ethanol try-out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ethanol is really a farm subsidy to corn crowers. Producing ethanol this way uses more energy than it gives back. It's a "feel good" solution to our energy needs that has no real promise. Our politicians still haven't got a clue.

I use E-85 everytime I fill up in Rolla, MO. It is usually 40-45 cents less than regular. I get about 20 miles less out of the tank of gas when E-85 is used (highway driving). I would buy it all the time at that price, but like Darin said, the Fuelman stations in OKC are ripping off our local government (their primary customer) by selling at the same price as regular.

You will get slightly more noticeable performance with the E-, but again,

will notice a respectable drop in mpg versus regular gas.

Also, watch closely the price difference between the two fuels, and

do the math (mpg/cost per gallon of each, etc...) to make sure you are

coming out ahead in the long run.

Just some helpful advice a friend of mine from the First Baptist Bar and Grill

passed along to me here in Tennessee!!!:eek:

Did you know, if all the vehicles in the USA we switched out to a Fuel Cell system, we would consume twice the oil we consume now?

Yup. Extracting hydrogen is very, very costly.

Tom

Conoco/Phillips is going to report a 75% increase in profits.

Just a thought...

We seem to be the generation that is taking "it" up the Ying-Yang...

Could we not be the generation to give "it" back to them?!?!

Generation X= The Sum of All Bad Things That Have Happened Before Us

/ By The Square Root of our I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore Attitude

X The Love for our Children and Grandchildren = Time for a Change:

X=S/SRA X L=T, or something like that:blink::cool::D

I don't care about cost or MPG I am not giving any more of my $$$$ to those rat bastard oil goons. 10 billion profit in one quarter is reason enough. I dirve 20 miles out of my way. I get extra gas cans and fill them. Trac does run way better on e-85. That is my rant, peace out.

In a reply to Mike, ethanol is a by product that is derived from drying out corn mash for feed. Years ago they used to throw this stuff away. I would be glad to help out a farmer/local economy rather than a oil company.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I knew for sure the farmers were getting the profits, I would convert

my Weed-Eater to run on E-85!

How can we find out if the honest farmer is really getting the profits out

of this?

NelsonOKC....

Which station in Rolla has E85? I used to live there and about the only two places that I could imagine having it are the Farmer's Exchange (off 63 South past Wal-Mart) and the MFA Oil station off Pine (by the Concrete place)...

On another note, my dad now sells ethanol plants to farmer's co-ops, private companies and communities. There are obviously some advantages and disadvantages. Yes, there are A LOT of subsidies that the tax payers kick in (not only for growing the crops, but for the land that the plant sits on, the production costs and all) but it's still a good deal for farmers. The profit of selling the byproducts (corn mash, etc) as animal feed, fertilizer or to the whiskey mills pays for the operation and production of the ethanol, so the sale of fuel is money in their pockets (especially with the subsidization on nearly every part of the process).

As a consumer, many can justify useing E85 even with lower MPG as a means of keeping $$$ here in the US and not in the hands of Saudi princes.... not me though, can't run E85

The line about maintence will go up is pure bull. You will have to blend 50-50 in cold extreme winters to help with startup, but the old BS lines like about the oil getting milkshaked is simply no true. All water vapor created by the ethanol is sucked thru the PCV and spit out of the tail pipe. Now when I change my (e-85) oil( I do not use regular gas at all since May)it is cleaner than expected. CAT oil analyssis(SP?) says no metal, no hydrocarbons, no surphur and no dirt. 5 gas anyalizer says 0- HC, 0- CO, 75%o2, 0- NOX, 25%co2. How about those numbers for clean emissions. I challange any and all gas motors to run that clean. E-85 is just s clean burning fuel that is good for everything.

RShek, the Mobil station has one pump set up to dispense E-85. It is at the same exit that has Fazolis and Panera (I don't remember the Exit number). It is a brand-new station.