Gen 2--V8, exhaust manifold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why we are dropping off Sun night and the service manager left a note on our key envelope, DO NOT START BEFORE TECH. He was able to hear it this afternoon after sitting for awhile. This way it is not started or warmed beforehand so the tech can hear it right away. The dealership has a 5.4 in the shop today going on its 3rd day for the same problem! Your guy is thinking opposite....it needs to cool down to replicate instead.

I think after I explained it to him again he figured it out. Called me back at 545 Friday afternoon to tell me they had a new gasket in stock, but had to order a set of manifold bolts and a new manifold, and they will not be in until Tuesday or Wednesday. They also had to contact my extended warranty company, and he told me they were closed until Monday. They cannot proceed until they get approval from them. After I got off the phone with them I called Geico, whom the extended warranty is through. I just thought it kind of strange Geico would be closed. Geico was still open. And they are open on Saturday too. By this time the service dept was already closed.

So now, Saturday morning I have already called Simi Valley Ford and explained to them that I don't appreciate them telling me that my warranty company is closed, when in fact they are not. Making up a lie to me saying that they couldn't do anything until Monday and leaving my vehicle with them until then was not appreciated. At least attempt to call please. Don't assume they are closed and then tell me they are. They explained to me that most warranty companies are closed on the weekends and evenings. Still does not compute!

Anyways, ordered the manifold, bolts, studs and gaskets to replace drivers side manifold. Would hate to not have the warranty for a job like this. Not really sure how they will even get to the broken off stud to remove it. Cannot be easy at all in that location!

svt- yours may be fixed before mine if they can source all the parts they need close by. Mine is still waiting for the manifold to arrive. I'll post up the cost of parts and all if I get it done before yours. They were hoping to have the parts in on Mon or Tuesday, and told me it would be $250 (deductible).

They called with an update...need to order parts, should be here tomorrow. I asked specifically, and he said gaskets, bolts and studs. Will call tomorrow again for another update. Im not sure if the manifold needed replaced yet, or if they had one in stock to use?

Sondra

Does anyone have access to the TSB database to see if there has been an issue? Now I'll worry about the other side too. Asked them to look at them while it was in there, but they said that they could only work on the driver side where the problem is at....

Did you get an update on yours Mike? Just called about mine. They forgot to order the manifold gasket, but the manifold did arrive today. Told him I would run down to Auto Zone and buy the Fel Pro they have in stock and bring it to him. Said he wishes it were that easy, but I cannot do that. Since the extended warranty is covering it, they have to supply all the parts. Hopefully tomorrow he said they will be able to start working on it. I hope so, since it has been there since Friday morning as soon as they opened...

Not really getting a good vibe from them right now. We will see how it all pans out. I could understand the difficulty locating parts if I lived in BFE, but here I am an hour outside of Los Angeles. Figured that there would be a better network for getting parts...

Just got some good news from the dealer on mine:

Geico (extended warranty company) called me to say that now they need to send out an inspector to the dealer to view the vehicle since the dealer requested additional time after breaking off additional manifold studs. The call dropped in the middle, so I called right back and got another rep at Geico. Said he had exactly the same problem with his F150, and his neighbor had same issue with the 4.6 in a Mustang. He was able to get the inspection waived and called the dealer to allow them to proceed on the repair. 15 minutes later the same rep from Geico called me back to say that there will be no deductible charge that I am responsible for on this repair, because (I forgot about it) the vehicle was still under the warranty, and they were considering this a part of the power train which is warrantied out to 60k miles, and lucky for me I am about 2k miles under that. :banana: Not at all helpful for you though Mike being just over it.. I hope to get it back this afternoon.

Did you pick up yours today?

Nope! they called about 3:30pm and said they were having trouble with removing the studs. I know it has to be a hell of a process without taking the head off, so its understandable why it takes time. I think they didnt try to get involved with it until the new parts arrive, which has cost them almost 2 days. Will update tomorrow after they call~

I did not get mine yesterday either. He had told me it would be ready and he would call me to confirm before I got a ride down there. It got the be 530 (they close at 6, and it takes about 20 minutes to get there with traffic/lights) so I called. Said the motor was all back together, but they still have to put the drivers side fender back on the ST, which had to be removed to drill out/replace several studs that sheared off inside the head. Told me first thing in the morning it will be ready. Told him my ride could drop me off at about 8. He said not that early, because his tech has court in the morning and he would have to try to borrow a tech from another team to try to get the fender back on and trim snapped back into place, and he was not sure someone from another team would be available, so it may be until late afternoon when his tech comes back from court... :banghead:

I should have just used the rental coverage I have with my auto insurance and taken a rental vehicle. Suck having to get rides everywhere... I had no idea that when I took it in a dropped it off last Friday @ 730am, that I would still be without vehicle on Thursday the next week...

Called out to Ford service and they said the ST is in the air yet, trying to get the bolts out of the manifold. Looks like we can hope for tomorrow.

We have been fortunate to have other vehicles to drive, but also didnt expect it to be a full work week either. I hope it gets to be home for the weekend!!

The Model A hasnt made it out yet this year. But the 66 mustang and 96 Cobra have helped (for him to drive and I take his 96 Thunderbird) However, if it calls for rain, I borrow the neighbors Explorer....LOL. You know how it is!

Sondra

What a difference an hour makes! They called by 4:00 to say it was DONE!! we just picked it up. They installed a right exhaust manifold and removed THREE broken studs. All seems good now! :) :banana: :supercool:

Still waiting on mine that was going to be ready this morning.. Mine was the left manifold. Hopefully I won't have problems with the other side, and you the other way around... How much was the total if you don't mind saying...

Picked mine up. He handed me the keys in one hand and two broken extracted studs in the other. To be honest, I don't think it was ever even that quiet the day I picked it up at the dealer when it was unloaded off the transport with 12 miles on the odometer. He did not have any paperwork for me to take or sign just yet, as it was closing time. Said he would mail me the paperwork. I asked him how much the repair would have cost had I had to pay for it and he estimated 700-900 dollars including parts.. It definitely smells like there are new exhaust parts on it... has tha new part smell..

I took mine to the dealer today for the shifter "recall". I asked them to look into the leak. They found a broken stud. They said that judging from the position, they would probably have to pull the head. The estimate was $1200.

The same dealership offers extended warranties. I'm wondering if I can purchase a 1 year extended warranty and then have the repair done under warranty, or if they will deny it as a pre-existing condition.

My other option is to wait to see if this becomes a recall due to the # of issues people are having.

Any opinions?

It could go either way for your warranty, depends on the dealership working with you. Also, if it covered under their extended warranty and at what percentage. But I dont think a recall will be issued.

Latest posts