~ Custom '07+ Y-pipe...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
So I'm sittin' here at the exhaust shop watching them fabricate up my y-pipe with hi-flow cat's! The stock cats are HUGE!! I will post pics and a video in the morning.

We don't have emissions here in FL so I could take out the cat's all together....but with the way the pres is talking about things I want to be prepared for the future.

This thing should sound really nice and flow a ton better too!

Can't wait!

Hope it works out but do not think you will notice that big a diff.

The reason the Y pipe works so well on the gen 1s is the pipe is larger diameter with zero cats, keep us posted.

The 07 has large size pipe and HIgh flow OEM cats.....

Thats why I never had any made..

Todd Z

Wow does thing sound great, still have the deep tone of the 50series flowmaster but it's louder now!! Any louder than this and it just would not sound right for an STA. As for power: the best way to describe it is that there is no lag when you push the Long pedal on the right haha.

This thing screams, could very possibly be my favorite mod!

Ok, without a doubt I need to get rotors and upgraded pads to slow this beast down.

Gonna sell the stock cat's to help makeup some of the cost.

I'll keep you updated on the mpg's.....if I can keep my foot out of it!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Iceman

From the sounds of this mod, you should look at 14 inch brembos and 6 piston calipers.

Work well on my stang:rolleyes:

Happygil78: I live in Brandon FL....abotu 20 min southeast of Tampa. your profile still says your in HI.

I'd LOVE to get some BIG brakes on this truck....but no one makes them (yet). Gonna have to stick with the Slotted/Dimpled rotors and Akebono Pads upgrade for now!

Sure hope a company comes out with a big brake kit for the STA...But I'm not gonna hold my breath!

Darn near turned purple holding my breath for the Concept hood and Suspension drop system. Glad one of those came to fruition! ;)

Speaking of...where has DINGO been!? I have not heard from him in quite some time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be nice to be able to run without that Catalytic piece of crap. Had one on the stang when I lived in Cali, moved up here (WA) and was told they didn't require it either, was going to take it off but never got to it. Next thing I know, here comes the smog stations.

Be carefull getting rid of it, you may have to replace it a few years down the road. After all, Captain O is leaning towards tree hugin!

Ditto on what Todd said. The late model fords have high flow cats already. The cats being huge as you say,has nonthing to do with robing performance. Most likely the oem's have more holes per sqaure inch than smaller ones. The performance gain you feel. Is most likely the a better exhaust sound, fooling you. Needed a before and after dyno.

Instead of buying bigger brakes, you should get some braided lines made instead. My St will stop on a dime with 35's 100 times better than it did stock with dinky little tires.

Fast Eddie'04 said:
..,The cats being huge as you say,has nonthing to do with robing performance. Most likely the oem's have more holes per sqaure inch than smaller ones. The performance gain you feel. Is most likely the a better exhaust sound, fooling you. Needed a before and after dyno.

Trust me I know the difference in sound vs power gain! These Cat's DO give an increase in power...take it form the ONLY GUY WHO HAS DONE THE MOD! ME!

Here are teh pics of the Pypes HI-FLow cat's I used ($150 for both cat's & $150 for the install, plus I am selling my stock cat's for $40 a piece!)..the o2 bung was welded in behind teh cat, no check engine lights came on either! it is 48state legal and there is a power increase adn the sound being as loud as it is...well that's just a plus!

A highly recommended Mod!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Not dissen Ice, you may be the only one who has done the deed.

But a diff sound can play tricks with your Butt dyno.

To bad no pre and post dyno numbers can be posted, thats what makes a Mod credible.

Only 48 state legal? What's the other tree hugger state?

I thought the law was that you could only replace catalytic converters if they were non functional, that replacing them for any other reason was illegal? (Not that I care, or am a law expert; just curious)

I still haven't gotten the Y-pipe for the Gen 1 st...and do steel brake lines really work that much better?

Braided Brake lines are better, a little diff for sure.

Just got smoged in kali with a Y pipe (no front cats), looked at the rears.

put the CARB # of the EE intake on the paperwork, sniffed it, no probs.

save your old Y-pipe, takes an hr to replace the RT pipe, you may need it.

Carey,

A lot of things come into play.... IF you use the same braking force on a wider tire, you may actually LOWER the braking power.... Same for larger rotors on a car with out changing the master or proportioning valve...

Rubber lines expand, it is amazing how much really..

I am not saying wider tires and bigger brakes don't work, But just slapping on something is not always the best...

Doug,

I do believe things on the truck can make power, BUT the issue is if you get a dyno number there is no way to differentiate what caused the increase...

Did everything add up, OR maybe, one mod did an increase and 1 made things slower...

Maybe you increased torque and killed HP or the other way around....

Yes modding things is cool and great, But I even spent all the dyno time to test everything i sell and installed to see how much it really gained..

IF I add up all the claims, i should have well over 300HP at the rear wheels....

Thats why I don't guess on my gains, I use the dyno to prove it...

I understand you know what your talking about, But honestly I yanked the 2 huge Cats off my ST ( the rear ones) and made no HP over running 1 cat.... The HP was made from the larger pipe dia...

I also see they welded your pipe in the wrong direction. The pipe should be even or inside the pipe following flow....

Not saying it does not work, But maybe you created a slight back pressure situation and you feeling more torque from the V8 and that is the gain...

There are a lot of factors...

Todd Z

Latest posts