Cruise Control braking action

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have experienced a sort of "quick braking effect" while going downhill with the cruise control on until I get to level road again....is this normal?

Thanks

Yes, the cruise will speed up and slow you to keep the MPH you set it at...

IT does not use the brakes, but cuts the fuel to the engine or raises and lowers the throttle..

Todd Z

My Cruise dosn't seem to be slowing the engine when going downhill. It gets to the point where I have to hit the brake!! Are all Sport Tracs supposed to SLOW on there own??

My Cruise dosn't seem to be slowing the engine when going downhill. It gets to the point where I have to hit the brake!! Are all Sport Tracs supposed to SLOW on there own??

Does your cruise control icon light up on your dash? It shouldn't go over more than 2 or 3 mph than you set the cruise for.

TLJ, depends what speed the cruise is set at and how steep the hill is. If it is set at 35 or 40 mph and you are going down a steep hill it will likely keep picking up speed. If you are setting it at 65 or 75 mph it will be able to slow down on hills a little better because it is in top gear. At slower speeds you could be in the bottom RPM range of 2nd or 3rd gear, which would allow quite a bit of wind up before the engine can slow you down.