ethanol try-out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy-The-Ute

Reaction score
Hey I found a E85 distributor not far from my home. In fact right next to where I go to church. Apparently it is a new distributor because when I did a search on a DOE web site for a place in Vegas there was only one way accross town and that was the only distributor in the 300 mile radius. The DOE web site put very few public distributors in the West. But it looks like Minnesota seem to have more than the rest of the nation put together. Anyhow unless you all tell me no I'm going to tryout my FFV next time my Sport Trac needs fuel. :blink:

TERRIBLE MPG WITH E85!!!!! 18 gallons only got me less than 200 miles. Reg. will get me 325-350 miles with the samge amount of gas. Not worth it. You could almost see the needle move.

Ashaman,

the truck may have run better b/c E85 is 105octane, and the exhaust should smell like corn, or whatever kind of alcohol it is...

Try it. You have to figure out what the cost per mile is for you.

I.E.: If regular gasoline costs 2.90/gal and you get 18 mpg, then your cost per mile is $.16/mile.

If E85 costs $2.00/gal and you get 13 mpg, then your cost per mile is $15/mile. (See edit below)

So even though you are getting less mpg, it is costing you less to drive.

I'd give it a shot!

EDIT: :lol: $.15/mile (thanks Nobleman)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mookie, that may be so but your also concerned with filling the tank almost twice as often (in Timmy's case). And if there is only one distributor in his area, well.... Also, for the savings vs. having to fill up more often, there's no balance IMO.

Yes, Spiff, it's true, one does have to fill up more frequently with E85 and the hassle may not be worth the savings (if any).

And the numbers for using E85 are an estimate based on what I have read here on this board - actual mileage and cost will probably be different....

Your church and Las Vegas jokes are cold.:blink: This is just a try-out of ethanol. The price difference (about $0.05 a gal. less) is not worth regular use. And it isn't near work where I usually buy my gas.

If you have to fill up at least one and a half times as much within a given 4-week period, how much more beneficial is that?

Until the gov't forces me to buy E85 (and pays for my conversion), I won't buy it. Even then, I'll stick to the vintage iron where I don't even have to run a cat converter. If the gov't tells me I have to on those too, I'm starting a coup.

They do. Many classic cars (pre 1970) don't have catilytic converters, and in many states (if not all), you aren't required to have one if the vehicle didn't come with one. This includes late model vehicles with disels as well. Classic cars, at least for Ga, are exempt from a lot of laws, including smog testing, saftey laws, visibility laws, all sorts of stuff that allows a customizer tons and tons of freedoms to do whatever they wish, legally. Not so with new stuff where you ahve to fight computers, police, and emission testers.

The local E85 distributor here in Okla charges as much for E85 as you can buy 87 gas, so no way would I try it even if it was convenient.

Latest posts