Finally something breaks....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracN Jack

Reaction score
Well the Trac is now paid for...

First time some thing has gone south on the truck since 2002 new.

Went to use the AC and no cold air....

I checked the fuses and relay...the AC compressor clutch is not engaging at all

any ideas?

I do have the extended warranty. most like will have to go to the dealer for this i think...bummer

You can jump the low switch for a second to confirm the electrical part is fine...

More than likely your low on 134A.....

Todd Z

On the same page, you can test for power at the low pressure switch. You will have power on one side only as the switch is what allows the power to get to the AC clutch...

Man if you have not had ANY issues in the 5 years of owning your truck then I would not sweat this little incident. Like Todd stated, more than likely it is low on refrigerant (not too surprising after 5 yrs) so you're still doing good.

Nope,

The connector to jump is located on the Passenger side of the truck screwed into the canister.

Start the truck, Put the ac on high, cold max fan....

Then jump the connector, if the compressor clicks on, your low on refrigerant..

Todd Z

Almost all the Fords I've owned have AC problems. Have it die tested. But your low on 134A. I think bottles are available over the counter at autoparts stores, but I'm not sure.

My ST had a leak, thanks to some idoit on the line, about 6 months into the ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumpered the connector initially and no response..

Picked up a R-143 refill with a trigger valve and gauge

The gauge showed right on the line between low and filled.

if the trigger is pressed it imediately goes to the Alert/Yellow marking on the gauge

If I take4 the gauge off of the low pressure connector and then put it back on it is barely showing in the Filled range.

Tried jumpreing the sconnector again and the compressor engages.. but still no cool air..

I am guessing you had a poor connection the first time you jumped the switch as no matter there is any freon or not in the system the jumped switch will engage the compressor as long as all the basics are good, (inside switch on A/C, no blown fuses etc etc).

Sounds like you have a leak. Not uncommon...

Well, I tested the pressure and tried recharging with another manifold unit..

This worked much better!

I Found that the system my have never been chraged completely from the factory and in the past sure would cycle alot! On, of on off

I charged it up and it was getting cold..

so I charged our 94 Explorer that had never been charged (100K on the OD) and It behaved differently than the ST did and was not cycling as much. Nice ICE cold air!

So I went back to the ST AND kept adding 134A to it during the cycling process and watched the pressure. finally it stopped cycling and stayed engaged, no the air was finaaly cilling to what I expected.

So I hope it stays this way and I will check it again in a couple of weeks.:)