Gen 2--V8, exhaust manifold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSondra Grossen

Reaction score
Anybody other Gen 2 owners have issues with theirs??

We seem to have found an exhaust leak from the manifold on the passengers side. It goes away once it warms up. We pulled the heat shield off and dont see any obvious signs of cracked manifold or leaky gasket.

I started up mine the other day, and on the drivers side I hear the ticking noise, much like an exhaust leak at the manifold. Once it warms up it is silent again, but let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and tick tick tick starts again at the next start up. Drivers side is wher eit is coming from best I can tell. About 58k on mine, '07 4.6L...

There was an issue with a sensor or something else like this making noise...

Try tightining the bolts from the manifold to the head....

Todd Z

You might check your spark plugs. I found one of my plugs slightly loose on my 5.4 F150 a few weeks back, it was causing a ticking like an exhaust leak, but it wasn't always audible.

Cracked passenger side manifold, or broken stud, heat expands the problem before it can be detected, happen to me, right around 60K, still have a warenty till a 100, had the dealer replace the manifold, change the spark plugs too, broke two, also broke most of the manifold studs/bolts, doing the job

Was your broken stud on the passenger or driver side? Did it exhibit the same noise until warmed up or was it constant? I hope to be able to dive into mine tomorrow to investigate further. Just kind of embarrassing to have a newer vehicle that sounds like that...

Wounder if some one can search TSB and see if this is becoming a problem??

Todd Z

Just was out in the driveway playing with mine. The top stud all the way in the back by the firewall on the driver side felt finger tight. I got a wrench on it and spun it and spun it and spun it..no change. I can spin it freely (nut and stud) but cannot remove it. I am unable to check the bottom ones without jacking it up, and my driveway is kind of steep...not worth it. I'm going to have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. It is as if the stud is snapped off down in the head.. Easy spot to get to as well (kidding). Guess it is time for me to find a mechanic here in SoCal....

Ours will make a trip to the dealership next week. I'm sure its gonna be costly, especially if the stud sheared at the head and they need to retrieve! Will keep everyone posted, thanks for the feedback everyone~ :)

Just dropped mine off. Extended Warranty said it "sounds" like an issue that will be covered.. Fingers crossed! I'll post up results when I have them....

Ours will get dropped off Sunday night. After listening to it today, they're almost certain its a broken stud. Also, having the spark plugs done at the same time! Plus an outstanding recall for the gear shift. Time to take care of it all~

Ok..just called to see what the diagnosis is.. Apparently they cannot replicate it... Said they were going to warm it up and drive it around for a while to see if they could duplicate the problem. I asked him if I needed to come down there to physically point at the rear drivers side upper manifold bolt that is broken to get it fixed. He said unfortunately it is more in depth than just that, and they have to warm it up to see if it still does it. I again explained to him, just like I did when I dropped it off, that after 15-20 seconds of running the noise stops, because the manifold or head heats up and seals it off. Again he said they would have to warm it up and see if it does it. Not like it is a warranty issue where they are trying to get out of fixing it, as I am out of warranty from Ford... Not sure what the issue is. What it sounded like was that they had not had time to look at it yet, even though my appointment was at 730 this morning. His final words were they might keep it until Mon or Tuesday to try and replicate the problem... Oy!

Latest posts