Four Wheel Drive Module bad?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US Crusader

Reaction score
So here is my issue, I just bought an 02 Sport Trac from the dealership, who bent me over and raped me in the long run:angry::soap:, and come to find out the 4x4 doesn't work. When switching the truck from 2wd to 4wd it does nothing, no lights on the instrument panel nothing. The dealership is telling me its the 4wd Module and that they can fix it for $500. I just bought this vehicle from them thinking it was already 4wd and now they are telling me I have to pay to have that fixed. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it something I can do myself, or could it be something simpler? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am exhausted dealing with the dealership, since this wasn't the only thing wrong with it after i drove it off the lot. Again thanks everyone.

<--------------------Projects section.... SIMPLE and easy to do !!

Todd Z

Todd,

Very new to the site, and didn't even see that their. Pretty excited to scope that out.

Thanks.

RedRanger,

Just went and tried it. No luck. :banghead:

I did just notice when turning the key to the ON position all dashboard warning lights light up except the 4wd indicators. Is that a clue?

Thanks for the help so far.

You just remove two screws, install the new one, and plug in two plugs. No programming required. Takes five minutes.

Joseph, good luck with your new car. In addition to replacing that module you might want to service the transfer case and differentials too. I've got a hunch that your car needs to be "caught up" on maintenance. You'll find plenty of help here. YouTube is also good for DIY videos.

My module does a fair amount of "clicking" and will engage sometimes. I think my problem is the engagement motor itself. When it does engage, sounds like it doesn't

"sync" with the transfer case...lots of plastic sounding grinding, then a clunk.

Didn't find any DIY in the project section regarding the motor, I'll look on You Tube. Neither the module's, or the engagement motors are anythinng the local dealer has seen.

Anyone experience something similar?

thanks

Yes, but I haven't gotten around to lubing the motor and parts. I hear the clunk only when switching to 4WD Low. Engage the 4WD at least monthly.

I bought a new module from Coast2Coast. Got it installed and the 4x4 worked one time before the clicking and no engagement started again. Any more ideas? I don't think I bought a "bad" module, seems to be more to the problem.

For mine, the first time I tried it, I heard only a "click" from the right kick panel, but no 4WD engagement. The transfer case shift motor was bad or frozen. I hadn't tried it in the 19 months and 40,000 miles I had it - bad move. It was either bad from new or I killed it by not using it (my guess). I now engage at least monthly.

Can you provide some background?

Was it diagnosed or was the module replaced as an experiment?

What were the symptoms (noises, no noises)?