Got a new motor - what do I need to swap out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
In follow up to this thread about my motor seriously overheating and making no compression:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1110886&REPLYCOUNT=27&LAST=5/10/2008_10:11:51_AM

I ended up buying a motor with only 900 miles on it for $1000.

I ran a carfax on the vin just so I could be sure what it came out of and it is from a 2003 2 door Explorer Sport. Everything looks the same to me except the injectors - My injectors are blue and the injectors in the new motor are red. I'm sure those are different and am going to swap them, but I am wondering if there is anything else I need to swap out?

It's pretty much complete except the front accessories - longblock with valve covers, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors/fuel rails, looks like all the sensors are there, the main wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, and water pump.

Another concern of mine is that the water pump is very, very tight. I know how firm a new water pump feels but this really seems to be much tighter than a new water pump, it takes both hands wrapped around the pulley and a lot of pressure to spin it. Is this normal for these pumps??

Last edited by a moderator:
I would change the pump now any way......

Hoses, belt, fluids,Oil, all the basic easy stuff to change now before it is in and too late.....

Sounds like you have everything in order.....

Todd Z

Wow, this truck is seriously one of the biggest PITA vehicles that I have EVER worked on!! It was frigging easier to work on and pull the motor in my old V6 FWD Taurus SHO than the ST, and that's saying a lot!

On a 4x4 ST is it even possible to change the starter without pulling the entire front diff/pumpkin or the whole trans?? Jeez

Anyway, got the motor pulled today and the new on is on the docket for tomorrow.

Yeah, these engineers were on crack, jeez!

I need a new exhaust gasket and can't seem to find it anywhere. It's the gasket between the y-pipe and can't seem to find it anywhere except on Zabtech's website, but I need it right away. Anywhere else to buy this?