*##* Ford

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
The upper bolt of the arm that holds the rear stabilizer bar fell off my ST the other day. I went to the Ford dealer this morning on the way to work to get a new one and they say I will have to order a package of 4 because that's the only way Ford ships them. At over $4 a piece (not including the washer) needless to say I told them what they could do with their bolts. Pisses me off though. No wonder Ford is going down the tubes.

Toyota, Honda, and all others do the same. It is not feesable to package each bolt 1 per pack. That is the way it is. When my brother borrowed my EE Sway Bar, he managed to lose all the sway bolts, so I had to go out to the dealer to buy new ones...with my brother paying for them.

The dealer did only sell me the bolts I needed and they kept the rest. I can stop up there to find out if they still have them in stock...if you want me to.

We went to the Toyota dealer to pick up some screws for the door handle. They came in a package of 25. The door only took 3. They would not break the bag apart for me.

Tom

I don't drive a Toyota of Honda. I drive a Ford. It's one thing when parts have to be imported from Japan but when it's built right here in the US you would think I could get one damn bolt.

See if you can get the same size bolt at a hardware store or Lowe's or wherever. I know Lowe's has Grade 8's in different sizes.

Tom T,

You made this comment...

Pisses me off though. No wonder Ford is going down the tubes.

If that is the reason Ford is going down the tubes and Toyota and Honda are doing the same thing as Ford is, why aren't they going down the tubes?

I am leaving the house now. I guess I won't need to stop my dealer and see if I can get you a bolt.

Have a great day.

Tom

If that is the reason Ford is going down the tubes and Toyota and Honda are doing the same thing as Ford is, why aren't they going down the tubes?

You obviously did not read my post above. I don't care about Toyota of Honda. I drive an American made and built Ford and expect to be able to get parts for it. Excuse me if that's asking to much.

Jeez people.. Honestly it is just a single bolt. Sounds like Karma Police woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I agree that 4 bucks is too much for one bolt, let alone having to buy 4 of them only needing one.

Tom-- Bypass the dealer and head straight for Lowes with the bolt from the other side in hand, go to the hardware section where they sell the specialty hardware (should be an aisle of drawers) and find the grade 8 hardware. Match up your bolt thread/pitch, give them $1.50 for your new bolt and be on your way... My brother and I have built all sorts of things for cars from home depot/lowes. There are a few cars running custom PVC air intakes running around that he fabricated, as well as some cold air dividers made from heavy gauge sheet metal he cut/bent.

Guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Would it matter if it was full thread? The oem bolt is only half threaded.

You should have taken out the bolt and showed us a pic, I bet I have 12 of them in my garage...

Todd Z

Odds are, they are metric and Lowes or Home Depot will not have them.

Dealer will be your only choice, unless you can find a speciality fastener shop. My uncle owns one and doesn't stock many metric bolts.

Tom

M12x1.75x60. Not sure about the thread. I could probably find one on-line but shipping will cost more then the bolt is worth. May do what Dingo suggests and cruise the junkyards this weekend. If I pull it myself they may not charge me for it.

Come on man, it's not like they are asking you to pay for a new tranny even though you only need a gasket. It's 16 bucks, don't be so cheep, chicks don't dig cheep.

Ape Out.

It's not the money so much. It's the principle. Just don't understand why Ford won't sell a single bolt. Bad enough to charge $4 for a part that costs them 25 cents. I would be more then willing to pay their inflated price for one but for four? Just not willing to bend over and take it that far! :rolleyes:

Latest posts