Engin swap?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the transmission but just refreshing the suspension would probably be enough for the 363. I would be more concerned with brakes and the ability to stop it, though. Also, getting traction in the rear considering there's no weight back there.

I have an extra 351W that I've tossed around the idea of putting in the Trac. I still think it's hard to beat what Super Six Motorsports is doing with the 4.0L, though and that's what I keep going back to.

Hugh,

The 351 W has a deck hieght of 1.5" more than the 302W. Might have hood clearnce. Depending on the upper intake...

Austin,

As far as a Trans. For the right $$$ there are performance automatic builders. I cant recomend one ove the other. IMO they are all good provided they build it to your specs. HP and TQ. Best thing to do is talk to some racers. Get there opinions. Also there are things to consider, such as. Matching your torque convertor stall to your cam. Shift points to the engine rpm torque curve. Also if you are going to stay fuel injected or carburated. You might need to have some gear ratio's different from an oem trans. That would also take into consideration of what rear gear ratio, you want to use. I cant remember who. There is a company that will build our 5R55E trans bullet proof. For street service. I would use a 5speed auto.

Im not trying to talk you down or out of your dream. These are just pointers, that need to be researched. Not only for a less complicated installation. Also for the best performing set up. If you have the $$$ and the dream. I believe in having components that fit the chassis easy and match up performance wise. For the $$$ spent, best performance with no problems is more than a big motor.

I hope you have the $$$ and time. Plus take pics and make a project for this web site. I my self have been building performance machines since in my teens. Nowdays it is the lack of $$$. Plus Im 63 and dont have oomph anymore. 63 is not old, but it takes me 2 hours, to do what I use to do in 1...LOL. It would be nice to have more than a one car garage.

Good Luck. I hope you do something. For me Harris county, Texas. Is one of the most strictest in my state on emmisions. The Z363 could never be tuned to pass for street use.

Latest posts