Dare I try to haul a 2000lb pallet in the bed? - TT/shackle w/ 33's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
I need to buy a pallet of wood pellets (for a pellet burning stove), and the ST is the only thing I have to pick them up in. It is a 1 ton pallet, and I was thinking I would take 4 or 5 bags and put them in the front passenger floor board and seat to try to distribute some of the weight to the front.

Too much weight for the ST?

PS, I've also got to come home back up a pretty steep mountain pass.

Use a trailer?

Or, like you said, maybe 200-300 in the front seat and 500 in the back seat, and then the rest stacked in the bed might be doable. Definitely over "max" though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a trailer to borrow from the neighbor, so I'll unload half into the bed, and have them put the pallet in the trailer.

Just for possible future reference, how much have some of you had loaded into the bed?

BTW, I've towed close to 6500lbs up a pretty steep, curvy mountain pass that I had to do 25-35mph and it hauled just fine! Probably was a bit hard on the transmission though...

Just for possible future reference, how much have some of you had loaded into the bed?

2300+ LBS... I do have airbags installed.

[Broken External Image]:

BTW, I've towed close to 6500lbs up a pretty steep, curvy mountain pass that I had to do 25-35mph and it hauled just fine! Probably was a bit hard on the transmission though...

I have hauled train wheels to the scrap yard. Going in, I weighed over 13,500 lbs. Coming out I weighed about 6000 LBS. Yes, I was towing 8000 LBS. (Trailer weighs 1400 lbs empty)

Tom

I would not worry about it............

Todd Z

Had about 1100 pounds of top soil in mine.. No airbags, just upgraded shocks and rear sway bar on stock truck. Ran fine, but you certainly knew it was there, and it did squat down a bit in the back...

Ive put over a ton of concrete in the back, without helpers or air, and although the steering was very very easy, she handled it well! Just avoid the bumps, and keep your fluids topped off!

I put about 1900lbs of topsoil in mine. tt/shakle 285/75, and it sunk it i had an inch between the tire and the fender well. I have upgraded shocks and sway bar so it handled ok, but it was heavy. I only had to go like 3 miles on back roads though.