Gas Gauge failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sava1

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
2010 V6 Adrenaline
When I have a full tank the gas huge indicates that the tank is full, but after I drive about 30 miles, the gas gauge drops to empty, from time to time it will spring back up, then back down to empty. I have added about 4 bottles of the Chevron Techron fluid, but still same issues.
Any recommendations?

Bad sender in the tank... Must replace fuel pump and level assembly.

Bad sender in the tank... Must replace fuel pump and level assembly.
I was afraid of that, I was hoping that someone would have come across some sort of cleaning solution that would have resolved it.

In my 2004, my gauge has also been erratic. The fuel light will be on and show empty after filling the take. After about 100 miles it suddenly bounces to full and acts normal. Then repeats. I started adding a can of Seafoam when filling the tank. I've done two tanks with the Seafood and I'm seeing improvement. It makes me wonder if things get "sticky" in the unit and just needs cleaning. I will do this a couple more times to see if it solves the problem.

In my 2004, my gauge has also been erratic. The fuel light will be on and show empty after filling the take. After about 100 miles it suddenly bounces to full and acts normal. Then repeats. I started adding a can of Seafoam when filling the tank. I've done two tanks with the Seafood and I'm seeing improvement. It makes me wonder if things get "sticky" in the unit and just needs cleaning. I will do this a couple more times to see if it solves the problem.
Once I finish the containers of chevron, I’ll try the seafoam

2010 V6 Adrenaline
When I have a full tank the gas huge indicates that the tank is full, but after I drive about 30 miles, the gas gauge drops to empty, from time to time it will spring back up, then back down to empty. I have added about 4 bottles of the Chevron Techron fluid, but still same issues.
Any recommendations?
Just record odometer mileage on a piece of paper ...fill truck up with gas. And 200 miles. Refill tank....
Why spend $300/$600 on a new fuel pump.

Just record odometer mileage on a piece of paper ...fill truck up with gas. And 200 miles. Refill tank....
Why spend $300/$600 on a new fuel pump.
I currently do that with the trip gauge and the fuel used gauge, I reset both of them when I fill up. With the trip gauge when I hit 280 miles I’ll go to the gas station and as a backup, I’ll check how much fuel I use.

If it happens consistently I might look into a repair but I've had three Sport Tracs - 03, 01, 04 currently and they've all had intermittent issues with the gas gauge. The 03 from brand new and bringing it back to the dealer when I was sick of it was an expensive mistake. I hardly even look at the gas gauge anymore. I use the trip counter for fuel mpg's anyway so that's how I do tank refills.

I am gonna try this. Ordered a case for $100.
Waiting for my tank to be empty to pour it in!

Cleaners and additives only work for a few months.

Cleaners and additives only work for a few months.
Understood, but if I would get it to work, I wouldn’t mind adding a cleaner every few months

Understood, but if I would get it to work, I wouldn’t mind adding a cleaner every few months
It will not fix it.

if your mind is set on using additives save yourself some money by buying naphtha camp fuel and adding isopropyl alcohol..

1713757132357.jpeg

There are times when float electrical wiper wears through the resistance wire windings causing intermittent failure when fuel level causes float to drop below worn area breaking the contact..
Adding fuel raising float will often bring gauge back to life..

if your mind is set on using additives save yourself some money by buying naphtha camp fuel and adding isopropyl alcohol..

View attachment 5155

There are times when float electrical wiper wears through the resistance wire windings causing intermittent failure when fuel level causes float to drop below worn area breaking the contact..
Adding fuel raising float will often bring gauge back to life..
Rod - thanks for the info, is there a brand and an amount of fluid I could add on a tank of gas, I don’t have an issue experimenting, as long as I don’t cause more damage.

Its only going to fail, I've had no luck with additives for this. the ethanol in the gas kills the sending unit.

Latest posts