your face.

It's a tuff choice to make - wearing my seatbelt and not hearing th reminder OR hearing the reminder , but having the possibility of bouncing my head off the concrete. I'll have to think about this one for a while. j/k

NYJohn - The side impact person being thrown to the passenger side, would be knocked across the car by the SUV bumper you described.

Thrown clear??.... Darwin at work. The cases of people who are better off with no belts are what my statistics professor called "statistical outliers" or his more colorful term the "Uncle Tony law". Statistical outliers are the exceptions to the rule and are so rare and so far outside the normal distribution from mean that they are considered to be of negligible statistical value. The prof said the "Uncle Tony law" refers to the "Uncle Tony" that everyone seems to have who has smoked three packs a day, drank a fifth of scotch and BASE jumped his way to a healthy 80th birthday with his AIDS-infected-IV-drug-using-Haitian girlfriend.

I have handled approximately 250,000 total loss automobiles in my career and spoken at length with thousands of insurance adjusters, tow drivers, cops and EMT's.

I have never met a person in our industry who didn't wear their belts, even before mandatory laws.

If a person refuses to believe the giant piles of statistics in favor of belts and prefers the aecdotal stories of a few statistical outliers, then they should prepare to be removed from the gene pool at some point. Unelss they are your Uncle Tony.