Engine miss Will Not idle when Cold.. HELP!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M

Reaction score
I have been having a real problem with my 01 ST 4.0. It only happens when the truck sits overnight and he temp falls to 35 degrees and below. When I start it up it idles high like it should and then after about 15 seconds it idles down and runs real rough and often will stall. I can keep it running by giving it some gas. After a few minutes when the engine warms up a little it smoothes out and runs great. The problem does not come back anytime during the day or when the outside temp is warmer. I changed the IAC but it did not do anything. Anybody have any suggestions how to rectify this problem ?????? Thanks

Either the temp sensor is bad, The Maf needs to be cleaned, OR the common vacuum elbow problem...

Change the fuel filter lately?

Todd Z

Someone mentioned changing the coolant sensor. I have tried that yet as it looks like a son of a gun to get too. Thanks

Doug It's been a little over a year for the gas filter.. What about that elbow you mentioned. Whre is that located ?

Bill,

See link

http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=736630&sitename=mysporttrac

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Also could be an IAC. It is what controls the idle based on input from the CTS, (Coolant Temp Sensor) through the ECM, (Electronic Control Module).

Very easy to clean the IAC. There is a project for it under the Member Project Links...

Joe I cleaned and then replaced the IAC but it did not work. My friend keeps mentioning the CTS. I have hesitated changing it due to the location of it. Looks like a pain to chamnge

There are two sensors. One is for the ECM one is for the dash gauge. They look very much like each other. Ensure you change the proper one or you'll gain nothin...

I too have the same problem.

It has never really been a problem out here in AZ but just last night I almost got into a head on accident because my truck stalled when making a left hand turn and lost the power steering.

I plan on taking into the dealer tommorow.

Let us all know what you find out.

Thanks,

Freddy

Well I changed the IAC, the CTS (I think I changed the right one, located just behind the thermostat housing), changed air and gas filters,checked for vacuum leaks,cleaned throttle body, I go out this morning and still NFG..... Hate to go to the dealer but I may not have a choice. Anybody got anymore suggestions ????? It has to be something I am missing...

:angry: Oh I forgot to mention.. I changed the MAF too.. Still have my problem !!!!

Maybe I will just have to move out of NJ to a warmer climate ..