Front and Rear Diff oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Marcoux

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Adrenelin 4.6L AWD, I took it into a quick lube place yesterday for an oil change, and while it was there they checked the front and rear diff oils, and said that they were discolored and smelt burnt, and they recomended that they be replaced. They did have a card thing that help the samples that they showed me, but the be honest I have absolutely no clue about diff oils as this is the first truck I have owner. I didnt get them replaced for now.

My question is, the truck has 65,000km ( 40,000 miles). Is it normal for the diff oils to be replaced this early, or is the lube place just trying to make some extra $$. For what its worth I have used this lube place for years and have always found them to be honest and reliable. How often do you normally need to replace thes fluids?

Thanks for your help!

Extra $$. Follow the recommended intervals in your owners manual and try to stay with the Motorcraft lubricants. Other brands are good, just use synthetic. Bob

NO, FORGET THEM.......

Dam oil change places....

100K miles....

Todd Z

You still have your drivetrain warranty. Take it to a real Ford dealer and have them check it out.

At worst you might gain nothing but the peace of mind that nothing's wrong. You might get a free diff. inspection and/or diff. lube change. Or they might find a real problem and fix it under warranty.

IME the differentials are the most neglected parts on a passenger car/truck. A little attention for them now and then is definitely a Good Thing.