Frying a Turkey!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
Has anyone ever fried a turkey? I did this weekend for the first time and it was the best ever!!!

Anyone who has done this before, can you recomend a good solid turkey frying rack? It's the rack used to place the turkey into the oil.. I can't seem to find a good sturdy one.

Thank,

joycie

Been frying turkeys for about 15 years. I have a basket that came with my pot. Try Pro Bass, Cabelas, Home Depot or Ace hardware. Most of the time the rack isn't sold seperately.

You can play around when frying by injecting different things into the turkey before frying.

Wine, butter mixture, Italian Dressing, or the best Liquid Crab Boil thinned 4 parts water to 1 part Boil.

Enjoy

I like garbage pail cooked turkeys as well !!!!

JUST watch the oil level and water content of the bird before inserting it into the hot oil...

Todd Z

My fryer came with both a basket and another "object" that is inserted into the turkey. That works the best, it allows oil to better surround the turkey.

Anyone ever deep fried a steak? When we got our fryer there was a recipe for it in the cookbook. It sounded so wierd that we had to try it. I'm southern, so anything deep fried sounds pretty good to me. So we injected the steak with some seasoning and dropped it in. By far, the best steak I've ever had. It was crispy on the outside but tender and juicy on the inside. Key is to stick the steak on some thing to keep it submerged in the oil. We used those hot dog sticks that were in with our camping stuff.

Deep frying is the only way I will cook a wild turkey. They are not as fat as domestic birds and oven roasting tends to make wild birds too dry. We usually do an oven roasted domestic bird and a deep fryed wild bird for Thanksgiving. Guess which one goes first?

kimbros, what oil did you use for the steaks? I have only ever used peanut oil for turkeys.

Peanut oil is the best, IMHO. Also, the cajun marinade injected in the bird is good too.

A little "well duh" tip on filling the fryer:

Since all birds are different size, it's best to clean the bird and get it ready for frying. Then drop the bird in the cool fryer and fill with water to get the appropriate level...remove the bird and mark/remember the water level in the fryer. That's the level you want to fill it with oil.

Dry everything (bird, fryer) completely, fill the fryer with oil to the level marked/remembered prior, heat and dunk the gobbler.

TJR

Blksn8k,

Yep, oil expands and some moisture from the bird will cause it to foam, and expand even further. Many people eyeball the level, and are too shallow when the bird goes in and then they have to add more oil, which messes things up; while others underestimate the size of the bird and overflow and make a mess or worse a grease fire.

All you need is enough to just submerse the bird...no more.

TJR

Alton Brown on Good Eats the cooking show did a segment on frying turkeys. His best suggestion was to position the fryer under some sort of framework above such as a clothes hanging pole, a carport or even a tree. After placing the turkey on the rack or in a basket he hooked up a pulley and rope so he could easily lower the turkey in the grease or lift the turkey from the grease from a distance. Also when cooked he could let the turkey hang for a minute to better drain. I though it was a very simple good idea and safety wise, well I myself would not want to get caught in that grease fire and apparently it happens to a bunch of people every year.

Hey here it is three videos to watch.

never done it myself, but be careful with it. I have been to 2 garage fires with my department caused by these fryers. can be dangerous

great selection at Bass Pro Shops. Ones I've seen at Lowes and Home Depot are pretty lightweight, even though they are called turkey fryers.

CAREFUL.........be sure to use the right oil or your neighbors will be showered by exploding bird.

hungry Buzz

This is a great video. Everyone should watch it and take heed. The Fire Fighting Training instructor at Charleston Navy base would demonstrate this with a deep fat fryer set on the fire field.

An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8 oz. cup at the end of a 10 foot pole toss water onto the grease fire.

What happens is the water being heavier than the oil sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field it became a thirty foot high fireball that resembles a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.

Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite!

Latest posts