Gen2 STA: Modern Transmission Swapping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
It's pretty well known that the driveline in the ST is the weak link. I'd like to do a supercharger in the next few years. I'm having issues deciding on how much to spend on what supercharger I buy. Some of them will give me just enough power and some have a potential that is much higher than the driveline in my STA can handle.

So, I'm researching what is involved in swapping out the transmission. If that is a possibility, I may consider a built bottom end and a more powerful supercharger. If I can't get it done, I'm not wasting money on a part that I'm only going to utilize 70% of.

What is involved with swapping out a transmission?

There is NOTHING out there to build up the Gen2 ST 6R trans. I'm thinking about swapping the 6R60 out of my Gen2 STA and installing a built tran from another vehicle. Maybe something with 4 or 5 speeds.

I'm assuming it would have to be compatible with the engine somehow?

I'm assuming that I will need the TCM with it...or can I use the STA's TCM and change it with an SCT?

It has to be an automatic tran.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they do make stand alone TCM's for racing transmissions......

You need to figure the removal, linkage, Flywheel compatibility, converter compatibility, Starter and any other periferals.....

i converted 2 cars in my life.... Both were from Auto to manual......

I know Dave turner is running a stand alone TCM in his off road truck..

Todd Z

the guy at certified transmission said that since it is the navigator tranny that if needed, he could beef it up and change the programming for crisper shifts. Not sure what I will need. Speed is an addiction, if I was going to look at all the driveline work, I wouldnt spend it here, I would buy a matching Shelby and use the STA as tow vehicle. Speed addiction is a tough thing. I actually was so hooked, I built race tracks, drag strips, motorcross tracks, and even a lake for jet ski racing.. and was in deeper than most.

I don't want a Shelby. I want mad low end acceleration with my wanna-be Lightning lol.

I was even flirting with swapping my 3:55s front and rear for a 4:10 or larger to give it some real low end crushing torque. However, my fuel economy would be completely obliterated and it costs about $3000 to do that to an AWD STA.

The actual swap part is the easy thing. What you are going to have trouble with is programming. I don't know if this is true or not but I have heard that the 6R60 is also used in some twin turbo luxury exotics that put out north of 500 hp but I don't know what the torque numbers of those vehicles are and it is ultimately torque that kills the trans.

Look for a wrecked Mustang with a 5 or 6 speed tranny(from a 4.6L motor), with flywheel, clutch, shifter and bell housing and the pedal assembly from a Ford Ranger. Hydraulic clutch is a no brainer and modifying the console should be straight forward. Don't know what to do with all the extra sensors and wiring from the automatic. If you can figure that out, you'd have one hell of a ride!!! Bob

l1tech you are correct, the 6R60 is actually being used in some cars and SUVs that are in the BMW line. From what I am finding the transmission is actually a ZF manufactured unit, but I'm not sure if the others are using the same torque converter and I'm pretty sure the programming is a bit different.

We use ZFs in some of the equipment we sell and the characteristic similarities are definitely there. You can feel that even with the 4.6L there is unused power and I can't help but believe that if someone could open up all of the tables of this unit there would be good things that could be had.

I knew the unit was a ZF but it escapes me what vehicles it is used in. For some reason I want to say that Bently is using it in one of their twin turbo monsters but I'm not 100% on that adn I'm sure that everyone is using a different torque converter.

Interesting.

Brenspeed claims that their new built AT mustang tran will work with our sport tracs even though it's a 5 speed. Good for a little over 600whp.

Latest posts