creaking when I make turn....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Poole

Reaction score
I have noticed in the past couple of weeks with my 2001 'Trac with 88,000 miles, when I make a turn, the truck seems to creak or*pop*. I have put new shocks on her about 4 months ago. I seem to remember that there was a TSB about an issue with the cab flexing. anybody have any ideas or details?.:unsure:

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Robert,

I found a tsb for the late '04 and 2005 Tracs related to Cab-Flex:

TSB # 042616

NHTSA Item # 10014310

Description: Customers may experience a creaking or popping noise when turning

sharply, or going over uneven surfaces. Refer to revised Weld-Bonding procedure

in tsb 042616. *TT.

I know yours is a 2001, but the complaint you described sounds almost exactly

like the above-mentioned tsb. May give you some ammunition to go in to your

dealer with, if that is the route you are going to take.

Hope this helps.

TnB

:)

TNB, do you have anymore info on what this would be? if Im in a parking lot and I crank the weel, I get a pop, but it doesnt feel like the cab (could be?) more like the steering right by the wheels. really should know what these parts are but i dont. could this be the Weld bonding thing?

Control arm bushings or bad ball joints..

Todd Z

unless the popping occurs when turning into a inclined driveway (that would be the bed mounts) I'd agree with Todd on control arms or ball joints. My '97 Explorer was creaking and groaning over any bump - it was the control arms.

Grease the steering stops first. It's a common problem with the Sport Trac and the simplest to cure. It only takes 5 minutes and a few small dabs of chassis grease.

If that does not eliminate the creaking sound, you can look to the other more expensive conditions like bad ball joints or rusted body mounts, etc.

...Rich

Sorry, I double clicked my previous post.:wacko:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard, I think I'll opt for your option! only 7500k so I hope its not the ball joints! Yikes. I'll try that, duraaaa, whats a steering stop?:wacko: seriously, I dont know but Ill go under there, i might be able to figure it out. emphasis on might.:blink:

Kevin, very cool of you, gotta check that out right now, thanks for putting that up!

Tracnblack, thanks for that TSB info. I'm wondering if this TSB applies to me. I don't get any creaking, but I do hear pops even after the steering stops were greased. However, could you please verify that this TSB applies to the 04 Sport Trac? My search revealed that it applies to F150s but nothing of the sort is listed for the ST.