Ebay/PayPal policies?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Clymer

Reaction score
Does anybody know much of eBay/PayPal policies? I bough a used item (DVD headrests/DVD player & accesories) from an ebay member a couple months back & made a post about it but can't find it. Anyways as soon as I sent payment, I had a feeling in my gut that something was wrong. Well I got the DVD headrests that actually look stolen to me but who really knows. The wires in the posts were ripped at the base of the posts, so he misrepresented the items condition and the fact that they would have to be worked on to get the wires retrieved. Something I did not want to deal with & should have been stated in the auction.

I kindly asked the seller numerous times to just return my money and I would return his items, & he simply refused. I resorted to filing a PayPal claim, to which he never responded to, and the claim was found in my favor. They recovered $200 from his account and sent it to me. The items original total cost was $450.

I am now getting threatening emails from the seller demanding I return his items, because PayPal took money from his account and gave it to me. I am assuming he discovered his PayPal account had been closed, hense the emails 4 weeks later.

In my opinion I did everything right and he neglected to comply on his end. I actually want to try and sell these things to recover the rest of my funds, but I don't know if this deal is over. In my PayPal account it states that the case is closed, so I just wonder if I am in the "right" by selling these things to get my money back. Any advice would be great.

I believe since you did not recover 100% of your money, you get to keep them....

I know with ups and stuff like that if you get something broken and UPS pays the seller, you the buyer throw it out, or do what you want with it....

Not 100% sure about ebay...

You can call them, or drop them an email, they do respond quickly..

Todd Z

I am with Todd. If he is willing to send the difference to you, then return them. If not, they are yours to help you recover the loss.

Once thing, if he does sned money, make sure it is a bank check or something like that so that he does not turn around and do the same to you as you did to him. By that, attack your online account even though it would be dishonest for him to do so. His character is already known....

I would LOVE for him to just send me the difference and me return them, but he just wants me to send him the items back. He believes that by PayPal taking less then 1/2 the cost out of his account, he is entitled to the items back.

I personally think I am entitled to sell these for the difference, and that's all I want. I just want to recover my loss and move on.

Bootsy:

I would call Pay Pal 1st The number is shown below.

I'd contact Pay Pal to see what they say. IMO, you didn't get full amount refunded so they are yours. I'd tell the seller if he wants them back to send you payment and then wait till your bank says it clears. I only deal with buyers and sellers where they only get my PO Box address only. Not my home address. I started using a PO Box after I sold some UZI accessories on Ebay to an odd person....I thought it was probably OK but didn't want someone to come visit my home looking for guns & ammo.

For general PayPal account inquiries, please call us toll-free at:

1-888-221-1161.

To confirm that you are the account holder, please have the following information available when you call:

Your primary business telephone number:

Your primary email address:

Your primary bank account:

Unless you're an Ebay Power Seller you will have to contact Ebay via email or the Live Help. You can find Live Help at the top of the page at Ebay.com!

Good luck,

Gary
:cool:

Hey wow, thanks gARY g!

I also wondered about my home address, now that someone is angry with me for nothing. Even though he lives in the Southern Tip of Florida, stranger things have happened. Good thing I have "security". Wondering if I should be nervous about that too....oh boy. :unsure:

Since the seller didn't respond to the claim within the 10 days, you keep the item and also get your $ back. Since the sellers PayPal account only had a partial amount that you were owed, when and if they ever receive more $ into that account, it will be forwarded to you until your entire amount of purchase (-shipping) has been fulfilled.

Kinda sucks for the seller but they didn't respond to your claim. Don't feel bad re-selling the item cause they hosed themself.

Bootsy,

There is a law on the books in most states called "Receiving Stolen Merchandise" and generally it states that:

If you buy, trade, or receive property that you suspect is stolen, you could be liable for a crime known as "receiving stolen merchandise.

The key words there are receive, trade, and suspect. You already said you suspect it might be stolen, and you say you want to resell it. Be careful.

See the link to what a Michigan defense attorney says about the subject:

TJR