fram

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as good quality, less filtration, cheaply made...

Not the best choice with what else is out there..

Todd Z

Had a fram air filter in my 01 that disintegrated within 6 months. Didn't know exactly when, but i noticed it after I had to do some under hood spiffying up. Decided then to spring for a KnN filter. It was still on my 01 when I traded it in for my 05 and still looked good.

my only question is how fram been around all this time and they suck. I've been using fram oil filters, just would like to know a upgrade from it.

my only question is how fram been around all this time and they suck.

It's the power of marketing, the average individual runs out and buys any product that has a 'nice commercial' and don't investigate the overall quality of the product. Fram filters meet the minimal manufacturers requirements so they work, but there are many products out there that exceed the minimal requirements so they work a lot better.

Fram sells inexpensively, so the quality is not as good as others. Like K-Mart. You can go with really any other brand around. Its all about the quality.

The original Motorcraft filter is a good filter, and is available at places like WalMart and parts stores. Wix is good. Purolator is good. Napa is good.

Fram is not good. Even WalMart's store brand is better. That's really sad!

More than you ever wanted to know about Oil Filters can be found at the link below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some many years ago, fram was good. Cost of marketing ruined them and the bean counters. Two things fram changed on the oil filter is the filter end plate is cardboard. The other is the inlet flapper is rubber, not nitrile silicone like more modern qaulity.

I think they still have a comparable air filter to others in the same price range.

Is it true about Fram filters being manufactured using toilet paper? I went to TJ and saw a bull pissing in a Corona bottle. Tasted OK with a lime wedge though. LOL.:lol:

SWS, when in 'NAM drinking the local beer. It had a tiger on the label. The best way to discribe the tastes was, horse piss mixed with limburger cheese.:lol:

OK FE4, did u actually drink the stuff? U sure it didn't come from an elephant? BTW- WTF is "limburger"? Are you from Wisconsin? :p

SWS, we drank it when the local bars had no american beer or we were short on $$. After about 4 it didnt mater. I think the alchol content was 20%. I dont know where the chesse comes from but limburger, stinks like something rotten. Im from Texas.

It might have been panther piss. That was the pic on the label. It was a left over beer from the french colony,:lol:

A Fram won't necessarily blow up your motor but the simple fact is that there are better quality filters available for the same money (Motorcraft) or less (Super Tech).

Best filter for the money:

Motorcraft

A little better filter for a little more money:

Wix

NAPA Gold

Purolator PureONE

Best filter for a lot of money:

K&N

Mobil 1

Mobil 1 for me.

I agree with Fast Eddie: Get rid of that glued cardboard endcap (what were they thinking?) and the rubber check valve and I would probably start using them. However, the metal wall of the can is pretty thin too- probably not good for off-road use.

Latest posts