Decided to let a little more fresh air in - No more doors!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Wallach

Reaction score
I decided to take advantage of the great summer weather and take the doors off. Originally, I was only going to take the front 2 off but decided to take all 4 off so I could actually see in my blind spot. Overall, it was really easy and took about 20-30 minutes to take all 4 off. Here's the writeup I followed: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161020&highlight=remove+doors

As always a thread is worthless without pics so here's a couple

afe6b71f5103dbd181c502772f5f3062.jpg

80a2d9c199c149cc6f250e193bd46f69.jpg

Me no understand. My state it is a no go. Also you must have side mirrors.

I bet your state is the same.

Unless this a joke. It makes no sense...........

I've got a seatbelt and it doesn't see any speeds higher than around town at the moment and currently is not seeing any trail time since I'm too busy to take the time to do it. I wont be driving like an idiot or weaving in and out of cars. Besides have you not seen Jeeps, not just wranglers but also XJs, ZJs and WJs, without doors? I'll work on getting tube doors eventually to add more rigidity and safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recon and safety inspection in VA?

If you did that in NYC you would find your ST without seats, radio, steering wheel, etc.

:grin:

Interesting the different responses between here and the other forum.

I told my wife I was going to do this last month and she told me how mad she would be. I'm still considering it. I'll probably have to wait until after I have tube doors and those come after the bumpers, sliders, skid plates...I want to get this house built and get back to a hobby, any hobby.

looks a little odd..but after driving a UPS truck for 22 years i could get used to driving that,..lol:driving:

I'm in SC for school and they don't have the laws like in VA. Only need a rear view mirror and no problems of taking the doors off. I've passed many cops this weekend and they all smile and wave to me as I drive by. It's a common thing around Clemson to have the doors off of vehicles.

And luckily down here no one is trying to steal everything. All my stuff is locked in the bed under the hard cover anyway.

Hugh you've got a full plate between the house, the ST, and the Cougar haha. I haven't seen you on the forums lately.

I need to do this to my driver door just so I can get to the wiring harness. My keypad stopped working and I think its because of a broken wire in the rubber boot.

/

I'd only worry about rolling it. Any accident you'd be in around Clemson would likely be low speed and few vehicles would even be tall enough to hit at door level. Not that you need me to tell you that, lol. Just adding some clarification for the confused.

Add to that list starting to try having children in August, lol. I'm also considering buying an '04 Ranger at the moment to put the ST engine into as a daily driver. A coworker blew the engine in it. I don't know how and he's not really a car guy; he bought an Insight as a replacement. That would allow me to sideline and slowly build the ST as I have it envisioned.

I've been lurking a little but haven't really had anything to add unfortunately. Doubt I'll even get a wheeling trip in this year. :cry:

I have been looking at engines for my friend and I found out that Ford made a 4.5L powerstroke (technically it was an international since it was badged MaxxForce) for a few years, 06-10 I think. It's basically a 6.0 with 2 cylinders chopped off. Now that would be a fun engine to have in these trucks since it already puts out 200hp and 440 lb-ft of torque! Maybe throw that in the ST and use the 4.0 in the ranger...

I take the doors off my daughter's Jeep once in a while. I did get these little spring clips at the Jeep store (4WD Hardware is near me) to hold the dome light switches off. To be legal you do need a mirror. The Jeep store has some pricey ones that fit into the hinges so instead of those I dropped $5 for a stick-on convex mirror and some velcro and put it on the windshield frame. :grin: It works well enough.

Wasted effort. You could have just waited for FSU to come into town and blow your doors off next fall. Go Noles! :grin:

Latest posts