Engine #2 is knocking in my 07 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
I pulled into work this morning and opened the door while my 07 st was still running to make sure I was in the parking space correctly, and there it was, knock knock knock. :angry: I do not have time to drop it off. I have tons of stuff to do after work tonight and tomorrow night and am leaving for my family's place in PA for my dad's birthday Wednesday.

The first engine had 800 miles on it before I brought it in. Considering this is a new engine with only 100 miles on it, it should be fine until I get it back to town, but this crap should not be happening. I am starting to doubt that the first engine was actually swapped out like they said it was. Then again, it could be a problem with a certain batch of 4.6L's. I'm going to put a paint mark on the block this weekend. If the dealer says they swapped it out again, I will have proof.

Folks, I'm not happy about this. I really wish it wasn't happening and I would hope that something could be done before these engines go out with the potential to knock.

That sucks, Well IF they gave you paper work stating you got a new engine, they did the work..

I think it may be time to start thinking about the push for a new truck...

I feel for you man, IT does suck...

Todd Z

Pat

man I feel terrible for you man. Very odd that the 2nd motor is knocking. Like the others said,,,I would push for a new truck,,,likely won't happen,,but wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck

Steve

On Friday, the engine smelled like a new engine when I picked it up at the dealer. You know that metal smell that you get from a new exhaust? I smelled that with the windows down and it slowly went away over a day or two. Also, there was some spray from them filling the collant, which was on top of the collant overflow tank. So, I've convinced myself that the engine was swapped. The service department's computer was down when I picked it up so they said they would mail me the receipt.

MD lemon law requires that I send certified mail to the manufacturer to inform them of the problem, each time the problem occurs. The first letter was sent to fulfill the requirement. MD requires that must give them the opportunity to fix it each time. I can't just ask for a refund or a new vehicle unless I take it back 4 times for the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 30 days for the same problem, and it must be documented each time that I bring it in by writing the manufacturer certified mail.

So, thus starts the necessary paperwork to begin the process. :(

Strike two. Replace the engine and it knocks again, you have a case with the lemon law...at least in Ohio you word.

A friend of the families had Ford replace his Aerostar under the lemon law. The replacement van is still on the road today with over 300,000 trouble free miles.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the state lemon law, how about ford customer service??... I am sure a nice convincing letter to them, Nothing nasty, May sway them to just swap out the truck...

Worth a try....

Todd Z

Pat,

Sorry to hear about the problems with iyou brand new Sport Trac.

If I recall correctly, someone on this site had a similar problem with their brand new 05 Mustang. I'm wondering if you are having a similar problem. On the Mustang, the engine was not replaced, but major parts were replaced under warranty $$$ I believe the Mustang had a problem with the valves/valve timing and they had to replace one or both heads.

The Mustang was a very early model and was purchased withing the first few weeks after they were released and arrived at dealer showrooms.

...Rich

Letter #1 to Ford Customer Service is on it's way. It's required for MD lemon law, also, so 2 birds with 1 stone. And, MD is a 4 strikes your out state.

The variable cam timing is probably the culprit. Just 2 cases of bad luck, I'm sure.

Hopefully that is all it is and nothing internal...

Also with the lemon law I believe it must be the same exact thing all 4 times...

So if the piston was bad, new engine, then a bad lifter, new engine, then bad rod, new engine, I think that will not qualify, It think it must be the same part all 4 times..

Not 100% sure, but I am sure that cold be their angle around the law..

Todd Z

I have a solution:

- Drive to South Philly, park on a bad street

- Place a 20 bill on the dash, next to the keys

- Leave the doors unlocked

Then call your insurance agent in the morning and report the "theft!"

(just kidding, I would never recommend insurance fraud...but I can understand how it happens).

Sorry to hear this Pat. I know that the F150 cam phaser knock issue took repeated fixes before they found something that worked. Some of the guys with the initial problem also had numerous new engines. Ahhh, Ford, Quality is Job #1.

Very sorry to hear your having the issue. It really tears at you.

I would do pretty much as you have. Present the letter simply to get it documented correctly and pretty much ask for another vehicle. 2 Engines is bad Juju.

Need to walk away at some point, this looks like a good point to do so..

Very best of luck to you..

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll drop it off next Monday and go from here. I like the truck, I just want a good engine. If it takes 5 engines to get it right, that's fine with me. Todd Z is right, it has to be the same problem. But, if they buy the truck back under lemon law, I'm just going to buy another ST with the V8 anyway, so my chances of this happening again are not zero.

I did a search on the web, and any Ford with the 4.6L V8 can have this problem. It seems to be associated with the variable cam timing. There's a TSB that doesn't cover this year or model, but at least Ford knows that this is a prevalent thing...

Pat Freeman wrote:
The service department's computer was down when I picked it up so they said they would mail me the receipt.

You need that reciept..... go by and get it as soon as you can.

I had a lot of drama with a conversion van I bought new in 96, and the dealer told me they would mail me the paperwork the first time or two and I never got it. Third time, I said "no, I want the paperwork now, I'll wait". It bought them a few extra visits before I could get a lawyer invovled. The van was finally repaired at the conversion factory, but I could have skipped much grief if I had those first couple of invoices.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I hope it woks out for ya....

Good luck Pat. I certainly hope the dealer is taking care of you. For what it's worth, as long as I was happy with the rest of the vehicle I would just want them to replace the engine and any related components. A new car does not fix the problem any better than a new engine.

Pat - Man, what a bummer. :angry::angry: You've sure got me listening up under the fender wells on Ghosty. ;) 3500 miles so far. I'm like you, though. This thing is soooooooo nice:D, if I have trouble, I'm gonna want it fixed. I've been driving STs since 2001, love 'em:wub:. Hang in there, man, Ford will fix it, I believe.